C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 being a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 02:53 PM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 being a problem

My C4 has been a problem for the last couple of weeks. It developed a bad misfire and looked as though it was suffering from fuel starvation sometimes. I changed the fuel filter which did not cure the problem. I then fitted a new fuel pump. The new pump did not come with a new filter. The old one was split on one half. As I was not able to get a replacement in the UK, I cut off the part that was not damaged and fitted it to the new pump. All has been good for a few days after re-assembling the fuel tank, but today, the car started misfiring again and actually cut out altogether, but restarted. I am wondering if the part of the fuel strainer is kinked as it is perhaps to long fitted vertically. I am ordering a new strainer to see if this cures the problem. Any thoughts anyone?. Also, does anyone know the colour of the wire from the heat sensor on the RH cylinder head to the back of the dash module. I had a replacement exhaust manifold fitted, and the connecting wire has gone missing. I am looking to run a new wire from the dash module to the sensor.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:19 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

What year is your car? The best way to diagnose fuel related issues is typically with a fuel pressure gauge, do you have one?
The following users liked this post:
i987c0sw0rth (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 04:37 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Too long fitted vertically...

You could remove the fuel pump and measure the distance from the top gasket/mount to the tip of the fuel strainer, then put a tape measure down inside the tank to measure the distance there (being sure to get the same angle as the pump/tube assembly) and compare the two. Just an idea.
The following users liked this post:
i987c0sw0rth (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 04:35 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimLentz
What year is your car? The best way to diagnose fuel related issues is typically with a fuel pressure gauge, do you have one?
Hi, my car is a 1988 model. You guys are on the ball. Thank you for your quick reply. I will get hold of a pressure guage and check that out.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Originally Posted by DGXR
Too long fitted vertically...

You could remove the fuel pump and measure the distance from the top gasket/mount to the tip of the fuel strainer, then put a tape measure down inside the tank to measure the distance there (being sure to get the same angle as the pump/tube assembly) and compare the two. Just an idea.
Good thinking!!. Thank you.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:48 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Hi guys. How do gas tank sender units differ?.The overall top to bottom dimension must be the same as the fuel tank is universal for the C4 range.The top fitting must also be the same as the gasket and tank apertures are the same. What I am wondering is would the 89-96 type fit a 1988?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 being a problem

Quick Reply: C4 being a problem