C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

No forward gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No forward gears

Hi everyone! I just got my first corvette and have been a corvette fan since the beginning of time! My vette is an 84 with only 117,000 miles on it! I have reverse but no forward gears! It has been sitting since 2004! My question is, is there any troubleshooting I can do before yanking the tranny. Linkage, flush etc.? Thank you for your answers in advance! Peace, Kev...
Old 06-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

It's an automatic...
Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

No just in reverse. It will roll forward in 1 2 or 3 but only like it's in neutral. Thank you for responding. Kev...
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

How is the fluid level and color?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:05 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Elevin
No just in reverse. It will roll forward in 1 2 or 3 but only like it's in neutral. Thank you for responding. Kev...
With 117,000 on possibly the original trans, no flush is going to cure your problem. Out with it and rebuild. Chances are it as one of :

A. Forward clutchpack is done
B. Forward piston or seals are toast
C. Front sprag
Old 06-05-2017, 01:04 PM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee
With 117,000 on possibly the original trans, no flush is going to cure your problem. Out with it and rebuild. Chances are it as one of :

A. Forward clutchpack is done
B. Forward piston or seals are toast
C. Front sprag
The car's been sitting for 13 years. It's entirely possibly that something in the valve body is frozen and that a flush would clear it up.

Personally, I'd drop the valve body and thoroughly clean it.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:18 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dorri732
The car's been sitting for 13 years. It's entirely possibly that something in the valve body is frozen and that a flush would clear it up.

Personally, I'd drop the valve body and thoroughly clean it.
Is it possible that the reason it has sat for 13 years is that it has no forward gears???
The following users liked this post:
IHBD (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it possible that the reason it has sat for 13 years is that it has no forward gears???
Of course it's possible. Though I'd like to believe the OP would have mentioned that, if true.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:38 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dorri732
Of course it's possible. Though I'd like to believe the OP would have mentioned that, if true.
Maybe the OP was not aware of the reason in order to state it. There is a reason a vehicle would sit for 13 years. I stand by my original advise. He says it is his first Vette. I would assume he would like it to run and be as trouble free as possible. It is an 84, hence the poorest model of these transmissions. If it is original, at 117,000 miles it doesn't have much life left in it even if the valve body cleaning accomplishes something. If this procedure does nothing, not only have you wasted a bunch of time, you have wasted a complete fluid fill and filter.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I stand by my original advise. He says it is his first Vette.... If it is original, at 117,000 miles it doesn't have much life left in it even if the valve body cleaning accomplishes something.
I tend to agree. Get a different trans or rebuild the one you have.

Praying that something spontaneously un -sticks it self is Voo Doo.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

I'll probably pull and rebuild the tranny just to be safe! Tkank you to all of you for responding! I knew you guys would know! Also can I switch to synthetic oil in the engine? The oil is super clean but the guy before me probably changed it. Thanks again you guys so much!!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:17 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Elevin
Also can I switch to synthetic oil in the engine?
No issues on the oil change.

Congrats on the 84. I had an 82 which has the same TBI engine. How is the engine running?

I LOVED that engine. Often misunderstood, the TBI is a solid performer when dialed in.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
No issues on the oil change.

Congrats on the 84. I had an 82 which has the same TBI engine. How is the engine running?

I LOVED that engine. Often misunderstood, the TBI is a solid performer when dialed in.
Thank you for the info! My engine runs excellent! This forum is excellent! I'm going to have to upgrade! Thanks again! Kev...
Old 06-06-2017, 01:23 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I run synthetic in all my cars, motorcycles and lawn mower. Its sort of a religion with me. I like something like Rotella T synthetic in older, high mileage engines as those oils still have a higher zinc level, which has been eliminated due to its effect on the cat converter. Zinc in suspension offers a "last line of defense" against galling in older, high mileage applications. I've read that the Mobil 1 high mileage formulas cover this as well. If you want to really get more information than you can handle look at "bobistheoilguy". Its just a forum so its mostly crowd "group think" sort of stuff but I tend to go with real user, real world input rather than the manufacturer BS.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Kevin Elevin
Cruising

Originally Posted by 73n95
I run synthetic in all my cars, motorcycles and lawn mower. Its sort of a religion with me. I like something like Rotella T synthetic in older, high mileage engines as those oils still have a higher zinc level, which has been eliminated due to its effect on the cat converter. Zinc in suspension offers a "last line of defense" against galling in older, high mileage applications. I've read that the Mobil 1 high mileage formulas cover this as well. If you want to really get more information than you can handle look at "bobistheoilguy". Its just a forum so its mostly crowd "group think" sort of stuff but I tend to go with real user, real world input rather than the manufacturer BS.

Thanks man I really appreciate your insight! I'll have more questions later for sure! Thanks again, Kev...

Get notified of new replies

To No forward gears

Quick Reply: No forward gears