C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 targa top questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts
Default 96 targa top questions

Okay, I'm a nOOb. So if I sound ignorant,....

Bought my first Corvette last fall. 96 LT4 coupe, Polo II, 78k mi when I bought it.

Right now I'm obsessed with the targa top and largely hating it. Like sitting under a magnifying lens on a 90+ degrees sunny day. Seems like a stupid idea.

The top I have I assume to be glass. You can see through it from inside. Were fiberglass panels available for 1996? Did glass top ever have any kind of liner? All I ever see for sale are blue or copper glass tops. Mine looks black to me.

What have others of you done to try to mitigate solar heat gain in the cockpit? I tried the "static cling" liner, but I am apparently the only one who can't make one stay in place unless I glue it.

I am seriously considering painting the inside of my top.

Any information will be sincerely appreciated.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by car addict

Bought my first Corvette last fall. 96 LT4 coupe, Polo II, 78k mi when I bought it.

Right now I'm obsessed with the targa top and largely hating it. Like sitting under a magnifying lens on a 90+ degrees sunny day. Seems like a stupid idea.

The top I have I assume to be glass. You can see through it from inside. Were fiberglass panels available for 1996? Did glass top ever have any kind of liner? All I ever see for sale are blue or copper glass tops. Mine looks black to me.

What have others of you done to try to mitigate solar heat gain in the cockpit? I tried the "static cling" liner, but I am apparently the only one who can't make one stay in place unless I glue it.

I have the same irritation with my top. I live in South Carolina so it's the armpit of the nation lol Yes fiberglass painted tops were available on the 1996. I have ordered a cloth black liner from Corvette Central.
Item #: 604113
Description: ROOF PANEL HEADLINER BLACKOUT

I'm still waiting on it so I can't state whether it works or not. Good luck to you!
Ken
The following users liked this post:
GRKLGHTNG (06-23-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the part info. Please post your experience and impressions when you receive it.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Kens94
Instructor

I will do that, I've been waiting 2 months to get it so it better work!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Standard was a solid fiberglass painted top.
You could also get the transparent top in either blue or bronze tint.
Or you could get both tops as an option.

I have both tops for my '96 (purchased the transparent from forum member).
I never use the transparent top during the warmer months.

They are not actually glass, but some type of transparent Acrylic.
The following 2 users liked this post by RollaMo-LT4:
car addict (09-03-2017), GRKLGHTNG (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

You wanna sell your glass targa to me and buy yourself a fiberglass one?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:25 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Not yet. Don't have a fiberglass one lined up for purchase.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

I dont know where you can buy it, but on my 94 that I just sold, it had a vinyl decal that covered the entire targa. It blocked out a ton of sunlight yet allowed you to "feel" the clear targa look.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:42 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats on your ‘96.

You may want to reconsider painting your acrylic top. They are worth a pretty penny in good condition, altering it would impact its value. Selling it should not be a problem or making a trade for a hardtop for your acrylic top.

B17Crew
Old 06-22-2017, 03:25 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by B17Crew
Congrats on your ‘96.

You may want to reconsider painting your acrylic top. They are worth a pretty penny in good condition, altering it would impact its value. Selling it should not be a problem or making a trade for a hardtop for your acrylic top.

B17Crew
I've been thinking about trying a wrap.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I tried the "static cling" liner, but I am apparently the only one who can't make one stay in place unless I glue it.
The interior surface of your acrylic top must be super clean to have the "static cling" sheet work properly. Remove the top, so you're not working upside down. I installed my perforated "cling" sheet about ten years ago, and it's never been off, and it clings just fine! I like it!

car addict (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The interior surface of your acrylic top must be super clean to have the "static cling" sheet work properly. Remove the top, so you're not working upside down. I installed my perforated "cling" sheet about ten years ago, and it's never been off, and it clings just fine! I like it!

I thought about the cling film then I found the cloth liner and decided I would like it better. My top is spider webed but not a crack. Wish I could fix that but I bet it would cost more than a replacement.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Thomas Moore
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrap it. My 95 came with a black carbon fiber wrap and it looks good on my white baby. Hope it shows as my profile pic. Tom
car addict (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I found a beautiful color near perfect match for my 96 on Craigslist...forget what I paid for it but it wasn't stupid. Came from a 94, brought it home gave it a wash and buff and have been using it ever since.

later, tiny
car addict (06-22-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:43 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy

I agree......had my "cling" on for probably 14 yrs ...the key like most things is preparation....preparation!

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 AM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

We are all noobs (or were all noobs at one time) to it's all good. Im finding the older i get the less interested in the targa roof i am. when i was younger i never had the roof on, now i never take it off. i too feel the heat beating on my forehead is not ideal BUT the look of the tinted roof is freaking amazing!!! to answer your questions yes you can buy a painted fiberglass roof panel, in fact many cars came with both (its a factory option). you can buy these off ebay but they arent cheap anymore...way back in the day they were usually $299 but now they are around $600. I myself have been considering the cling thing, just havent made the move. post pics when you do whatever it is you plan to do. also...if youre at all interested, i'm shamelessly promoting my youtube DIY channel for the C4...you are more than welcomed to watch some videos or even request a topic for me to make.
anyways nice car you have and enjoy your weekend!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC49...4LdMJ_d2KjBznw
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Kens94
I thought about the cling film then I found the cloth liner and decided I would like it better. My top is spider webed but not a crack. Wish I could fix that but I bet it would cost more than a replacement.
I had one of the cloth type inserts when I had my C5 and it worked pretty good and that was when I lived in Phoenix. Hold out for the one your ordered, I think it will fill your objective.
car addict (07-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 96 targa top questions

Old 07-28-2017, 09:46 PM
94Green
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I have a 94 polo green corvette with 41,000 miles, garaged all it's life. The solid targa roof I have is mint, want to trade?
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2017, 01:09 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94Green
I have a 94 polo green corvette with 41,000 miles, garaged all it's life. The solid targa roof I have is mint, want to trade?
Beautiful car you have there, sir. If I could drive over and make the switch, probably. But for now my A/C is my comfort. I'm going to keep looking for a liner that satisfies me. When the outside temp is in 50's to 70's, see-thru acrylic is grand.
94Green (07-29-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 09:14 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kens94
I will do that, I've been waiting 2 months to get it so it better work!
Since your post, I've been looking all over for this product. Nobody had it in stock. Today I saw Zip say they have it. I ordered it immediately. So, if I get it, will post again.

Quick Reply: 96 targa top questions