C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Chrome tailpipe tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Varoom - Vette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrome tailpipe tip

Wanted to add chrome tailpipe tips. Any recommendations on where to get a best deal? Also, installation: Are they simply held on with tightening screws for ease of install? Or do you need to make modifications? I remember in the old days, installing them with tightening screws already installed on the tips of my motorcycle and it worked out fine. Please advise.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:50 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Amazon is your friend here. Some tips have metal "wedges" and a band that can be tightened to hold them on. The wedges are only needed if your existing tips are to small for the new tips to tighten down all the way. I bought a nice set from Corvette Central for an 87 I owned. I had to use the wedges and they looked fine.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:58 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I recently did this to an Impala LTZ.

I looked at a lot of tips and found I did not like the kind with the screws mounted on the tips. To me it looked like Frankenstein's terminals on each side of the tip. I couldn't live with that, so I cut off the pedestals and screws and when to a more conventional clamp. To me it looks much better.

I also looked at Chrome vs Stainless. Chrome is a lot cheaper, but I have seen too many start to peel, flake, and rust. I went with stainless because I think it looks slightly better and it won't peel, flake or rust, and if I want to clean it up I can by polishing it.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Varoom - Vette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default done

Bought some stainless tips from Ebay, had to literally pound them on due to the tight fit, but...they look pretty good.

Originally Posted by QCVette
I recently did this to an Impala LTZ.

I looked at a lot of tips and found I did not like the kind with the screws mounted on the tips. To me it looked like Frankenstein's terminals on each side of the tip. I couldn't live with that, so I cut off the pedestals and screws and when to a more conventional clamp. To me it looks much better.

I also looked at Chrome vs Stainless. Chrome is a lot cheaper, but I have seen too many start to peel, flake, and rust. I went with stainless because I think it looks slightly better and it won't peel, flake or rust, and if I want to clean it up I can by polishing it.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome tailpipe tip

Quick Reply: Chrome tailpipe tip