Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Working On Correcting WHITE Paint.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Working On Correcting WHITE Paint.

So i've spent a couple hours polishing the rear lip of the bumper on my 89, car has 90k miles and Hasn't been detailed in who knows how long. It's been very hard to get pictures on camera that shows the flaws as it is white paint. I got the best pictures I could, I still have much more to do to the paint but you get the point. The whole top of the rear bumper is done now, still needs a lot more work around the car. You can see that this paint had tons of water marks, scuff marks, and dirt trapped in the paint, with wax over it. I used a simple microfiber pad, and wiped it clean with a microfiber towel then waxed it. To clean up the paint I had to put quite a lot of pressure and it was pretty exhausting, but it's worth it.

The pictures don't really do it justice as it was very hard to pickup on camera, but trust me , there was not half an inch on this bumper that didn't have a darkish black,brown, or orange/redish mark on it. These marks were much darker in person. I used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and it actually works very well, I would recommend it, cost me under 10 dollars. Waxed with Mothers. I also got rid of this ugly red scuff mark that's been on the car since I purchased it. If you guys have any tips or tricks feel free to chime in
Attached Images     

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 06-26-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 PM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the Arctic White Club!

Luckily when I got mine it was not too bad but...

There are always issues....

I'm a Macquires man myself... I for some reason dislike Turtle wax... I got the cutting polish from Harbor Freight and used one of their cheapo buffers with accompanying pads.. I then also acquired the same show car polish and wax all in the Tan bottles...

I've been applying the wax with the buffer and then hand removing the wax with micro fiber...

I just went to a Car show in Merrimack NH at a Pro Hot-Rod Building Shop and I was getting massive compliments on the Car. I was rather shocked really...

If I was you though and it's as bad as described... I would do a Chris fix Superwash:

His video does not wash the pictured Vette he does another car... His videos are pretty good and well produced... I did not have everything he had... But I used a lot of his tips... And I gotta say the results are awesome...
Old 06-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Do a panel at a time and spread it out so you don't wear yourself out! Lol. Keep up the good work. Our cars look best in the shade.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I have some experience with white cars and have used a number of products through the years to clean them. I use a clay bar for the first and last wash of the year on the Corvette. After claying, I use a natural wax at the beginning of the year and then before it goes in the garage for the last time I use a synthetic. In between these two times I use a good quality foaming car soap and wax as needed.

For my daily driver, I clay bar at the first good cleaning of the year. I then apply a good synthetic wax. In between I usually only have to spray it down and clean with a foaming car soap.

in my experience, a good wax will limit the amount of the spots you were talking about and the clay bar will remove them faster and easier than compound will.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dt86
Do a panel at a time and spread it out so you don't wear yourself out! Lol. Keep up the good work. Our cars look best in the shade.
That's about all I can do before my hands start cramping up!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MrJoelieC
Welcome to the Arctic White Club!

Luckily when I got mine it was not too bad but...

There are always issues....

I'm a Macquires man myself... I for some reason dislike Turtle wax... I got the cutting polish from Harbor Freight and used one of their cheapo buffers with accompanying pads.. I then also acquired the same show car polish and wax all in the Tan bottles...

I've been applying the wax with the buffer and then hand removing the wax with micro fiber...

I just went to a Car show in Merrimack NH at a Pro Hot-Rod Building Shop and I was getting massive compliments on the Car. I was rather shocked really...

If I was you though and it's as bad as described... I would do a Chris fix Superwash:

His video does not wash the pictured Vette he does another car... His videos are pretty good and well produced... I did not have everything he had... But I used a lot of his tips... And I gotta say the results are awesome...
I've watched almost all of his video's, gives awesome advice
Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I know you work on limited funds and while polishing is certainly possible by hand. It's a lot easier with a good dual action orbital polisher. I have a porter cable, but the harbor freight polisher is a great value...I think around 50 bucks with a coupon or on sale.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-5...her-69924.html
Old 06-27-2017, 11:01 AM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Wash with Dawn Dish Detergent (use Dawn to strip old wax / polish)
Clay
Wash with Dawn
Compound
Polish
Wax
Enjoy

There are an immeasurable amount of processes and products that accompany each of the general steps above but these seem to be the standards the pros recommend.

I have all the Meguiar's product and Harbor Freight DA Polisher ready to go as recommended by others... just need the time (and motivation). Every time I think about the time it will take to complete, I go for a drive instead I have read somewhere to disassemble the HF Polisher and re-grease the main drive gear, it helps quiet it down and reduce vibration considerably. Anyone want to swing by for a detail session, beers are always on the house
Old 06-27-2017, 01:25 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

My uncle let me borrow his Harbor freight DA Polisher and i've been practicing on my dads truck, an old rusty 2002 dodge ram. I plan on buying one for myself in the near future, still need practice before I feel comfortable using it on my Vette.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:38 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
My uncle let me borrow his Harbor freight DA Polisher and i've been practicing on my dads truck, an old rusty 2002 dodge ram. I plan on buying one for myself in the near future, still need practice before I feel comfortable using it on my Vette.
You aren't in too much danger of damaging any paint with a DA polisher like the HF or porter cable types unless you drop the tool on the car. Just go for it on your vette unless you want to hook your dad's truck up too.

Get notified of new replies

To Working On Correcting WHITE Paint.

Quick Reply: Working On Correcting WHITE Paint.