Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Jackzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 85 Spark plug wire routing

Hey Guys
I know this is an old topic and I think I read most of the forums, but still unsure if it was determined that the #2 and 3 wire should run behind the distributer even though the FSM says that it should run it front of the distributer. And also what number plug shoud the straight boot go on.
As always thank you !
Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I don't believe it could be called straight but #6 is the lone different boot. I've seen it called 135° but it is for sure the lone different on an L98.

If you look closely at the images in the FSM you can see that thy're NOT TPI images but much older HEI routing.

I believe your mention of #2 & #3 to the rear I believe is correct.
The following users liked this post:
Jackzap (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Jackzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I don't believe it could be called straight but #6 is the lone different boot. I've seen it called 135° but it is for sure the lone different on an L98.

If you look closely at the images in the FSM you can see that thy're NOT TPI images but much older HEI routing.

I believe your mention of #2 & #3 to the rear I believe is correct.
Thank you WVZR-1 for the info !!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:34 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackzap
Hey Guys
I know this is an old topic and I think I read most of the forums, but still unsure if it was determined that the #2 and 3 wire should run behind the distributer even though the FSM says that it should run it front of the distributer. And also what number plug shoud the straight boot go on.
As always thank you !
Another case of FSM weirdness. There is no way for the spark plug wires to go in front of the distributor because there isn't enough room between the distributor cap and the plenum.
The following users liked this post:
Jackzap (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:59 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I changed the wires on my OO 85 last Sunday. They had never been changed, and no one has touched this car except myself since new. #3 and #2 were both routed behind the distributor. I too saw the routing in the 85 FSM, and was perplexed. About 10 years ago I removed the distributor for access to replace the oil pressure sender. I was wondering if I had changed the routing at that time, but couldn't remember. I decided I probably hadn't, because the holders were still intact and untouched, plus I usually pay attention to details like this on this car.

So thanks for the confirmation that they were very likely always routed behind.
I think you'll find that #1, #2, and #3 all route behind the distributor in the area just below the distributor cap. there should be a three wire routing clip securing all three.

here's a pic of a NOS, 1990 L98 - with a few minor exceptions, the basic routing is the same for all L98 engines -

Last edited by Joe C; 06-28-2017 at 05:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe C:
Cjunkie (06-28-2017), Jackzap (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:20 AM
Jackzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe C
I think you'll find that #1, #2, and #3 all route behind the distributor in the area just below the distributor cap. there should be a three wire routing clip securing all three.

here's a pic of a NOS, 1990 L98 - with a few minor exceptions, the basic routing is the same for all L98 engines -

Thank you everyone. Greatly appreciate all of your information. Now I can get goin
Old 06-28-2017, 03:10 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Here are pics of the L98 on display at Mid America. The engine is a sealed Corvette Challenge engine and should be correct.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Yes. The posts ahead of me mentioned only #2 and #3, so I too forgot about #1 goes behind too.

And thanks for the pic. I couldn't figure out exactly where / how the 5-wire holder went. Now I see it in the pic.

I just used generic wires from Vato Zone. The lengths were pretty good, but of course not exact, so I had to do as best I could with routing and fit without it looking like azz. At least they are grey 8MM with black boots. Is anyone aware of a source for better replicates of the originals? The individually numbered wires would be nice, but probably not a chance.

I usually don't change things on this car unless I have to. I finally HAD to change the wires. They went bad just sitting. Ran fine last Summer, ran like crap this Spring. They were exactly 32 years old. I got my money's worth.
this might give you better detail of that 5-wire holder. while my wires are not original, I did try to get everything back to factory original routing.

I vaguely recall some place that had reproduction wire sets that were numbered. i'm thinking they might have been on a site that supplied parts for buick GN restoration. I know they have repro sets for c2 and early c3 cars. i'm thinking lectric-limited is the supplier.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Thank you for that pic. I like your car. Clean.

I see that your hood release cable is routed behind the distributor. Mine is in front. I'm pretty sure its always been in front. It's way up high, just under the plenum extension cover. No way to change it now, it has a heat-set bend that will never allow repositioning. Interesting that two fairly original cars are different.
- thanks for the comment. for the most part, I try to keep things somewhat original, but since it's a DD (160K on the clock), little things over the years have changed. as for my hood release cable, I'm pretty sure mine is wrong, that is, it should be in front of the distributor. I have pics of very early, low mileage 84 through 86 cars, and 90 cars, they all have the cable in front of the distributor. as for mine, it was probably one of those things that I got wrong years ago, and just never corrected. today, it seems to have a set in that position. I tried to correct it, but it just naturally wants to go to the rear. doesn't seem to affect it's operation, and i'm not into the judging thing anymore, so it is what it is...

my thing today is, just to keep it clean, well maintained, and drive the hell out of it. I still enjoy all the cleaning, detailing, and the occasional wrenching - I think of it as mental therapy. most likely, this 85 will outlast me!

Last edited by Joe C; 06-30-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Spark plug wire routing

Quick Reply: 85 Spark plug wire routing