C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking for advice on my 94

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 PM
tazman3469
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on my 94

I have a 94 6 speed convertible with about 86k miles on it. I've put a Corsa exhaust, magnaflow cats, pacesetter headers, edelbrock air gap intake and 52mm throttle body on it. I've also put a new opti, Taylor wires, and ac delco icm and coil. The car starts fine and is drive able but the passenger side exhaust gets so hot that you can't even touch the floor or tunnel on that side. I'm at the point that I just want to sell the car. I don't like the idea of selling the car with the hit exhaust issue but I don't want to invest any more money into it. No one around me in Johnson City, TN will work on it. Any ideas on what would cause the exhaust to get that hot on only one side that I could check reasonably cheap or should I just try to sell it like it is? Any constructive input is appreciated.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You need to put your 94 on a lift and loot at the placement of the cat on that side of the trans tunnel. There is heat shielding that is there for the original stick cats however when you use long tube headers the collector often puts the cats further back than the stock position. This can lead to heat issues if the heat shielding needed to be modified as was not when the install was done.

Or its also possible that the heat shielding was in the proper place but came off. Again get the car up on a lift and look at their relationship between the headers, the cats and the trans tunnel.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:38 PM
tazman3469
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
You need to put your 94 on a lift and loot at the placement of the cat on that side of the trans tunnel. There is heat shielding that is there for the original stick cats however when you use long tube headers the collector often puts the cats further back than the stock position. This can lead to heat issues if the heat shielding needed to be modified as was not when the install was done.

Or its also possible that the heat shielding was in the proper place but came off. Again get the car up on a lift and look at their relationship between the headers, the cats and the trans tunnel.
The headers are short tubes and the placement of the cats is stock. The heat shielding is still present. I'm wondering if the cat on that side is clogged. It was suggested I bring it to a muffler shop and have the pressure tested but I'm unable to drive it far enough for that. I'm considering hollowing out the cat but I know it will throw a code.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:01 AM
96LT1AUTO
Advanced

Flat bed it over there. If it's more than a hundred bucks to tow it then invest in AAA roadside assistance. It's cheaper and you get 4 tows or lock out per year. Good luck
Old 07-03-2017, 12:42 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

All these mods?!?!!!!

Did you get it tuned?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:14 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I just don't think that a stock cat on a dual exhaust LT1 is going to get clogged. Sometimes on the bullet cats that strata brakes loose inside and can clog the cat due to its small overall diameter but the stock ones are so large I don't see that as your issue.

Ahh upon rereading I see that you stated that the "placement" is stock but you didn't say that you retained the stock cats... are they stock and have you verified that the heat shielding is still in place?

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 07-03-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:16 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I would start by plugging in a scanner and checking the o2s for function. are they new? Id also check for the plug wires being on the correct plugs especially on that side. Check the cats to see if it is glowing. Check for air leaks at the welds... Its tight in there to weld up cats to shorties unless done so before install so there may be leaks. Any leaks will cause the o2s to read lean so it will dump more fuel on that side and if there is enough the cats can run red hot as the fuel is burning inside the cats.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:29 AM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

If there isn't an adequate heat shield...make one. At the very least Dynamat the interior.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on my 94

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on my 94