Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Windshield Fix?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM
72and86
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Windshield Fix?

My '86 has an arc shaped crack thats 3.5" across. Is this something I can fix myself or too big?

The crack is not a safety issue its just unsightly.
Thanks
Steve
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like it's time for a new windshield. You could stop by one of those windshield chip fix it places. Usually they have one at the attended automated car wash places or they set up tents in shopping center parking lots. They might be able to inject epoxy into it and make it harder to see.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a safety issue, the glass has lost some of its rigidity.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 72and86
My '86 has an arc shaped crack thats 3.5" across. Is this something I can fix myself or too big?

The crack is not a safety issue its just unsightly.
Thanks
Steve
Too big
Old 07-19-2017, 06:37 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Did it start out as a chip? If it was due to a thrown stone etc then your insurance should pay to have the windshield replaced. Call your agent and discuss.
My NCM insurance paid for that exact problem a couple of years ago. I even got to pick the shop that did the replacement.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Did it start out as a chip? If it was due to a thrown stone etc then your insurance should pay to have the windshield replaced. Call your agent and discuss.
My NCM insurance paid for that exact problem a couple of years ago. I even got to pick the shop that did the replacement.
Insurance doesn't care how it broke
Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Do your research and find a shop that has experience with C4's. If you don't you'll probably be sorry.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Do your research and find a shop that has experience with C4's. If you don't you'll probably be sorry.
That's the question you need to ask. Friend called a windshield installer and they said,"Sure we've replaced lots of Corvette windshields." When the guy actually saw it, he didn't have a clue where to even start on a C4. I've heard other windshield guys that have actually done C4's say they are the "most difficult windshield there is" to replace! You need somebody with past experience on C4 windshields, not just any old Corvette! BIG difference!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Safelite did mine. But, I had to call around to find a shop where someone had experience with a C4. They did, but I had to drive to their location so they'd be sure if there was any issues, they'd have the ppl to deal w/ it.

There were a couple minor issues, as it turns out:

the "trim" pieces they provided were not a good fit, and I ended up reusing the originals, after I cleaned the old glue from them
I had previously ordered the rubber from Corvette Rubber (like OEM and much nicer than theirs) and they installed it and discounted the price by the cost of their rubber.

Beautiful glass! No leaks. FYI, The ZR-1s came with a reflective laminate sandwiched between layers of glass. It was suppose to reduce AC load due to heat. The issue is/was delamination, beginning at the periphery and eventually working toward the middle. It's easy to see the "delam" around the edges, but it is subtle closer toward the middle and not immediately noticed.

Wow! Soon as the new glass was installed, you could instantly see how bad the old WS had deteriorated! (I had the standard (tinted) windshield installed, rather than replacing the ZR-1 WS...and I LOVE the clarity!)

Cost? Been a while, but IIRC it was ~$275 installed w/ my rubber and trim pieces.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:27 AM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I did Safelite also, staretd small but all the bumps and twists made it all the way from side to side, geico hooked me up, only have $100 deductabile, safelite, my trim and rubber ....been 2 months and its actually quieter...lol..targa was a bitch but its all settled now
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
That's the question you need to ask. Friend called a windshield installer and they said,"Sure we've replaced lots of Corvette windshields." When the guy actually saw it, he didn't have a clue where to even start on a C4. I've heard other windshield guys that have actually done C4's say they are the "most difficult windshield there is" to replace! You need somebody with past experience on C4 windshields, not just any old Corvette! BIG difference!
To the OP, take this advice and dt86's very seriously if you have your windshield replaced. And I think you should as your crack is too large for repair and will only spread. All newer car windshields are "glued" in place and have no trim pieces. So one car's windshield is the same as another to an installer. Not so the C4. I believe the C4 WS actually has "some" structural rigidity to the car and must be installed correctly or will crack again if stressed, i.e. you hit a large pot hole. Also the trim pieces, to my knowledge, are no longer available, thus the originals MUST be reused and are a huge pita to get off without bending. Most installers don't want to take the time. Hence shop replacement on experience and knowledge rather than price or as dt86 suggests, you'll be sorry.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:11 PM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by Weck86
To the OP, take this advice and dt86's very seriously if you have your windshield replaced. And I think you should as your crack is too large for repair and will only spread. All newer car windshields are "glued" in place and have no trim pieces. So one car's windshield is the same as another to an installer. Not so the C4. I believe the C4 WS actually has "some" structural rigidity to the car and must be installed correctly or will crack again if stressed, i.e. you hit a large pot hole. Also the trim pieces, to my knowledge, are no longer available, thus the originals MUST be reused and are a huge pita to get off without bending. Most installers don't want to take the time. Hence shop replacement on experience and knowledge rather than price or as dt86 suggests, you'll be sorry.
JM Autoglass came by a tried a fix. The result wasn't good. So they didn't charge me. He said at least now the crack won't spread. He told me to find a deal on a windshield and he'll install it on a weekend for $60.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 72and86
JM Autoglass came by a tried a fix. The result wasn't good. So they didn't charge me. He said at least now the crack won't spread. He told me to find a deal on a windshield and he'll install it on a weekend for $60.
Obviously he has never done it. You'll need a new A Pillar weather strip for a start as well as windshield.
Take to Safelite and plan on leaving car all day.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:22 PM
72and86
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Obviously he has never done it. You'll need a new A Pillar weather strip for a start as well as windshield.
Take to Safelite and plan on leaving car all day.
They quoted me $27X all done.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Fix?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Fix?