Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Car Seat for C4

I realize this is an odd topic-but I want to ask those of you who have kids:

Do you let your kids ride in your C4? how old do they have to be? Do you use a car seat? What kind?

I'm asking because I have a kid on the way, and I'm trying to decide if/when I will let them ride in the car. I also don't know what the legality is, so if anyone has some insight that would be great.

I know my mom let me ride in her C3 when I was pretty young (5 years or less), but that was also back in the 80s and it was a different world then.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:51 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
I realize this is an odd topic-but I want to ask those of you who have kids:

Do you let your kids ride in your C4? how old do they have to be? Do you use a car seat? What kind?

I'm asking because I have a kid on the way, and I'm trying to decide if/when I will let them ride in the car. I also don't know what the legality is, so if anyone has some insight that would be great.

I know my mom let me ride in her C3 when I was pretty young (5 years or less), but that was also back in the 80s and it was a different world then.

Thanks!
This is a good question. I'll be in the same boat as you in the not to distant future. Would love to hear what C4 owning parents have done.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:04 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

You might have an advantage over newer cars as with a kid in the passenger seat of your car without a passenger airbag you have nothing you have to turn off. Check with your state as to car seat requirements and age/weight requirements.
Bfenty (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Looked up the state regulations, available here (for my state, Tennessee)

Looks like the law PREFERS the rear seat, but there is not a requirement (rear seat, when available). From a legal perspective, then, as long as you follow the other rules as far as the kind of car seat they need, I don't think it's a problem. This is just for my state, obviously, YMMV.

That said, any thoughts on the actual SAFETY of this? I know the C4 isn't exactly the safest car on the road, but compared to your average daily driver, how much less safe is it? I want my kid to be able to enjoy the car with me, but I don't want to put them at significant and unnecessary risk.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

I was in a similar situation when my son arrived as we didn't own a car with a backseat and had to have him in the front of our pickup. Not ideal but doable. My concern might be the fit of a car seat in the car. The seats in mine seem like they might be a bit small to fit one in securely.
Bfenty (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Silver85
I was in a similar situation when my son arrived as we didn't own a car with a backseat and had to have him in the front of our pickup. Not ideal but doable. My concern might be the fit of a car seat in the car. The seats in mine seem like they might be a bit small to fit one in securely.
I've never had to fit a car seat before, so no idea. But yeah, mine are a little small probably, too.

All in all, it's sounding like probably not a great idea, at least while they're small.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:52 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well whereas the safety issue is purely at your discretion and yours alone I would say it has been done as this picture shows. This is not my car and not my child i just googled it for you. That being said I would. I mean you can't put your children in bubblewrap and body armor and expect much when they get older. But then again I'm a risk taker, always have been always will be. I want my 3 children to be that way too because it often pays off. Before my wifes accident when I had motorcycles I took my children on motorcycle rides when they were toddlers. So I dont know its up to you and whatever you decide is right.

Name:  Hayley_0500.jpg
Views: 3350
Size:  59.5 KB

Last edited by warrior4jesus; 07-20-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Bfenty (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:35 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I have not had anyone in the Vette under the age of about 4, so those early years are different but I did have my kids in a pickup from day 4.
I had a rear facing infant seat for the kids when they were little. It was belted in good and they faced the rear. As they got older and outgrew the infant seat, it became a booster seat that they sat on when strapped in.
Now in the Vette I do participate in a picnic drive for kids with Spina Bifida, most are in the 5-10 yr old range. I use the same type booster seat for those that need it. I also give the parents to accept or reject their kids in the car with the booster seat. If they aren't in favor of their child in the seat then they have the option of pulling the child from the ride. So far I have not had a problem.

I also used the same thing for the Granddaughter when she was young.

Hope that helps. Congrats on the impending Vette passenger.

Last edited by hcbph; 07-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Bfenty (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Nick DL
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the upcoming little one! I never put a car seat in my Vette, I didn't want to take the chance, especially since I have a truck as a daily driver. Once my kids were old enough to be out of the seat, then they rode in the Vette. I also have a 95 & I don't have the switch to disable the airbag.
Bfenty (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the well-wishes!

It looks like it can be done, with discretion. I doubt I'll have a toddler in there, but an older kid like in the photo posted, I think by that point they will be riding in the Vette.

Luckily? There's not an airbag in the '85 Vette so no need to disable it.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

the 80s was a flAt out better time to live / raise a kid.

i didnt need a car seat in the early 80s . im not sure if thats because speed limits were lower, cars less powerful, or people drove better...

im convinced car seat laws are a scam. government reps own stock /have buddies that are high ups in the car seat manufacturer world. so they make a law requiring everyone to buy one. need multiple car seats for one kid (a rear facing, forward facing, and a booster), even make them expire (i dont believe that all plastics automatically degrade. if so, thats a risk i am willkng to take).

car seats wont do anything for underwater and crash/ fire/entrapment (or shootings - kids get occasionally shot from stray bullets) - so its not a perfect solution. just pads the right peoples pockets.

anyways....a rear facing seat for infants - forget about it.
it now becomes a battle to find a car seat that isnt too big for the passenger seat.

that is your goal.

my 93 doesnt have a passenger airbag. good luck

Last edited by dizwiz24; 07-21-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Buckeye88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a 1963 British sports car and sold it to buy the Corvette. I asked a buddy with the Highway patrol about having my youngest daughter in it. He told me that they always prefer the back seat, but if you only have 2 seats there isn't much you can do. It's a personal choice.

By the way, congrats on the soon to be new addition.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't know about those rear facing infant seats. I've seen warning stickers in other cars about not using them in the front seats because if they are too close, the airbag can hit the back of them HARD and break a baby's neck. Maybe OK if the seat is all the way back where the air bag couldn't reach the baby seat, but I don't know how far that would be. Same with a small child's booster seat. It would have to be far enough back that the air bag couldn't reach their little face and I just don't know how far those things come out before they run out of energy. I've seen stupid pranks where air bags launch a full size man 10 feet, VIOLENTLY!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 PM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the seat stuff can be mitigated by what you are doing. If you are taking your kid out for ice cream and know you can get there on 35mph roads then I'd be less worried.

I would be worried about an extended trip on an interstate with a child in the front. You do what have to do, but wrecks are such violent affairs that anything can happen. Might as well hedge your bets.

My daughter is 5 and big enough for a booster. My 96 has the airbag that worries me. I'm not sure when I'll take her in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Seat for C4

Quick Reply: Car Seat for C4