C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Passive Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM
mjbaker46
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passive Keyless Entry

Bought by 93 several years ago & it did not have a PKE transmitter. Bought an OEM & trying to program it--following directions--tune ignition on, press trip/odo twice, with in 5 sec. push & hold fuel/info button until pke light comes on and stays on. turn ignition to off & leave key in ignition. pke light will come on and begin flashing. this does not happen ( transmitter has been about 15' away during this process). tried this several times & nothing happen, so decided to reach out. Funny thing happen--when I closed the driver side door, both doors locked & horn honked!!! Any ideas???
Old 07-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

The PKEs have a mind of its own. It will only work when it wants to, no ands, ifs, or buts. I have had my 93 Ruby since new and my PKE has been doing that since day one. For awhile, I disabled it but, I didn't like the idiot light on all the time so I've kept it enabled. For the past two weeks it is working like it should. I'm sure in a few days it will go into hibernation until it wants to come out of hibernation.

It is one of those things.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:45 PM
woody3882
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

There is a simple process to turn the PKE On and Off. (not sure but I believe it is by holding the lock button for three seconds) What happens is that when people try to program the unit, they end up programing & turning it off. In the Off setting, it wont work and they believe it is still broken.
I had the same experience on my 94, but I eventually found out it was a bad receiver. The receiver was located in a position that meant I had to completely remove the dash to get to and replace it. After I replaced it and put everything back together I tried the new FOB and receiver. I didn't work, out of frustration I walked away before I smashed it with a hammer.
Six months later I tried again after reading an article about turning the FOB ON and OFF. I has worked great ever since. So before you go to far out on a limb, just try to turn it on.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mjbaker46
Bought by 93 several years ago & it did not have a PKE transmitter. Bought an OEM & trying to program it--following directions--tune ignition on, press trip/odo twice, with in 5 sec. push & hold fuel/info button until pke light comes on and stays on. turn ignition to off & leave key in ignition. pke light will come on and begin flashing. this does not happen ( transmitter has been about 15' away during this process). tried this several times & nothing happen, so decided to reach out. Funny thing happen--when I closed the driver side door, both doors locked & horn honked!!! Any ideas???
did you get this figured out?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:07 AM
mjbaker46
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markKlein
did you get this figured out?
No yet. But am thinking it is the receiver behind the Driver Information Center. Looks like it might be a little "fun" getting to it!!!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:15 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

No yet. But am thinking it is the receiver behind the Driver Information Center. Looks like it might be a little "fun" getting to it!!!
In your original post you didn't say what didn't happen. Did the light not come on and stay on? Or did it not start flashing when you turned the key off? (If so, what did happen? Did it stay on, or go out?).

A few thoughts to start with. Check fuses 26, 40 and 42. Try the programming procedure with the door closed from the beginning (you might have to lean in the window, or get someone to help). Does the PKE light ever come on, or is it possible the bulb is just burned out? Do you hear the door open warning with the key in but off and the door open? If not you might have a worn ignition cylinder, try the procedure but when you turn the key off make sure you keep it pushed all the way in.

Also, do the TRIP and FUEL buttons work like they should in general?

Last edited by markKlein; 07-30-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Nokones
Drifting

My remote works best when close to the driver's door and well within 15'.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 PM
woody3882
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I could be wrong but I believe that they were designed to work within six feet of the car, Also there is a receiver antenna in the drivers door.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by woody3882
I could be wrong but I believe that they were designed to work within six feet of the car, Also there is a receiver antenna in the drivers door.
That would be a fair statement. Mine has never worked more than 10' away and you needed to be near the driver's door handle most of the time. It has never worked on the passenger side or near the rear.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default C4

Originally Posted by Nokones
That would be a fair statement. Mine has never worked more than 10' away and you needed to be near the driver's door handle most of the time. It has never worked on the passenger side or near the rear.
Try a new battery in remote mine went after 20 plus years worked fine before that all of the time
Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 PM
mjbaker46
Intermediate

Mark--you were right on. When the PKE light comes on & I turn the ignition to off & hold the key in tight the PKE light does start to flash. However, when I bring the transmitter into range, it does not program--the PKE light continues to flash until the cycle runs out. Should I look into a new battery for the transmitter? Bought transmitter off ebay, so don't know how long it has been sitting on the self--it's an OEM transmitter.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:58 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Mark--you were right on. When the PKE light comes on & I turn the ignition to off & hold the key in tight the PKE light does start to flash. However, when I bring the transmitter into range, it does not program--the PKE light continues to flash until the cycle runs out. Should I look into a new battery for the transmitter? Bought transmitter off ebay, so don't know how long it has been sitting on the self--it's an OEM transmitter.
Sounds like the receiver is doing everything it can, definitely try a new battery. Make sure you are shaking the transmitter a little when you try this.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM
mjbaker46
Intermediate

Mark, got it!!! new battery for the transmitter was the answer. thanks so much for all your help!!!

Mike
Old 08-08-2017, 01:20 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Mark, got it!!! new battery for the transmitter was the answer. thanks so much for all your help!!!

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Passive Keyless Entry

Quick Reply: Passive Keyless Entry