C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

coolant issue! help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:11 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant issue! help

I am new to the c4 platform. Just recently bought it. I noticed the low coolant light was on intermittently. The guy I bought the car off of says its the sensor. I checked the reservoir and it looked low so I topped it off to about half way.

Today I drive the car about 5 miles park it when i get to my destination I noticed about a quart of coolant on the ground coming from somewhere in the middle of the car towards the back of the engine bay.

The car seems to hover around 190 degrees. Didn't over heat in that small 5 mile drive. The coolant level is low in the reservoir. Right near where it was before I topped it off.

Did I just over fill it?
Old 07-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Do the easy thing and remove the reserve tank (the black one, at the passenger-side near the corner of the hood) and inspect the connections to it and the heater core.

Auto Zone will lend you a coolant pressure test kit. With it you might find a leak somewhere too.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, Thanks for the info. Do we have some sort of valve that would spit out any access coolant?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:23 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by CaliC4
Paul, Thanks for the info. Do we have some sort of valve that would spit out any access coolant?
What year?

The drain line on the reservoir likely. If the radiator expands enough, the drain prevents excess from flooding compartment. Check if the reservoir and drain hose are wet after the leak is noticed. Watch out for hot, let it cool first!

I'd check the radiator, see if you've got some air in there. Hot air would change the expansion volume. Might go ahead and burp just to be sure all the air is out, hard to do for us early folk.

Make sure you do it with radiator cold!! I learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:42 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

There are dye kits you can get for looking for coolant leaks. If you happen to use something like Prestone antifreeze, try a black light. It fluoresces under black like and makes it a lot easier to find where it's leaking from.

Back of the block, could be along the china wall. You'd have to pull the intake to fix that. I had one but it was on the front, the hose behind the water pump going to the TPI had a crack in it.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:46 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by CaliC4
I am new to the c4 platform. Just recently bought it. I noticed the low coolant light was on intermittently. Today I drive the car about 5 miles park it when i get to my destination I noticed about a quart of coolant on the ground coming from somewhere in the middle of the car towards the back of the engine bay.
Are you sure this is coolant or A/C condenser water?

Get notified of new replies

To coolant issue! help

Quick Reply: coolant issue! help