C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Automatic transmission filter problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 PM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Automatic transmission filter problem

I have a 1985, automatic transmission. Decided to change the fluid and filter. Took pan and filter off threw the old filter away about a week ago. I cannot seem to get the new filter to seat deep enough to allow me to put the pan back on. It sits about 1/4 inch or so too low, will not let me seat the pan flush with the mounting surface. I did check, and there is not an old gasket sitting in the hole anywhere. When i take the orange gasket off the filter, and then put it back in without the gasket , then it seats deep enough and I could put the pan back on. This is the second filter, 1st one from NAPA, second one from Oreilly. I know I cannot put it together without the gasket on the filter, anyone have any guesses, cant compare the old filter of course as i threw it away and its gone
Old 08-03-2017, 04:23 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I was going to say to look for the o ring in the hole. Hmm. I bought mine at the Chevy dealer, and it went in fine on my 93.
The following users liked this post:
FrostyMountain (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 04:31 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

When i take the orange gasket off the filter, and then put it back in without the gasket , then it seats deep enough and I could put the pan back on.
Are you getting the seal seated good? It takes a bit of effort to seat it.

Try lubricating it.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 PM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Originally Posted by confab
Are you getting the seal seated good? It takes a bit of effort to seat it.

Try lubricating it.
Lubricated it, twisted it, even tapped the first one with a hammer knowing I would bend it, thats why i bought the second one from O reillys still does not seat enough by about 1/4 in. If i take the gasket/o ring off that seems to make enough room, but the o ring seats against a shoulder on the filter, and the filter seems to have to seat all the way down to that shoulder, but when the o ring is put back on, it only seats to the edge of the o ring, creating the 1/4 in or so drop, hope i'm describing it clearly
Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

I've had issues with several off-brand filters. having said that, ac delco service replacement is the only way to go.

GM/Delco 82-93 700R4 transmission filter service kit (P/N 8657926) - best price - rockauto

I've bought several different kits over the years, and there's nothing like OE parts. for as often as you service the transmission, IMO, i'd go first class with this one. BTW, the ACD filter is made in the USA!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FrostyMountain
Lubricated it, twisted it, even tapped the first one with a hammer knowing I would bend it, thats why i bought the second one from O reillys still does not seat enough by about 1/4 in. If i take the gasket/o ring off that seems to make enough room, but the o ring seats against a shoulder on the filter, and the filter seems to have to seat all the way down to that shoulder, but when the o ring is put back on, it only seats to the edge of the o ring, creating the 1/4 in or so drop, hope i'm describing it clearly
Does it fit with the old seal?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 PM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Dont know, took it out a week or so ago and threw it in garbage, figured it would be no problem. The seal seems to stop it from seating the extra 1/4 inch it needs to go.If I take the seal off, insert the filter, the raised section of the filter goes in and seats against the first ridge in the hole. Put the seal on and the seal hits that first ridge, keeps the filter the width of the seal lower, and no fit
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Something is obviously screwed up. My parts book only shows one filter for that year.

NAPA and OReilly are normally pretty good, but.. Something is wrong.

Try the dealer?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 PM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Originally Posted by confab
Something is obviously screwed up. My parts book only shows one filter for that year.

NAPA and OReilly are normally pretty good, but.. Something is wrong.

Try the dealer?
I am dumfounded, ill use the Delco part number from Joe C. above and try dealer
Old 08-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Joe C
Race Director

I am dumfounded, ill use the Delco part number from Joe C. above and try dealer
just a heads up - rockauto has the same filter you'll get at the dealer - RA price is $28, expect to pay 2X at the dealer.
FrostyMountain (08-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:25 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I just ram those in there and they're fine.. If you have the same trouble, maybe try seating the seal first and then following with the filter?

I use a mixture of "Motor Honey" and ATF here to seat seals and just about everything else. It's ultra, ultra slick, and it helps with things like filter necks and such.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Did the seal just come off of the tube and is still stuck in the bore? It seems this happens from time to time. Have you looked?

Don't toss old parts until the "damn job is done"!! A couple of days ago a fellow tossed a compressor before doing the replace and now needs a part from it.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:23 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The old O-ring is still in the pump. You need to get it out before you can seat the new filter correctly.

One of these hook tools will do the job:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-66836.html
Old 08-04-2017, 03:53 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The old O-ring is still in the pump. You need to get it out before you can seat the new filter correctly.

- good possibility on an old O-ring and, the tool set. been there, done that....

Last edited by Joe C; 08-04-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:04 AM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

I swear i have looked up close with a flashlight etc., no old seal in the pump, nothing but shiny metal, i will get under today and look again, but appears to be metal as far as i can see. i agree leftover seal is most logical, but no logoc here
Old 08-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Joe C
Race Director

I swear i have looked up close with a flashlight etc., no old seal in the pump, nothing but shiny metal, i will get under today and look again, but appears to be metal as far as i can see. i agree leftover seal is most logical, but no logoc here
, no logic. as stated, I PERSONALLY have had issues with non-GM/delco filters. not sure if it's a tolerance thing on the filter seal, or what, but I have fought those things in the past.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:11 AM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe C
, no logic. as stated, I PERSONALLY have had issues with non-GM/delco filters. not sure if it's a tolerance thing on the filter seal, or what, but I have fought those things in the past.
OK. problem solved, as most stated here above my insistent and objections it was an old gasket still in the pump. The inside had worn so no orange just shiny stainless inner core was showing. Sure enough got a pick behind, it came out, filter in. I was looking but was too blind to see. Thanks to all who respond and forced me to continue to look for the obvious
Old 08-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

OK. problem solved, as most stated here above my insistent and objections it was an old gasket still in the pump. The inside had worn so no orange just shiny stainless inner core was showing. Sure enough got a pick behind, it came out, filter in. I was looking but was too blind to see. Thanks to all who respond and forced me to continue to look for the obvious
Sometimes it just takes 'new eyes' to see the obvious. I've had friends say "I just can't figure this out', and I'll walk up and say, "well what's this thingy here?" Or they'll do the same thing to me! DUH!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Glad you solved the problem!

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic transmission filter problem

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission filter problem