Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Got rear ended sitting at a stop light.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Hookdbyvettes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got rear ended sitting at a stop light.

I have been off work on medical leave for almost a month & was on my way to the doctor's office when I was rear ended by a 2008 Chevy Pickup. I saw the guy come to a stop, and then slam. He said he mashed down on the gas instead of the brake, the Police report has it as his fault. I can't pick up an accident report until Thursday. The biggest damage is where the tail light section and bumper split along the black trim. The tear starts at the edge of the tag and goes to the outer edge of the bumper on the drivers side. I stopped at the closest shop on the way home (they do great work), a fellow came out and checked it, then told me it's probably going to cost $1400-$1700, depending on how much damage is done under the bumper cover. It broke one tail light from it's mounts, busted the closer one to the tag & cracked the drivers side reverse light. He pushed in on my bumper and said my impact protection was now gone & would have to be replaced, but it worked when I needed it. All the body lines are still straight. It really doesn't look that bad. If I buffed all the black grill paint off the rear, replaced the 2 drivers tail lights, reverse light and the black trim (which was ripped from the side & rear), except for the stress cracks in the paint, it would be hard to tell. You can't see the rip between the bumper & tail lights unless it's pushed on. I already have 2 tail lights & tail light bracket, the black trim & drivers reverse light on the way from eBay, all for $80 bucks. I'm not going to repair those parts until the insurance has it's 3 estimates done then I have a mechanic who can repair it all. Hopefully I can save enough to repair some other issues. I guess it depends on how much the repairs cost, but repair shops are sky high, especially labor. The parts I ordered are only temporary, while I get the other body parts in order. Of course none of that will happen if the insurance company won't cut me a check. I found a complete '92 & '94 complete tail section for half what the '84-'90 rear section cost, shipped. I could get a '94 complete rear bumper/tail lights for 1/2 the price. Honestly I wouldn't mind giving the rear an updated look, the front's not changing. I did want to ask a common question which has been beaten to death, however I didn't find the most simple of answers. How far off is the black trim from lining up, when a newer rear is used on an earlier car, '86 car with a '94 rear? I just want to know how far off it would be because of cost savings.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:31 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I did want to ask a common question which has been beaten to death, however I didn't find the most simple of answers. How far off is the black trim from lining up, when a newer rear is used on an earlier car, '86 car with a '94 rear? I just want to know how far off it would be because of cost savings.
I don't know the answer, so this is a Sympathy Bump..

Sorry bro. I hope you get it fixed up.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Stomped the throttle instead of brake, major dork.

I'm doubly sad, I'm a huge fan of the early tail end.

May the insurance company do the right thing this time...or else!!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Here is my 86 with later bumper. No one has ever noticed it is different.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2017, 08:11 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Cept the beltline is a dead giveaway.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
Here is my 86 with later bumper. No one has ever noticed it is different.
Talking with Jason Frnacis (Vette2Vette) yesterday on another matter, I ask him about your situation. He suggested you give him a call, as to exactly what the scope of the project is. But, definitely, the belt is going to be the biggest concern - far as matching trim goes.

Vette2Vette.com or 815-673-6200

Jason's a great guy to do business with. Tell him I sent ya!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:04 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

concave bumpers ftw!
God​​​​​​ I would flip the fvck out if someone did that to my C4. you're a better man that I..

Last edited by armybyrd; 08-24-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Got rear ended sitting at a stop light.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended sitting at a stop light.