C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problems

I replaced my headlamps and after putting everything back together they are not opening and closing. The left side is stuck halfway and the right is fully closed and doesn't move. The motors are making a clicking noise but do not move the units. They were working before. What gives?
Old 08-20-2017, 05:49 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Hargrove
I replaced my headlamps and after putting everything back together they are not opening and closing. The left side is stuck halfway and the right is fully closed and doesn't move. The motors are making a clicking noise but do not move the units. They were working before. What gives?
Make sure all your connections are good and nothing is physically in the way of it opening. I know it's not a really usefull comment but it's all I have in knowledge of headlights as far as i've experienced.
The following users liked this post:
RArline (08-22-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Hargrove
I assume you mean the lights and not the whole headlight assembly? Try rotating them with the ***** at each light. While I can't confirm this, I recall reading a post that OEM headlights were plastic thus lighter but most of the replacements now a days are glass and a lot heavier. The latter makes sense from reading your post as this is what I would expect from using heavier headlights.

Last edited by bac22; 08-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:17 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Be sure the screws in the sides of the housings aren't hanging up against the hood as the housings rotate. The screws are special low profile heads so they don't touch the hood. If you put standard screws in those spots, your headlight housings may not rotate properly.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:47 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by warrior4jesus
Make sure all your connections are good and nothing is physically in the way of it opening. I know it's not a really usefull comment but it's all I have in knowledge of headlights as far as i've experienced.
If they are clicking, the pucks inside the gear is worn out. The gear is probably ok and you need the 3 pucks or bushings.

Check out carguy8t8 on ebay for the parts.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all. I finally got them. It seems it takes only the slightest of touch against the hood openings causes them o hang up.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight problems

Quick Reply: Headlight problems