C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 PM
moonhead
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure

the car is 1987,the fuel pressure when key turned to power fuel pump was 10 psi,started car it was 36 psi,shut it down and it dropped down to 26 psi in 5 minutes,i went to recheck it again 3 hours later and had 2 psi with key on,then started it,no change,i shut it down and pushed in scrader and barely any gas came out,the reason for checking this is because after driving car for awhile it wont start unless I give it a little gas,but it starts great when I go start it to in morning,any ideas would be appreciated
Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I don't think you have any choice but to check things out. Crimp off the return line at the tank and fire up the pump by turning the key. That should prime for a couple seconds. See what the pressure is like and how long it holds and we can go from there.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

There's a fuel pressure issue since pressure is a low. I'm not sure it's the only one. I would also be sure throttle bore is clean of carbon build up. Are there any codes?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't think you have any choice but to check things out. Crimp off the return line at the tank and fire up the pump by turning the key. That should prime for a couple seconds. See what the pressure is like and how long it holds and we can go from there.

I don't have the particulars (found in an '87 FSM) for testing the fuel pump, but this chart from Corvette Fuel Injection by Charles O. Probst might shed some light on the subject:

As I said, I'm not familiar with the '87s characteristics - someone please jump in here - but you'd want to know what the FSM says it should be (and I have a feeling it should be around the 37-42 psi range when cranking...no?).
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I don't think you want to use cranking pressure. What does it tell you? You are losing pressure when the injectors open. I would turn it on and see what it goes to without cranking. If you can't even reach 37, you have either supply or regulator issues. In which case you crimp the return line. If you still cannot get it and it doesn't hold, you have supply issues.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It should prime higher than that, it should basically be jumping up to run pressure at 42psi give or take a couple, then hold that pressure. As you fire it up, it should stay there.

Running pressure should stay around 42, until you goose the throttle, in which case it will likely drop a couple psi and recover within a second or two as the pump catches up.

Turn off car, pressure should remain high for quite some time, if it starts dropping immediately then an injector is sticking open. Sounds like you may have a slightly open injector, but that is not the main issue here.

Crimp the return line to check for regulator issues.

So from what you say I'd guess your pump is going out. Time to get the manual out and start testing that. It likely will never cause an SES light to come on.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:46 PM
moonhead
Heel & Toe

thanks everyone for your input,i haven't checked for codes,i do have a new fuel filter im gonna put in,
Old 08-23-2017, 07:48 PM
moonhead
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aklim
so just turn key to energize pump,then turn back off keeping line pinched and let it sit
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moonhead
so just turn key to energize pump,then turn back off keeping line pinched and let it sit
Pretty much. If the pressure holds for a while, the regulator is probably shot. If you are going there, might as well get reman injectors and do the regulator, disassemble the TB and clean all passages.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:45 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Key on, engine not started, the fuel pressure on an '87 (like mine ) should be 36+ psi. If not, look at the fuel pump or the mesh. Had similar myself, first started long, then started having issues had mid thottle and eventually, over a month or so, no start. Same problem at idle, the pressure looked okay then.

The fuel filter could be blocked too, that would limit fuel pump enough that the 2 seconds at key on wouldn't be enough to get pressure. Though, if that were the case, I'd expect problems at high to WOT also, it'd be running very lean.

Can also use ALDL to run the fuel pump a bit longer, see if pressure gets high enough.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

When the key is turned on the pump will run for 2 seconds and the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) will allow about 44 PSI (because there is no vacuum and the FPR thinks it's in a WOT condition. When the engine starts the vacuum will be maximum and the fuel pressure will be minimum (about 38 PSI).

Get notified of new replies

To fuel pressure

Quick Reply: fuel pressure