C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Electric tick ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electric tick ?

My garage is quite now and now about every 30 seconds or so I hear I tick, seems it could be the antenna. The antenna is down and the Bose radio is out of the car, ( 1987 L98 A4 ) The battery is fresh and on trickle charge. The car is on stands while I finish multiple repairs and I hope to start it again today. I don't remember this noise before but I typically disconnect the negative terminal as a first step for anything. I have the FSM and I will need to check the wiring since I am considering an aftermarket radio. Anyone had this issue before? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Not much to go on - so anything BUT electrical would be a SWAG (as long as the battery is disconnected...eliminating electrical).

Q: is it periodic or random? And, how often in (say) an hour?

If the ambient temperature changes, it could be the exhaust expanding/contracting.

Same expansion/contraction applies to the body; maybe a roof panel?

MICE!!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Not much to go on - so anything BUT electrical would be a SWAG (as long as the battery is disconnected...eliminating electrical).

Q: is it periodic or random? And, how often in (say) an hour?

If the ambient temperature changes, it could be the exhaust expanding/contracting.

Same expansion/contraction applies to the body; maybe a roof panel?

MICE!!

Pull the negative cable and heard one final click. Then I just confirmed the antenna, the motor is warm, must be an overload click, then cools and tries to lower the antenna again, (it is down) I am guessing here but I will look for the power wire inside to disconnect or last resort at the antenna where someone has already spliced some wires. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Electric tick ?

Quick Reply: Electric tick ?