C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sticky steering wheel problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:44 AM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Sticky steering wheel problem solved

I had a gummy, sticky steering wheel in my 89 vette and it got worse in the summer time. Here's what I did to solve the problem. I cleaned the steering wheel with soap and water, let it completely dry, and then applied KIWI liquid shoe polish. I used KIWI Honor Guard Instant Spit Shine and when that ran out I bought some KIWI Color Shine and it basically worked the same. I applied it to the wheel liberally and then took a cloth and lightly buffed it to get rid of any excess. It colors the wheel black, lasts long, doesn't rub off on your hands, and I have been applying it periodically for several years. Problem solved. No tacky, sticky steering wheel. Hopes this helps.

Last edited by ~ Anno Domini; 09-04-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

The reason the wheel gets sticky is oil from your hands. Dust settles on the oil, then builds up. Also if you work on it, one might grab the wheel with less than clean hands.. that stuff sticks to the oil lefty behind on your hand. Clean the wheel once in a while and it will prevent this from happening
Old 09-04-2017, 09:25 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ~ Daniel
I had a gummy, sticky steering wheel in my 89 vette and it got worse in the summer time. Here's what I did to solve the problem. I cleaned the steering wheel with soap and water, let it completely dry, and then applied KIWI liquid shoe polish. I used KIWI Honor Guard Instant Spit Shine and when that ran out I bought some KIWI Color Shine and it basically worked the same. I applied it to the wheel liberally and then took a cloth and lightly buffed it to get rid of any excess. It colors the wheel black, lasts long, doesn't rub off on your hands, and I have been applying it periodically for several years. Problem solved. No tacky, sticky steering wheel. Hopes this helps.
I use KIWI black paste shoe polish on my wheel and have had great results. On the carmine red leather seats, I use KIWI neutral color paste shoe polish. I buff it with a brush and soft cloth. Looks like new.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 AM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Hi ghoastrider1, thank you for your thoughts and that could be the case in some situations, but in my case the steering wheel had a gooey-sticky surface (more than just dirt and grime as i tried to clean it repeatedly to no avail) and having inspected it, it appeared to be the result of the material aging. The KIWI liquid shoe polish helped coat the steering wheel providing a dry protective layer over it. I did this fix probably 4 years ago (with periodic touch ups) and the wheel has stayed dry. Yes FOURSPEEDVETTE, the KIWI shoe polish is great for the leather seats too. I haven't used the KIWI paste shoe polish, just the liquid polish, but I'm sure it works too. it's a great little tip.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:59 AM
ghwinokur
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Simple Green?

I usually use Simple Green or WD-40 for situations like that, worse case scenario, Goo Off.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by ghwinokur
I usually use Simple Green or WD-40 for situations like that, worse case scenario, Goo Off.
I wouldn't let any of those get near my genuine leather steering wheel! You'll have more serious problems in the future with that stuff saturating into, and contaminating the leather! Use a product designed for leather care, and there are several good products available for that use.

Would you use that stuff on your leather upholstery, or your motorcycle saddle, or your expensive leather dress shoes?

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 03-22-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:34 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I'm surprised that the shoe polish doesn't rub on on your hands when applied to the steering wheel. Anything special that you're doing to it to prevent it from coming off on your hands?
Old 05-12-2018, 05:33 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Sorry mazdaverx7, missed the question, not sure if it is directed at me, but there's no residue. I just apply the KIWI liquid shoe polish on the steering wheel and buff it with a dry cloth and it doesn't rub off on your hands. I was concerned about the same thing, but it dries very well. I let it dry overnight just to be sure, but it does not get on the hands after that. Also, I did some reading about "303 Areospace Protectant" to use on the tires and seats, interior, and bought some and it also works very well too. I have not tried it on the steering wheel yet because the KIWI liquid shoe polish is still holding up. Hope that helps.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ~ Daniel
it doesn't rub off on your hands. I was concerned about the same thing, but it dries very well.
The shoe polish does work. I've used it on some spots on my leather seats. It doesn't rub off.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:40 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't have a sticky wheel in my C4, but I do on my old F150. Thanks for the tip as I am going to try it on it.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:36 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Same here ghlkal, I have used it to color spots on the leather seats too and it doesn't rub off and I don't see why it wouldn't work on a sticky wheel on your old F150 Silver96ce......hope it does help.....peace.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I use KIWI black paste shoe polish on my wheel and have had great results. On the carmine red leather seats, I use KIWI neutral color paste shoe polish. I buff it with a brush and soft cloth. Looks like new.
The oils in the polish keep the leather moisturized, and supple, as well as protects it from the elements. Leather Dye, and Kiwi Neutral ARE the key to an impeccable 'spit shine' as an old airborne soldier, there is nothing like a pair of spit shined jump boots, in dress greens. I constantly use Kiwi neutral on my seats, set it in the sun, let it heat up, and soak into the leather, then buff off with a long haired camel haired brush...a beautiful sheen on the leather, soft and supple...it really is the key

D.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:03 PM
1984c4z51
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default beyond sticky

the steering wheel in my car was super sticky and what ever is under the leather started breaking down , unfortunatley i dont think it could be saved ..........a nice new one was my only option
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2021, 12:24 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

I'm the Thread Starter, and quick update to say I still endorse my original post as a remedy for a sticky steering wheel, but my steering wheel is 32 years old, (1989 corvette), and over time it developed a tear/hole about the size of a quarter. This happened simply as a result of age, and usage. The link below shows how I repaired that, and I hope this will be of help to others as well. Salute.

DIY Leather Steering Wheel Repair
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...el-repair.html
Old 01-08-2022, 01:39 PM
Lhinely
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
The reason the wheel gets sticky is oil from your hands. Dust settles on the oil, then builds up. Also if you work on it, one might grab the wheel with less than clean hands.. that stuff sticks to the oil lefty behind on your hand. Clean the wheel once in a while and it will prevent this from happening
Not true, I cleaned my regularly & mine is sticky in the middle where my hands don’t go.
The following users liked this post:
C5FORFUN2 (01-15-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky steering wheel problem solved

Quick Reply: Sticky steering wheel problem solved