C4 Engine pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 PM
marknoakes
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Engine pics

Hi,

My 86 C4 convertible has been apart too long, and now I'm having trouble remembering how to get everything together on the power steering pump, AC, and accessories brackets. Yes I have the shop manual, but I'd like some close up engine pics that show which bolts go where on the accessories. Looking around the internet, I didn't see anything that was sufficient. Sorry for the dumb post. Anyone have any or care to take any pics for me? Silly thing is that I've had this car apart several times before over the last 25 years and never had trouble getting it back together before...must be getting old.

I usually am pretty careful about labeling and bagging everything and taking pictures, but the last time it came apart the idea was that it was just for a weekend...and things got worse from there...

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by marknoakes; 09-13-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:25 AM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an '85 and I doubt the accessory mountings are up to NCRS standards, but they're all attached and functioning.

Kind of hard to get pics of the front of the motor, but here's a couple to get you started.
Might work better if you tell me what you want to start with and I can tell what bolts or brackets I see/feel where.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:53 PM
marknoakes
Cruising

Thanks for going to the trouble for me. It looks like your 85 engine is about identical to my 86. The particular info...and I'm not sure how to get it...is how the power steering bracket and AC brackets attach to the front of the block. I think I used too many of the stub/bolt on the water pump though I thought I was following the shop manual. Not sure you can, but if there's any way you can get in to the actual bracket/block interface, that's what I need to see. Otherwise I may just get some extra bolts and make it work...and then sort it out later. I did this twice before in the distant past without the shop manual. Maybe I need to punt the manual and just do what works!

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by marknoakes
Thanks for going to the trouble for me. It looks like your 85 engine is about identical to my 86. The particular info...and I'm not sure how to get it...is how the power steering bracket and AC brackets attach to the front of the block. I think I used too many of the stub/bolt on the water pump though I thought I was following the shop manual. Not sure you can, but if there's any way you can get in to the actual bracket/block interface, that's what I need to see. Otherwise I may just get some extra bolts and make it work...and then sort it out later. I did this twice before in the distant past without the shop manual. Maybe I need to punt the manual and just do what works!

Thanks,

Mark
(i don't have any in-progress photos, so I'll give this a descriptive shot.)

on the AC bracket, there are six fasteners. two (3/8-16) nuts attach the bracket to the water pump studs on the RH side of the pump. there is a funny looking flange bolt at the 6 o'clock position. this bolt has a flat cut into the flange, and a torx recess in the head. not sure of the size, but i'm guessing it's a 3/8-16 bolt, and attaches via, the front of the bracket, into the block. there are 2 other bolts that come in from the rear, they are M10-1.5 bolts - one is 110mm long, and mounts to the far RH side of the AC bracket. this bolt also holds, under the head, a small support bracket . the other end of the bracket mounts to a stud-bolt on the exhaust manifold, and is secured with a 3/8-16 nut. the other bolt is 105mm long, comes in from the rear (you may have to remove the valve cover to install that bolt). those 3 (long) bolts secure the compressor to the AC bracket.

on the power steering bracket, there are 3 fasteners that secure the bracket to the block. one of those fasteners is a stud and does double duty holding the smog pump bracket. that fastener is at the upper inboard side of the bracket. at the 6 o'clock position is a 3/8-16 x 1.375 bolt that secures to the block. at the far, upper, LH side of the bracket is M8-1.25x20mm bolt that comes in from the rear side of the bracket and secures the pump, and three (3) M8-1.25x20 bolts secure the pump from the front.

hope this helps...

Old 09-18-2017, 06:57 AM
marknoakes
Cruising

Thank you; I'll give it a try this weekend.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Engine pics

Quick Reply: C4 Engine pics