C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Muffler Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Muffler Eliminator

Corvette Central has a "special" on what they call "Muffle Eliminator". Basically they provide you with 2 exhaust tail pipes that include the LT1 tips welded on that takes the place of the factory mufflers.

For those of you who have done this, does it result in a "better" and "louder" sound that is desirable? I'm looking for more of a growel that can be heard from the interior, especially when "getting on it" but not so loud while cruising that it's distracting.

Is there any one in the Raleigh, NC area who has done this so that I could actually hear what it sounds like?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

I have them on my 92. They are loud. You will definitely hear them. That said, they are very loud, and will drone on the highway. but that isn't really a concern for me, so I don't worry about it much. If you're concerned with that sort of thing, they might not be for you. I can't remember how it sounded stock anymore, but I think it sounds good, and it is again, quite loud. I'd eventually like to do an x or h pipe to even out the exhaust pulses a bit, the factory system sounds a little lopsided to me with the deletes, but it does give it a bit of old school charm.

I'm out in Hickory if you're ever out this way and want to hear them. I would say the videos of them on YouTube are pretty accurate though.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:33 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Fauee, thanks for the offer to listen in person. I'll be heading through Hickory next Monday on my way to Nashville. Can you PM me so we can make specific arrangements?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I like mine.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Any muffler shop can easily remove the factory mufflers and replace them with straight pipe and the tips that are already on the car. And for a lot less $$$ than ordering from one of the catalogs.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Any muffler shop can easily remove the factory mufflers and replace them with straight pipe and the tips that are already on the car. And for a lot less $$$ than ordering from one of the catalogs.
Yes. Agree. If I go that route, that's what I would do.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the downside of running straight pipes? Other that the increased noise...
Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Get the "Allens" brand chambered muffler deletes. Similar in price. They can be found on Ebay. The pipes have chambered sections pressed into them making a better sound. I have them on my 85 and they sound great! I also have an "X Pipe" installed. The "X Pipe" evens out the exhaust and makes all the difference in the world. They sound more like the chambered side pipe exhausts used in the 1960"s Vettes. Loud, but not obnoxious. Very nice rumble. My 85 is a manual transmission and I think that these deletes sound better on manual transmissions going through the gears.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 09-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 85 I had a local muffler shop cut off muffler and put on pipes, ordered some tips from summit. it is loud taking off put I hardly notice it while cruising.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 AM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My car had this mod done when I got it. I didn't even notice it until I was at the vette shop garage where some members were doing the delete on their cars. So I checked mine. The sound is louder than stock but not nearly as loud as you would expect. Like I said, I didn't notice it at first. The resonator does not cause it to drone on the highway on mine as some have said on other threads. So bottom line is it adds some character to the idle and low cruise sound (pops a little). However, it does not make it unpleasant in the cockpit.

WEK.
The following users liked this post:
SteveBlakeman (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 AM
Mikes93c4
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Get the "Allens" brand chambered muffler deletes. Similar in price. They can be found on Ebay. The pipes have chambered sections pressed into them making a better sound. I have them on my 85 and they sound great! I also have an "X Pipe" installed. The "X Pipe" evens out the exhaust and makes all the difference in the world. They sound more like the chambered side pipe exhausts used in the 1960"s Vettes. Loud, but not obnoxious. Very nice rumble. My 85 is a manual transmission and I think this these deletes sound better on manual transmission going through the gears.
I have the allens on my 93 and love them. I don't have the x-pipe so you do get a bit of an uneven sound, but it's not bad. They give the car more of a throaty sound at idle, and liven up quite a bit when you step on the gas. I do get a lot more rumble and popping when decelarating but I like it. Better sound then some of the full exhaust systems for a quarter of the price.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I had muffler eliminators on my '94 6M.

When I first bought the car I thought these were horribly loud. As I owned the car and drove more, I got used to it and found you could control it somewhat. If you give it throttle it is loud. If you drive moderately it is much less.

Mine was a 6 speed, so if yours is an automatic, the highway rpm and load may sound different. On the highway I could hear it, but it did not bother me. My C5 with Borla S type classic mufflers drones much more than these.

Normal driving and working through the gears it sounds like a muscle car.

Full throttle is loud.

Idle has the best sound of any exhaust system that I have heard. It is a deep low tone rumble.

So when I got the car, I thought it was horrible, but after 45k miles I put on the car I loved it. Once I sold the car I missed it a lot.

Good idea to hear one in person. To me the sound I get from video clips doesn't really sound right for what I had.

Good luck.

Last edited by QCVette; 09-19-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
SteveBlakeman (09-19-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:25 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I love my car with no mufflers
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I bought the eliminators, and a walker cross-over pipe 10 years ago for my '85 from Corvette Central.
Not a whole lot louder than the aftermarket mufflers that were on it.
The cross-over pipe helps eliminates the drone. I can still carry on a conversation without yelling at cruising speed.

Used some hi-temp header paint on them. Paint is holding up well 10 years later.

But it is a weekend spring/summer/fall driver only.

From August this year,

Last edited by mikeb; 09-20-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Default Allens Brand chambered muffler deletes

Get the "Allens" brand chambered muffler deletes. Similar in price. They can be found on Ebay. The pipes have chambered sections pressed into them making a better sound. I have them on my 85 and they sound great! I also have an "X Pipe" installed. The "X Pipe" evens out the exhaust and makes all the difference in the world. They sound more like the chambered side pipe exhausts used in the 1960"s Vettes. Loud, but not obnoxious. Very nice rumble. My 85 is a manual transmission and I think that these deletes sound better on manual transmissions going through the gears.
I recently had a chance to listen to and even ride in a C4 with "standard" muffler deletes, and while I liked the sound, this method would be a bit too loud for me. I'm glad I was able to actually listen to them in person. Do you have any ideas of how I could hear the Allens Chambered deletes so I can actually know what they sound like. I'd hate to purchase them only to find they too don't have the sound I'm looking for.
Thanks
Old 10-15-2017, 01:47 AM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveBlakeman
Corvette Central has a "special" on what they call "Muffle Eliminator". Basically they provide you with 2 exhaust tail pipes that include the LT1 tips welded on that takes the place of the factory mufflers.

For those of you who have done this, does it result in a "better" and "louder" sound that is desirable? I'm looking for more of a growel that can be heard from the interior, especially when "getting on it" but not so loud while cruising that it's distracting.

Is there any one in the Raleigh, NC area who has done this so that I could actually hear what it sounds like?

Thanks
I have the Corvette Central eliminators and I love them. However, at low rpm they do have a drone but compared to the hideously expensive Borla, Corsa, BB, etc systems it sounds and looks great. Tremendous improvement from stock as the stock GM setup is quiet. Wish I was closer, I am in Columbia SC, but if you are ever close by hit me up.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:10 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveBlakeman
I recently had a chance to listen to and even ride in a C4 with "standard" muffler deletes, and while I liked the sound, this method would be a bit too loud for me. I'm glad I was able to actually listen to them in person. Do you have any ideas of how I could hear the Allens Chambered deletes so I can actually know what they sound like. I'd hate to purchase them only to find they too don't have the sound I'm looking for.
Thanks
They remind me of the sound from the old school sidepipes in mid 1960's Corvettes. Nice rumble at idle and tuned throaty sound on acceleration. The key to having the better sound from eliminators is to have a "X" pipe installed. It evens everything out. Everyone who hears mine says they love the sound. Me too!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:36 PM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kens94
I have the Corvette Central eliminators and I love them. However, at low rpm they do have a drone but compared to the hideously expensive Borla, Corsa, BB, etc systems it sounds and looks great. Tremendous improvement from stock as the stock GM setup is quiet. Wish I was closer, I am in Columbia SC, but if you are ever close by hit me up.
Thanks ken. If I get down your way I'll let you know.

Steve
Old 10-15-2017, 09:48 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

X2 on the Allens chambered eliminators. I have a pair on my '84 and they sound good and look great. My cat is gutted and my system is otherwise stock. I'm toying with the idea of a resonator or small muffler in place of the cat to smooth it out just a bit, but I'm going from good to great in doing so.

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler Eliminator

Quick Reply: Muffler Eliminator