rat123
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

I use dryer sheets in my car and boat. Never had mice problems
Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 AM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found my first sign of mice on the vette a couple weeks ago. At some point one made a nest inside the frame rail at the access hole for one of the rear control arms. I haven't found any other damage I can confirm, although the previous owner's "repairs" tend to look a lot like mouse damage at first glance
When we first moved in, my wife made me kill every snake I found. Next thing you knew mice were eating everyrhing. So I slipped a couple of boys some money to relocate some snakes to my yard. 2 years later mouse problem is greatly reduced and snake population is continuing to expand.
We don't have any pets, so I scatter tomcat blocks liberally throughout the garage and put bait stations near any holes I find outside.
Once it snows, I start looking for tracks and tunnels where I'll put more bait (mine are pretty stupid and don't seem to find the bait unless they run into it.)
Think I'm going to add dryer sheets and/or peppermint around the garage door this year.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Let a few snakes loose in the garage
Old 09-20-2017, 07:58 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cooldaddyo
Think I'm going to add dryer sheets and/or peppermint around the garage door this year.
Last time I tried dryer sheets they actually chewed them up for nesting material! I actually haven't tried Fresh Cab, but have heard it tends to work...this year might got Fresh Cab and Snap Traps, they are relentlessness where I live!

Last edited by bac22; 09-20-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Last winter I had one make a nest on my cabin air filter. The smell is still in the HVAC system to some extent. I found where they were getting in and blocked it. I was getting several a day for a few weeks in spring and glue traps. Now none for several months. I never had mice in my garage for years. The sealant at the bottom of the side trim on the garage doors went bad. I dug it out and replaced it and that fixed the access. I I've in a very rural area. I will never kill them all. Best way is sealing up any access. Also I had chased off feral cats in the past. I have a fenced property and no dogs so they like my yard. There are 2 here now and I am not bothering them. Not seeing as many mice outside. Less mole damage too. If they want to eat they need to catch rodents.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

We have a TON of mice where I live -- hate the little buggers!

Every fall when I store the cars I bombard the interior and under the hood with drier sheets and bars of Irish Spring soap. Knock on wood I've never had a problem, but I keep a close eye on the cars and garage during the winter.

But after seeing this video the mice are looking better

Facebook Post

Last edited by 85 Stalker; 09-20-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by car addict
I must admit I have never tried dryer sheets. No experience. Spring traps, baited with peanut butter, work well. But you must keep up with them - remove dead mice, bait and set trap, all the time. If you don't, they are worthless.

i always use dryer sheets, every year about this time
i pull out the old and put in the new. I have never had mouse damage so either the sheets work or there are no mice in my garage.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:14 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

Here is what the little bastard did to my mower. It's an old Briggs opposed twin. Looks like I'll have to remove the flywheel cover as well. I scattered a bag of moth ***** in the shed. The smell is pretty overwhelming. I may keep the mower in the garage for the remainder of the mowing season as I've never had a problem in there.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
i always use dryer sheets, every year about this time
i pull out the old and put in the new. I have never had mouse damage so either the sheets work or there are no mice in my garage.
For those who have success with dryer sheets, any particular kind? Dumb question I know, but maybe thats whats different regarding whther or not it works. You can buy a lot of Bounce sheets for what it will cost to repair wiring or a mower.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mic575
For those who have success with dryer sheets, any particular kind? Dumb question I know, but maybe thats whats different regarding whther or not it works. You can buy a lot of Bounce sheets for what it will cost to repair wiring or a mower.
From what others have told me to use only Bounce. I tried others but the fragrance dissipates a lot faster than Bounce. I get a box of 240 Bounce sheets at Menard's for about $8. After I put a lot of sheets out I put the remaining in the box in a plastic zip lock bag. 240 will last for a couple of years or more.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Funny story when I was selling Rose. Pulled her outta storage to attend a show. Opened the hood and she was an attention getter. So this guy wants more info and we started talking. Then he points out a nest right under the plenum. Yep a friggin mouse nest on top of the engine. No damage other than the nest its self. I made sure some mothball sacks were placed on top of the engine next time she was stored...
Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JETS C3-C4
From what others have told me to use only Bounce. I tried others but the fragrance dissipates a lot faster than Bounce. I get a box of 240 Bounce sheets at Menard's for about $8. After I put a lot of sheets out I put the remaining in the box in a plastic zip lock bag. 240 will last for a couple of years or more.
Not sure I still buy the dryer sheet method, but if it works what is even scarier is that these things drive mice away, yet we using them on our clothes
Old 09-24-2017, 10:33 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Funny story when I was selling Rose. Pulled her outta storage to attend a show. Opened the hood and she was an attention getter. So this guy wants more info and we started talking. Then he points out a nest right under the plenum. Yep a friggin mouse nest on top of the engine. No damage other than the nest its self. I made sure some mothball sacks were placed on top of the engine next time she was stored...
Sorry about laughing - but that is kind of friggin' funny

AT LEAST IT WAS NOT ME, THAT WOULD NOT BE FUNNY!!!!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:31 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

^^ I know! Right?! ^^

My mouth dropping open musta been hillarious....
Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by JETS C3-C4
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

No one should under estimate the amount of damage mice can do. I had a friend whose Porsche Boxster was totaled by mice who ate through her wiring harnesses. So much damage, there was nothing insurance could do but total it.
My experience has been positive with spring traps and poison. Prefer the traps over poison. I tried the sticky/glue traps. All we captured was a bunch of mouse hair. After that we nicknamed it "Kojak Mouse". I never tried any of the other methods so can't comment.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Her65
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Snap trap are best if you want to know where they die to keep the smell under control. If you use bait make sure you don't use a first genteration bait due to secondary poisoning which could result in poisoning your dog or cat if they would eat the dead rodent. There are repeater type live traps called "Ketch-All" and "Tin Cats"that live catch multiple mice much like the bucket with water and the spinner. Go to DoMyOwnpestcontrol.com to see what professional pest management companies use. They have the yellow trigger snap traps as mentioned above but I like the "Mini T-Rex Mouse Trap". Easy to use and they have a small circular reservoir where you can put Provoke Mouse Attractant much easier than peanut butter. If your garage door does not seal well try "Detour for Rodents and Insects" or "RodentStop" if you need to permanently seal cracks etc. I have used them all. You just need to stay vigilant as mice can access your garage via a quarter of an inch hole, crack etc. Eliminating entry points with use of steel or copper wool/mesh is a good place to start followed by the RodentStop etc. and yes, place traps along a wall as mice tend to follow along walls as stated above. Good luck, can't say one way or the other about dryer sheets but mice will take advantage of anything they can use for nesting material. Nasty things! Also, stop any bird feeding or such that will bring them close to the house/garage. Barn/stables are difficult to control when feeding livestock, you will almost always have to use poisons or multi traps. I'm going to try the bucket spinner for the barn.

Get notified of new replies

To Mouse Prevention - Myth vs Fact

Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 PM
daveyboy
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ymmv, but here is my story with mothballs.

Had an old Mopar for a 440 swap, and had heard mothballs would keep rodents away.

So I put them everywhere in the car for winter.

Once spring came, I popped the hood and found a HUGE nest.

The critter had stacked piles of dog droppings around all of the mothballs!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:23 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

We had a box of soda crackers stored next to the dryer sheets in the pantry. Brother-in-law came over, made himself a big bowl of Mrs. 2LZ homemade chili. He went to the pantry, got the soda crackers and crumbled a big handful into the chili. Started chewing on his first bite and he went running to the back door, spit it all out and dang near puked.
I'm not sure about mice but dryer sheets definitely repel brother-in-laws. Those soda crackers really sucked up the fragrance.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts
Default mouse damage

Friend of my wife bought new car within past year. She lives in the woods of southeast Missouri Ozarks, as do I. Her car had to be towed to dealer for no start condition. Diagnosis: mouse eaten wiring harnesses. Repair estimate $4000. Fortunately for her, her insurance is paying the bill. This is a car that is used regularly for an apporox. 80 miles round trip commute - not a car in storage.

Quick Reply: Mouse Prevention - Myth vs Fact