Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dorman Replacement Hardware for Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:54 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Dorman Replacement Hardware for Doors?

The plastic inserts for the door pull.. Is there a dorman part for these I could source locally?

Anyone know?

Maybe part of their "Help!" line?
Attached Images  

Last edited by confab; 09-26-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
The plastic inserts for the door pull.. Is there a dorman part for these I could source locally?

Anyone know?

Maybe part of their "Help!" line?
I don't think you have OEM stuff in your door pulls. how many of these do you need? besides the door pulls, they are also used to fasten the door panels and rocker panels. I keep a good supply in my shop, and usually replace them when anytime I have things apart. they tend to get brittle with age. besides, I love new hardware - . here's a good source for bulk supply -

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Sea...=11&Search.y=9

a 100 of these things will last you several lifetimes, so if you only need a handful, PM me...

while you're at it, I recommend installing a pair of these from corvette central -

Last edited by Joe C; 09-26-2017 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
confab (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Cool.. Thanks Joe!

I used their numbers and found them at Oreilly. Oreilly Auto has them as # 637PK.

A bag of 100 for $7.50.

(Why the heck would I need 100 of them?)

And yeah, I have some of the door pull things from Wilcox I never installed.

Last edited by confab; 09-26-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
(Why the heck would I need 100 of them?)
Because they're made in china and most of them won't fit right.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dt86
what's not made in china anymore? FWIW, I've never had a fitment problem.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:40 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dt86
They have to fit better than what I have now.

What the hell are those things and where did they get them? lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Davies Corvette parts has them for 1.95 a pair but you will pay $7 shipping. I just had to order another set of the plastic clips that attaches the door latch rods to the handle.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
what's not made in china anymore? FWIW, I've never had a fitment problem.
I had a few that weren't formed quite right and wouldn't stay snug in the arm rest bracket. Maybe mine were from china and yours were made in Taiwan? Taiwan parts seem to be a grade better.

Last edited by Dt86; 09-26-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Lower rocker panel. Those plastic inserts go everywhere on the C4, as Joe has told me before. You may need 100 of them.
The following users liked this post:
confab (09-26-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:10 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Silver85
Davies Corvette parts has them for 1.95 a pair but you will pay $7 shipping. I just had to order another set of the plastic clips that attaches the door latch rods to the handle.
no flames, personal or otherwise - just a general statement. here's my point -- $9 for two, shipped. if you would happen to have to buy another set for whatever reason, now you're in at $18. box of 100, $13.21 shipped to florida. even buying locally in small quantities, you pay a premium, sometimes because of packaging. besides, where I live, I don't have a parts supplier on every street corner. 45 minute drive to the nearest, and then there's no guarantee they have what i'm looking for. go to your local chevy dealer, and buy a few - open wallet, and bend over! now, i'm guessing there's around 25-30 used on my 85 corvette (mostly the doors and rocker panels - hell, there's 18 required just to secure both rocker panels). since I have or had multiple C4's, double that - i still have a box of spares to offer friends needing a few (good gesture - ??? -- sometimes I have my doubts). as far as fit, some fit tighter than others, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the insert at fault, or that they're made in china. hell, probably the same parts used on the current C7. fitment, the slot cut into the inner door SMP panel, or the rocker panel attachment panel, or wherever could be worn a bit, causing a loose fit, or just a manufacturing tolerance issue. simple fix - a layer of masking tape snugs the insert for a more secure fit. besides, the design of the insert is such that it somewhat floats in the slot for any adjustment due to any kind of tolerance stack-up for mating parts. besides, once the screw is inserted, the assembly is held secure. I have some that are snug, some that are loose, but I haven't had any fall out.

why do you need a 100? you probably don't, but in most cases, it makes more sense than buying one or two. I buy a lot of C4 hardware, common or otherwise, in bulk. to be honest, I've got this crap coming out my ears - . I sure hate to be in the middle of something and be held up because i'm missing 10-cent piece of hardware. on the down side, my hotrod building buddy is always hanging around routing through my schitt. I don't mind the hardware so much, but he's also drinking my friggin beer -

my rant for the day is done. peace.

Last edited by Joe C; 09-27-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
no flames, personal or otherwise - just a general statement. here's my point -- $9 for two, shipped. if you would happen to have to buy another set for whatever reason, now you're in at $18. box of 100, $13.21 shipped to florida. even buying locally in small quantities, you pay a premium, sometimes because of packaging. besides, where I live, I don't have a parts supplier on every street corner. 45 minute drive to the nearest, and then there's no guarantee they have what i'm looking for. go to your local chevy dealer, and buy a few - open wallet, and bend over! now, i'm guessing there's around 25-30 used on my 85 corvette (mostly the doors and rocker panels - hell, there's 18 required just to secure both rocker panels). since I have or had multiple C4's, double that - i still have a box of spares to offer friends needing a few (good gesture - ??? -- sometimes I have my doubts). as far as fit, some fit tighter than others, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the insert at fault, or that they're made in china. hell, probably the same parts used on the current C7. fitment, the slot cut into the inner door SMP panel, or the rocker panel attachment panel, or wherever could be worn a bit, causing a loose fit, or just a manufacturing tolerance issue. simple fix - a layer of masking tape snugs the insert for a more secure fit. besides, the design of the insert is such that it somewhat floats in the slot for any adjustment due to any kind of tolerance stack-up for mating parts. besides, once the screw is inserted, the assembly is held secure. I have some that are snug, some that are loose, but I haven't had any fall out.

why do you need a 100? you probably don't, but in most cases, it makes more sense than buying one or two. I buy a lot of C4 hardware, common or otherwise, in bulk. to be honest, I've got this crap coming out my ears - . I sure hate to be in the middle of something and be held up because i'm missing 10-cent piece of hardware. on the down side, my hotrod building buddy is always hanging around routing through my schitt. I don't mind the hardware so much, but he's also drinking my friggin beer -

my rant for the day is done. peace.

I'm with you on this. Makes sense. Just pointing out another option. Sadly the pieces I needed weren't available in bulk or local. Luckily I had some other items i ordered that offset the cost and I really need them by this weekend.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Silver85
I'm with you on this. Makes sense. Just pointing out another option. Sadly the pieces I needed weren't available in bulk or local. Luckily I had some other items i ordered that offset the cost and I really need them by this weekend.
are these the clips you needed?

Get notified of new replies

To Dorman Replacement Hardware for Doors?

Quick Reply: Dorman Replacement Hardware for Doors?