C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

winter storage with half tank year old gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Default winter storage with half tank year old gas

Here I go again. I'm getting ready to store my '90 for 6 months with half a tank of year old 93 octane ethanol gas that had Stabil added last fall.

Should I siphon it out and leave it empty; top it up with 93 octane and add more Stabil; put it away as is or...??

Is it a closed system with the cap on so if I empty it moisture won't be a problem?

Your thoughts/experience appreciated as always.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:58 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey5
Here I go again. I'm getting ready to store my '90 for 6 months with half a tank of year old 93 octane ethanol gas that had Stabil added last fall.

Should I siphon it out and leave it empty; top it up with 93 octane and add more Stabil; put it away as is or...??

Is it a closed system with the cap on so if I empty it moisture won't be a problem?

Top it off. You will be good.

So, if I read right, you only used 1/2 a tank in a year? You need to drive more!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Top it off. You will be good.

So, if I read right, you only used 1/2 a tank in a year? You need to drive more!

Top it off, empty space in the tank leaves room for condensation, which leads to rust. If I knew you were only going to drive <200 miles this year I would have found your R12 myself.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:31 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
: If I knew you were only going to drive <200 miles this year I would have found your R12 myself.
Thanks Pat. Maybe next spring I'll get around to finding that cylinder. Besides, who needs A/C in the winter.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:55 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I you can get non-oxygenated (no alcohol) I'd use that in getting ready to store a vehicle as long as it's got the right octane rating, regardless of price. Alcohol screws too many things up over time IMO.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:14 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would think its time to remove it and use it in something else, and refill with fresh
Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I would think you're causing more harm then good by keep gas that old in a car for another 6 months. I think it'd be better to drain it and use it for your lawn mower then to keep it in the car for another 6 months, get fresh stuff in there.

Last edited by bac22; 09-27-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:32 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Why not just take it for a ride to burn off most of that half-tank of old fuel? Then fill up with fresh fuel for the winter storage.

Live well,

SJW
Old 09-27-2017, 08:51 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

/\ agree

My gas sat 9 years+ and was fine when restarting.

If you do research on the net you'll see real mechanics working on items and part of the issues they encounter is what the "stabilizers" cause.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Fill it to the rim with Brim. Seriously, fill it up and be done with it. Filling it cuts down on condensation.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Thanks Pat. Maybe next spring I'll get around to finding that cylinder. Besides, who needs A/C in the winter.
If you are driving it in the winter, doesn't the defroster use the AC?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:28 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If it were me I'd siphon that old fuel and load a fresh full tank with Stabil.
A full tank reduces the air space which reduces condensation and moisture.

Why 93 Octane? You running a modified high compression motor?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 PM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
/\ agree

My gas sat 9 years+ and was fine when restarting.

If you do research on the net you'll see real mechanics working on items and part of the issues they encounter is what the "stabilizers" cause.
Good to know, mine is approaching 9 years and was thinking what to do with it when I eventually get it on the road again.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
Why not just take it for a ride to burn off most of that half-tank of old fuel? Then fill up with fresh fuel for the winter storage.

Live well,

SJW

You only have half a tank, so that is only a couple hundred miles (maybe less in town or playing some).

You could easily do that in an afternoon and have an nice drive. Maybe plan a drive to go look at the fall colors, or a nice winding road, etc.

Driving it for 2 or 3 hours is sure a lot better than worrying about it, siphoning it off, or buying additives.

Then fill it up and you are done.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette

You only have half a tank, so that is only a couple hundred miles (maybe less in town or playing some).

You could easily do that in an afternoon and have an nice drive. Maybe plan a drive to go look at the fall colors, or a nice winding road, etc.

Driving it for 2 or 3 hours is sure a lot better than worrying about it, siphoning it off, or buying additives.

Then fill it up and you are done.

I'd rather not use additives - preferring to keep the tank filled to prevent condensation.

My small engine mechanic says people have to wait in line come spring to get their carburetor (jets) cleaned, after gas with Stabil added has evaporated in them over the winter. He too recommends keeping the tank full and if I put an additive in it, use SEA FOAM instead.

I'm NOT a chemist. And, I couldn't say the crud I got out of the jets of some of my carbs was due to any particular fuel preservative (I've used Stabil too at times), but can definitely keep the tank full to prevent condensation. Water for sure will be an issue. I prefer SEA FOAM in my small engine tanks over winter, along with a full tank of fuel. The Vettes...too. I've never had any issues (yet) with SEA FOAM, but then I do start my motors up a few times during the winter.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:19 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Use PRI-G, works better than sta-bil.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:24 PM
BBNJKen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan to drive the car next spring, fill it up and use a fuel stabilizer, I always use Stabil 360 Marine ( Greenish Blue) in my 96 (3 winters) and 72 ( 31 winters), haven't had any fuel system issues.

Get notified of new replies

To winter storage with half tank year old gas

Old 09-29-2017, 12:30 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I use Stabil in my 93 and full tank here in Michigan in unheated garage. Try to let it run about 20 minutes several times in the winter. I need to try the Amsoil stabilizer. Not sure how much of a difference between the two.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:34 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
My small engine mechanic says people have to wait in line come spring to get their carburetor (jets) cleaned, after gas with Stabil added has evaporated in them over the winter. He too recommends keeping the tank full and if I put an additive in it, use SEA FOAM instead.
That's interesting as I've bought, rebuilt and sold a few dozen over the years, preferring to buy non-running units. Almost without fail, the carbs are gummed up with a crystalized material from evaporated fuel, requiring extensive disassembly and cleaning of the carbs. I previously used Stabil in my blower and mower fuel and it didn't always work. I'd read about the properties and effects of Seafoam and tried it in my small engine gas with good success.
I had very good luck and started using it in my T-Bird during winter storage and later on when I got my Vette. I've been using non-alcohol fuel treated with Seafoam when I put them into storage, particularly because there's no alcohol in that fuel. I do run the vehicles every month about 15-20 minutes even if they aren't moved. I have not had any issues since changing to this process with the fuel system getting gummed up.
These are the first two fuel injection vehicles I've stored, previously it was carbureted vehicles with Stabil, and a number of times I had to go through the carbs due to being gummed up bad when they came out of winter storage though in those days I didn't always run them every month. Since using Seafoam and regularly starting them I have not had those old issues reoccur.

That's my experience, it works for me. If you want to use a stabilizer or not is your decision. It's like battery tenders, some like them and some don't.

Last edited by hcbph; 09-29-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
That's interesting as I've bought, rebuilt and sold a few dozen over the years, preferring to buy non-running units. Almost without fail, the carbs are gummed up with a crystalized material from evaporated fuel, requiring extensive disassembly and cleaning of the carbs. I previously used Stabil in my blower and mower fuel and it didn't always work. I'd read about the properties and effects of Seafoam and tried it in my small engine gas with good success.
I had very good luck and started using it in my T-Bird during winter storage and later on when I got my Vette. I've been using non-alcohol fuel treated with Seafoam when I put them into storage, particularly because there's no alcohol in that fuel. I do run the vehicles every month about 15-20 minutes even if they aren't moved. I have not had any issues since changing to this process with the fuel system getting gummed up.
These are the first two fuel injection vehicles I've stored, previously it was carbureted vehicles with Stabil, and a number of times I had to go through the carbs due to being gummed up bad when they came out of winter storage though in those days I didn't always run them every month. Since using Seafoam and regularly starting them I have not had those old issues reoccur.

That's my experience, it works for me. If you want to use a stabilizer or not is your decision. It's like battery tenders, some like them and some don't.
When I bought both of my generators the instructions specifically said to use fuel stabilizer in the fuel. The small generator is 2 cycle. I usually get a little extra in the fuel can.

Quick Reply: winter storage with half tank year old gas