Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

does anyone on Long Island have a late C4 with poly bushing suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:22 PM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default does anyone on Long Island have a late C4 with poly bushing suspension?

I have a 96 coupe, with the base suspension. 70k miles. I'd like to overhaul my suspension soon, and replace the wear/tear items (springs, shocks, bushings, etc.). I'd also like to preserve as much ride quality as possible (our LI roads are riddled with potholes and bumps). My research has led me to believe that no one produces rubber suspension bushings anymore, which means polyurethane is probably the next "softest" option. Before I go down this path, I would like to ride in a fellow CF member's late C4 who has poly bushings, but stock-style Bilstein suspension. Let me know if anyone can help out here, before winter comes...
Old 10-03-2017, 02:52 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Not in Long Island..although FL basically is a New York. I have a 94' Coupe with the FE1 Suspension, 125k miles. I have new Bilsteins, and Polyeurthane bushings throughout (except batwing). Rides great, I honestly cannot tell a difference in the "pliability" or compliance between the stock rubber or poly. However, you do notice the more positive feel. Not much help since you can't ride in it, but thought you may appreciate the feedback since it sounds like our C4's will be similar once you do the changes.

You really don't have much of a choice if the stock rubber is deteriorated. Banksi and Del-Alum is the way to go, but nothing wrong with Poly at all. When I was changing out all the bushings the only ones that REALLY needed it were the sway bar bushings and the rear trailing arm (dog bone) bushings. The rest were actually in very good shape.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 10-03-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:22 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by dayle97se
I have a 96 coupe, with the base suspension. 70k miles. I'd like to overhaul my suspension soon, and replace the wear/tear items (springs, shocks, bushings, etc.). I'd also like to preserve as much ride quality as possible (our LI roads are riddled with potholes and bumps). My research has led me to believe that no one produces rubber suspension bushings anymore, which means polyurethane is probably the next "softest" option. Before I go down this path, I would like to ride in a fellow CF member's late C4 who has poly bushings, but stock-style Bilstein suspension. Let me know if anyone can help out here, before winter comes...
Hi
I had replaced the bushes with prothane ones, I was quite disappointed with the ride afterwards. The suspension feels 30% stiffer, even though I used plenty of the special lube the ride is harsher and feels bouncy.
The trailing arm bushes secured with 8 bolts really don't want to flex like the old rubber bushes, you cannot get rubber bushes anymore.
So am looking to go to Banski trailing arms with spherical ends,
that wont restrict suspension movement and restore the ride.

That is my experience.....
The following users liked this post:
Randy M (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
So am looking to go to Banski trailing arms with spherical ends, that wont restrict suspension movement and restore the ride
I have the Banski setup, it is sweet.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The reality is GM never offered the bushings as a service part. You had to buy the arm. With the soft suspension you have, maybe some noise. If it's a major worry move newer or older. It's unlikely the c4 will get rubber replacement bushings.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I live in the lower hudson valley, and did a full suspension refresh on my 95 coupe last winter. New Bilstein shocks, new poly bushings all around, u-joints and bearings. In my opinion the ride is great... I like the way the car hugs the road now. Very positive traction around all curves. My 95 vert is all factory with the original rubber bushings. I like the ride in both but prefer the coupe now for those long, winding roads.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:47 PM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jpipx
I live in the lower hudson valley, and did a full suspension refresh on my 95 coupe last winter. New Bilstein shocks, new poly bushings all around, u-joints and bearings. In my opinion the ride is great... I like the way the car hugs the road now. Very positive traction around all curves. My 95 vert is all factory with the original rubber bushings. I like the ride in both but prefer the coupe now for those long, winding roads.
Great info. On your coupe:

-Does it have the base suspension?
-Did you notice that the ride quality is any stiffer or softer now with the new poly bushings, Bilsteins, etc... ? I would suspect stiffer, now that you converted to poly bushings....but I would also think softer, after getting rid of 20+ year old/hard rubber bushings. Not sure which overcomes the other
Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Anything is better than worn out rubber, these rode like buckboards when new anwyay
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dayle97se
Great info. On your coupe:

-Does it have the base suspension?
-Did you notice that the ride quality is any stiffer or softer now with the new poly bushings, Bilsteins, etc... ? I would suspect stiffer, now that you converted to poly bushings....but I would also think softer, after getting rid of 20+ year old/hard rubber bushings. Not sure which overcomes the other
Yes, the coupe is just the base suspension. The ride is stiffer, no rolling either since the sway bar bushings were changed as well. I have nothing bad to say about the conversion to poly.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:55 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

I have 94, base suspension, poly all the way around with AC Delco shocks. I don't feel the ride is any more harsh than the old rubber bushings - but the C4 isn't a "smooth" ride to begin with. I don't regret the poly one bit, car is all around more planted. Haven't heard any squeaks from the poly yet.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:37 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

The problem in general with poly bushings is that they are not compliant in torsion. for many locations (e.g. camber rods or A-arms), this is no problem since they only rotate around the bushing's intended axis (the bolt). But for the dog bones (trailing arms), it is a problem since they must not only rotate around their bolt axes but must also twist when the car rolls. This tends to add a rising rate to the wheel rate in roll, which makes for non-linear handling - not good.

Back in the day, people used to go with poly in both ends of all four trailing arms in Fox and SN95 Mustangs. That was a worst-case scenario, and made for lots of scary handling cars! I don't know how much it would add to a C4 - I'm sure it's less because at least the trailing arms are parallel to each other in plan form. But I still would recommend against poly in the dog bones. It would be worth just buying complete dog bones instead. The Banski trailing arms are a great option, too.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:20 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

my 96 coupe had the base suspension AND a delaminating rear spring

replaced the rear spring with a 480 inch pound spring from VB&P...which is the rough equivalent of the heaviest Z51 spring offered...replaced all the rear suspension bushings with polyurethane, including the bat wing to frame bushings. I'm very happy with the ride and handling and that's over some pretty rough local roads...my only suggestion is use way more lube than the kits supply and lube EVERYTHING generously.

and yes, in the next evolution, heim joints, but for bang for the buck, poly's a huge improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To does anyone on Long Island have a late C4 with poly bushing suspension?

Quick Reply: does anyone on Long Island have a late C4 with poly bushing suspension?