C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ABS Sensor data?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:55 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts
Default ABS Sensor data?

Does anyone have a decent rundown of information for ABS sensors on an 89?

Are they hall effect sensors?
Operating Voltage?
Ohm?
How many "teeth" do the wheels have?

Sorry I'm a PITA, but I can't find a single source that has all of this data for this year. I found a site that had some info for the later LT1 equipped C4s but some data was missing and I wasn't sure if it had been changed from 89.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:53 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Anything?

I'm building a system that taps into one front and one rear ABS sensor for traction control. I have a working code, but without specifics it wont be reliable, and adjusting for variables like tire size will be nearly impossible.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Anything?

I'm building a system that taps into one front and one rear ABS sensor for traction control. I have a working code, but without specifics it wont be reliable, and adjusting for variables like tire size will be nearly impossible.
Sorry I don't have the data, but you are building it? Why not add two separate hall effect sensors of your own choosing making a new bracket to mount them near the teeth. Count the teeth
Old 10-13-2017, 10:41 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Traction control system using arduino. It will compare front and rear wheel speeds using the ABS sensors, and the duty cycle on a boost controller to lower boost % by the % that the tires are spinning.

I have a pretty archaic formula made up now that sends 5v to the sensor and measures the return. But instead of the number of teeth, I just let it output a raw number, and then I go for a drive with a GPS speedo (my phone) and divide the raw number down until I get close.

If I had the number of teeth on the wheel, I could make up variables that let me enter tooth count, tire size, etc, and it would work for any wheel/tire combination, ABS reluctor count on other vehicles, etc.

I don't see the point in making up another bracket and mounting separate sensors when everything I need is already there.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:08 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

I'm quite confident that the tooth count on the rears (ALL YEAR C4 is 47 tooth) and '90 or earlier on the front is equal. '91+ fronts being sealed I've no idea what's internal.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Are the early ones are not sealed on the fronts? I can't get to the reluctor on the fronts or I wouldn't be here asking. I can definitely start with 47. I was going to hook up to the ABS and spin the wheel exactly 1 time and count the pulses, but it always ends up +/- 1 tooth when done that way.

I can definitely work with 47. That's a solid start for me.
The only other part of the equation is wiring/voltage. If its 12v, I'll need some additional hardware. If I can send a 5v signal through it and read it, I'm all set.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To ABS Sensor data?

Quick Reply: ABS Sensor data?