C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Muffler removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 04:13 PM
monkeyboylawyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler removal

I keep hearing in the forum about people who have removed the mufflers from their Vette. What exactly is involved in doing this? Is there any noticeable difference in sound and performance? Finally, is it tough to do?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2002, 04:43 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Muffler removal (monkeyboylawyer)

Got a Sawzall ??? It's pretty simple, cut the pipe behind the factory muffler & put whatever you want in it place. Sound ? Mines about 20 times louder. I can set off car alarms when I ride by :cool: (it's fun). Performance? You will lose a little bottom end torque most likely but you should gain it back in the upper RPM's

Neal

[Modified by Arisa, 3:44 PM 10/7/2002]
Old 10-07-2002, 07:54 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had them and the resonance got annoying.. you may like them tho.. costs about $100 to do (I reused my old tips)
Old 10-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Arisa said about low end torque loss with after market mufflers is what is keeping me from changing out my stockers. I wouldn't mind a little more aggressive sound but I love the low end grunt and low end is where I do most of my driving so, I'm reluctant to sacrifice low end torque.

Wish there was an after market muffler or catback that would increase low end torque and give better high end, too... :confused:
Old 10-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Re: Muffler removal (Arisa)

Mine weren't welded on so I took a torch and heated the pipes slid the old mufflers off (not as easy as it sounds) then put the muffler elimanators from MAD on. not to much louder unless your really getting on it. :D
Old 10-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Muffler removal (Lone Ranger)

What Arisa said about low end torque loss with after market mufflers is what is keeping me from changing out my stockers. I wouldn't mind a little more aggressive sound but I love the low end grunt and low end is where I do most of my driving so, I'm reluctant to sacrifice low end torque.

Wish there was an after market muffler or catback that would increase low end torque and give better high end, too... :confused:
You have nothing to worry about. Lowe end wont suffer.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:41 PM
DonRich90
Instructor

My '90 L98 had the mufflers removed by the prior owner. He replaced them with new pipes with the black rectangular tips. Looks neat and the sound is what really sold me on the car. It does have some resonance at certain RPM's but I don't find it annoying (at least not yet). :seeya
Old 10-07-2002, 11:08 PM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I can't agree with not losing low end torque. I just installed (tonight) duals and flowmasters. Immediately noticed a reduction in off the line "grunt." Sounds great though and not a lot of resonance over 115-1800 RPM.
Might be able to use a different chip to regain the OTL punch :cheers: :seeya :flag
Old 10-08-2002, 02:49 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Muffler removal (STREETKNIGHT)

I had my elims done when I had the 383 put in. I LOVE the sound. As far as torque loss, well with the 383 over the 350 that wasn't a problem. If I every put mufflers back on, I'm probably going to be really shocked to see how much torque this thing REALLY puts out!
Old 10-08-2002, 05:18 AM
Joeyvette
Instructor

What are muffler eliminators? and where do you get them? Are you guys running with open pipes? I'm new to the vette scene so I don't know all the tricks. I was going to have a set of 40 series Flowmasters welded in, should I? :confused:
Old 10-08-2002, 07:21 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Muffler removal (Joeyvette)

Muffler Eliminators are just what they sound like, its a straight piece of pipe that you put in place if the mufflers :yesnod: . You have catalitic converters that act like mufflers already so you don't actually have straight exhaust. I've heard that you will get some resonance without the mufflers but some don't mind this with the increase of exhaust sound...Its up to you how you like your exhaust :smash:
Old 10-08-2002, 09:08 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Muffler removal (CowboyNVette)

Muffler Eliminators are just what they sound like, its a straight piece of pipe that you put in place if the mufflers :yesnod: . You have catalitic converters that act like mufflers already so you don't actually have straight exhaust. I've heard that you will get some resonance without the mufflers but some don't mind this with the increase of exhaust sound...Its up to you how you like your exhaust :smash:
I still have the stock resonator which is a straight through design. If anyone asks, that's my muffler! :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler removal

Quick Reply: Muffler removal