Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replace injectors as Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Replace injectors as Maintenance?

94 LT1 ~115k

Would you ever replace your injectors as maintenance on an otherwise fine running motor? My 94 runs just fun, idles smoothly, and the motor doesn't need a thing. But, it's nearly 24 years old and has 115k miles. It sees about 5-6 tanks of fuel over a summer. The injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel pump are all original. I've had the injectors out while doing other work and they did receive new o-rings.

I'm considering replacing all of it for no other reason than they are at/beyond the service life I'd expect and I want to get in front of any issues. I'm just not sold on the whole idea yet because part of my says don't fix what isn't broken.

What do you think?
on the menu:
injectors (professional rebuild or new replacement)
fuel pressure regulator
fuel pump (filter too, but that's been replaced before)
The following users liked this post:
H Watkins (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The stock LT1 injectors are not known for failure like the L98 injectors are. I would leave well enough alone if the car is not showing any issues.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

At a minimum measure the resistance of the injectors. On my 92 with 43 K miles I had 1 injector at 3 ohms, which is very low. I replaced all 8 with rebuilt Bosch III injectors and it was pretty easy.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

I did. With as inexpensive and easy to do as they are, there's no reason not to. I also upgraded from Multecs to Bosch 3s.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,946 Posts

IDK about your area but in my area, the fuel does have build up. I have verified them at a local tech college before and after cleaning. It lasts about 3 to 4 years, before the build up comes back so I send them out and while the intake is off, clean the TB and other misc stuff.

The fuel sitting in the injector could leave deposits or so my theory goes. Regardless, when I send them off, it reads say 250cc and when it comes back, it reads say 300cc so I know that 50cc is the loss.

In your case, it is easy to find stock sized injectors so I'd just buy a set of reman from FIC and get it installed same day. As I understand it, LT1 injectors are easier to do than L98. The reman price is the same as a set of used ones so why even bother to send them there and back? Just buy a set and toss what you have. They are probably the upgraded design.

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/c...3-injector-set
Old 11-06-2017, 01:07 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I did. With as inexpensive and easy to do as they are, there's no reason not to. I also upgraded from Multecs to Bosch 3s.
same here - as a matter of fact, three of four C4's I've owned had injectors replaced as part of routine maintenance. always FIC, and always boschIII's.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I will ohm them - what is good, think I've read 12-14 ohms? The injectors are very easy to remove on an LT1 if it comes to it. How much hp can the stock injectors support? Car has ported heads, bigger valves and RRs, but stock cam which I someday plan to remedy.

I'm actually more concerned about the pump and FPR. Both are fine at the moment but given its age I worry the pump may leave me walking someday. I know a failed regulator can cause fuel to be drawn in the vacuum line.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp

I'm actually more concerned about the pump and FPR. Both are fine at the moment but given its age I worry the pump may leave me walking someday. I know a failed regulator can cause fuel to be drawn in the vacuum line.
I agree about the pump. I wouldn't worry about the injectors until the first one fails, then replace them all.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:57 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
I agree about the pump. I wouldn't worry about the injectors until the first one fails, then replace them all.
Agreed.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Thanks for the replies. I will ohm them - what is good, think I've read 12-14 ohms? The injectors are very easy to remove on an LT1 if it comes to it. How much hp can the stock injectors support? Car has ported heads, bigger valves and RRs, but stock cam which I someday plan to remedy.

To what end? If it is running good, as your limited perception indicates, all the ohm readings tell you is the coils are in spec. You already know that. All it does is give you a false sense of security. Doesn't report the spray pattern and volume of the injectors. I guarantee there is some build up.

Possible but if anything, I'd be more worried about the pulsator than the pump. If you are doing the fuel pressure regulator, might as well do injectors.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
The problem with that is that the first one that fails could immobilize the car. If it shorts out (a common failure mode), it will kill all four injectors on that side and the engine will die. Then you are looking at a tow (or in my case, two tows...).
Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NavAir
The problem with that is that the first one that fails could immobilize the car. If it shorts out (a common failure mode), it will kill all four injectors on that side and the engine will die. Then you are looking at a tow (or in my case, two tows...).
Multecs don't like ethanol and most gas has some
Old 11-06-2017, 09:39 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by NavAir
Lots of failures can result in towing your car. Proactive maintenance is not about what happens if you breakdown, its about what's most likely to breakdown. The fuel pump has a much higher probability of failure than any of the injectors or the regulator of any other part of the fuel system.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
To what end? If it is running good, as your limited perception indicates, all the ohm readings tell you is the coils are in spec. You already know that. All it does is give you a false sense of security. Doesn't report the spray pattern and volume of the injectors. I guarantee there is some build up.

Possible but if anything, I'd be more worried about the pulsator than the pump. If you are doing the fuel pressure regulator, might as well do injectors.
My '92 ran good, but one of the injectors was going out from a resistance stand point. It isn't the only failure mode, but if resistance is low it should lead to expediting their replacement.

Last edited by JimLentz; 11-06-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimLentz
My '92 ran good, but one of the injectors was going out from a resistance stand point. It isn't the only failure mode, but if resistance is low it should lead to expediting their replacement.
I'd replace them with remans every few years just because of the build up that changes the flow rate and spray pattern and it is about as expensive to clean and test as to get ones that already are cleaned and tested. I have tested them and they have been found wanting after a few years. Coils were good it's just that the volume was uneven and all were lower than spec.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz

FWIW, a low resistance injector likely means less fuel to that cylinder. As result, one of my intake valves was burned, presumably due to excessive lean condition in that cylinder.

So, "low resistance" is a sign of deterioration of the internal actuator coil of the injector. Definately want to correct that - and may I suggest replacing them ALL with alcohol immune injectors. Just a thought!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-06-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:41 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Good discussion. The ohm test is just for an idea if the coil is good or not. Frankly, I want to replace most of the fuel system but to spread the cost I'll probably do it in pieces with the most likely candidates for failure first (pump).

I believe there are 2 Walbro pumps for our application. One of which requires heavier gauge wire. Would like a more plug and play option. Which is the lesser walbro that uses stock wiring? Will it support 400-450 flywheel hp? I'm hoping for that someday.

Can someone explain the pulsator? Is it in tank? Part of pump? If so, do aftermarket pumps include it? I've read that it serves little purpose other than to quiet down the pump a bit, is that true?

Get notified of new replies

To Replace injectors as Maintenance?

Old 11-06-2017, 04:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Good discussion. The ohm test is just for an idea if the coil is good or not. Frankly, I want to replace most of the fuel system but to spread the cost I'll probably do it in pieces with the most likely candidates for failure first (pump).

I believe there are 2 Walbro pumps for our application. One of which requires heavier gauge wire. Would like a more plug and play option. Which is the lesser walbro that uses stock wiring? Will it support 400-450 flywheel hp? I'm hoping for that someday.

Can someone explain the pulsator? Is it in tank? Part of pump? If so, do aftermarket pumps include it? I've read that it serves little purpose other than to quiet down the pump a bit, is that true?
Why is the pump the most likely?

I'd get the larger one and the wiring harness if that is what you want.

The pulsator sits between the pump and the fuel line in the gauge assembly. Supposedly it will dampen the fuel pulses with the old style pump. This is a slip on thing and with rubber, well, it can get old. Racetronix sells a kit that has submersible fuel hose and all the bolts you need for the job. That replaces the pulsator.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:09 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

I figured the pump as the most likely part of the fuel system to leave me walking someday.

The Racetronix 255lph C4 kit seems reasonably priced considering it seems to come with everything needed, including the upgrade wire harness which I do like that it is plug and play. Seems like a great option. It doesn't seem to come with the pulsator eliminating parts and I didn't see that advertised on their C4 parts page but I'm sure that's something I can figure out withthem at time of order.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I figured the pump as the most likely part of the fuel system to leave me walking someday.

The Racetronix 255lph C4 kit seems reasonably priced considering it seems to come with everything needed, including the upgrade wire harness which I do like that it is plug and play. Seems like a great option. It doesn't seem to come with the pulsator eliminating parts and I didn't see that advertised on their C4 parts page but I'm sure that's something I can figure out withthem at time of order.
It has a section of hose and 2 SS clamps. That is what you replace it with

Quick Reply: Replace injectors as Maintenance?