C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Xtralights HID Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 AM
PsychoJr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtralights HID Conversion Kit

I didn't see a recent post on this so I figured I would ask. I have a 96 and plain don't feel safe with the stock headlights at night in the rain. Has anyone used Xtralights? How's the quality and is the installation easy? Plug and Play?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

HID is obsolete 2010 retrofit technology. Go with LED.

GE Nighthawk
Gennsi
Truck Lite
JW Speaker
Old 11-09-2017, 01:36 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used glass rectangular lamps, as fitted to 1997 Jeep Wrangler (I believe). The lens pattern is way better. I use standard H4 halogen bulbs, but high wattage, and they're an absolute transformation without costing a fortune. Plus, they look stock. The only downside is the extra weight, which may cause extra wear on the headlight motor gears.

New Lights

I'm assuming the UK lights which dip to the left and were fitted to my European-spec car had a similar lens to US cars.
The following users liked this post:
johnanthonyhome (03-15-2018)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

Just got these and love them! Dan

Amazon Amazon

You do need a resister to allow the fog lights to work. Have to buy two but only need one.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:31 AM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd love to see the light cutoff comparison between the Genssi and the JW
Old 11-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Are prices coming down or are these just copycat junk?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Are prices coming down or are these just copycat junk?
They look like copy cats of the GE Nighthawks but good reviews from actual people so may be worth a try!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Damn those are nice, and they are indeed GE copies.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
They look like copy cats of the GE Nighthawks but good reviews from actual people so may be worth a try!
As do the Truck Lites. I will report back.

There are cheaper sets still, but they splash all over the wall.

Guess I'll need a resistor.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Just got these and love them! Dan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do need a resister to allow the fog lights to work. Have to buy two but only need one.
I tried it with Genssi but I needed BOTH of my resistors to make it work.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ht-bulbs/2179/
Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

What is this resistor crap all about ?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
What is this resistor crap all about ?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solution.html
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

This is stupid. Why isn't anyone just grounding the fog light relay coil somewhere besides the headlight high beam circuit ? Is it really that critical for the fog lights to shut off automatically why you turn on the high beams ? Why cant the driver just push the fog light button manually to turn them off. I gotta say having an additional resistor or (unbelievable) an actual marker light bulb as a resistor seems crazy to me.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

This is stupid. Why isn't anyone just grounding the fog light relay coil somewhere besides the headlight high beam circuit ? Is it really that critical for the fog lights to shut off automatically why you turn on the high beams ? Why cant the driver just push the fog light button manually to turn them off. I gotta say having an additional resistor or (unbelievable) an actual marker light bulb as a resistor seems crazy to me.
It's the way it is built. It wasn't built to handle a LED bulb since they draw much less power. Much like my other cars might detect a faulty bulb. So either put up with it the way it now operates, do the Circuit Doctor mod or have a nice clean resistor. So how tolerant are you?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
It's the way it is built. It wasn't built to handle a LED bulb since they draw much less power. Much like my other cars might detect a faulty bulb. So either put up with it the way it now operates, do the Circuit Doctor mod or have a nice clean resistor. So how tolerant are you?
That doesn't make any sense. I don't see why you cant just ground the fog light relay coil somewhere besides through the high beam headlight circuit. Maybe there is a very good reason, but I doubt it. Sooner or later I'm going to be doing this mod to my car and ill post how this craziness should be handled, but this crap with a marker light bulb and resistors and so on, is nonsense.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

That doesn't make any sense. I don't see why you cant just ground the fog light relay coil somewhere besides through the high beam headlight circuit. Maybe there is a very good reason, but I doubt it. Sooner or later I'm going to be doing this mod to my car and ill post how this craziness should be handled, but this crap with a marker light bulb and resistors and so on, is nonsense.
If you are willing to look up the circuit and find the right wire to ground, I agree. OTOH, I wanted it in and not to screw with it anymore. Between driving the car and fixing it, driving it wins. I just bought the resistor and installed and was done with it. How much effort are you willing to put into the project?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

If you are willing to look up the circuit and find the right wire to ground, I agree. OTOH, I wanted it in and not to screw with it anymore. Between driving the car and fixing it, driving it wins. I just bought the resistor and installed and was done with it. How much effort are you willing to put into the project?
It is virtually certain it took longer to scab the resistors in place than it would to just ground the relay coil somewhere, anywhere. Plus, the issue with the fog lights being inop if your high beams fail is still present.

Get notified of new replies

To Xtralights HID Conversion Kit

Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

It is virtually certain it took longer to scab the resistors in place than it would to just ground the relay coil somewhere, anywhere.

Plus, the issue with the fog lights being inop if your high beams fail is still present.
And hence I bought the resistor set which is Plug & Play. You have to remove the bulb and that goes inline without grounding anything.

Don't know. AFAIK, you can't have high beams and fog lights. No car I have allows that combination so if you want that, you will have to wire it separately.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

And hence I bought the resistor set which is Plug & Play. You have to remove the bulb and that goes inline without grounding anything.

Don't know. AFAIK, you can't have high beams and fog lights. No car I have allows that combination so if you want that, you will have to wire it separately.
There's no wiring anything separately. All that's needed is to ground the relay coil somewhere besides the high beam headlight power supply circuit. Turning on the high beam lites applies power to the what is normally the ground circuit for the fog lite relay coil, so the fog lites go out when you turn on the high beams. So the obvious answer is to ground it somewhere else. Not that I even care about any of that. I just don't want to be dorking around with a stupid marker light bulb or a resistor somewhere that clearly doesn't belong.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

There's no wiring anything separately. All that's needed is to ground the relay coil somewhere besides the high beam headlight power supply circuit. Turning on the high beam lites applies power to the what is normally the ground circuit for the fog lite relay coil, so the fog lites go out when you turn on the high beams. So the obvious answer is to ground it somewhere else. Not that I even care about any of that. I just don't want to be dorking around with a stupid marker light bulb or a resistor somewhere that clearly doesn't belong.
I agree grounding the relay was super easy with the FSM. I installed the Truck Lite LEDs and grounding the relay was easier than installing the actual headlights! Also installing the resistors does not take advantage of the LEDs low current draw on the factory wiring. Grounding the relay allows the driving lights to be on with the high beams.

Last edited by grandspt; 11-15-2017 at 05:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PatternDayTrader (11-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Xtralights HID Conversion Kit