need ca smog free co. address

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:17 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Default need ca smog free co. address

If you live in a smog free county in ca please pm me.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Click here for information regarding CA Smog
Old 11-16-2017, 12:36 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

I know the counties, looking for an address to use.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:20 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kimmer
I know the counties, looking for an address to use.
A public forum is not the place to start this kind of request.

I know how this works.

You got to have a place of residence, license, and registration to match.

If you get stopped, the cop will ask why your address is different in the license and registration. I know few San Diegans that used an address from El Centro in their registration, with an SD address. They were flagged and they had to re-installed the OEM exhaust manifolds.

Stories like those are the reason I would not install long tube headers in The Ghost. Other people do the handwork every two years, but I'm not with that either. 20-50-100 horses are not worth it.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:28 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

think second home
Old 11-18-2017, 01:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Get a ups box...they forward you mail anywhere you want.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:48 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

reg and lic in Nevada
Old 11-18-2017, 02:15 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
reg and lic in Nevada

that's the way to do it, but I think he wants a CA address.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:40 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Kimmer,

Offer still stands to make you inserts that fit into the pipe that neck down to about an inch to increase the back pressure.

Your a friend.....so no charge.

John
Old 11-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

And I am NOT bogus smog friendly. I will turn them in every chance I get. As stated,this is not the place to be asking that question. I basically have to jump through hoops to get my bone stock 24,000 mile 91 ZR-1 to pass a how bullshit,so will everybody else. I would love to have headers on my car but won’t take a chance on getting pulled over and having the car confiscated and doing the stock manifolds mombo every 2 years ain’t gonna work either. It really pisses me off when somebody’s looking for a bogus smog,then to ask on a social forum?
The following users liked this post:
CA1992C4 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't intend to ruin this thread but I can't believe California motor vehicle laws can not be amended with regards to long tube headers. If you can equip long tube headers designed to utilize factory emissions devices and O2 sensors, as on the stock exhaust manifolds and to equip California catalytic converters, even to bring the converter in closer to the exhaust ports by making it a bolt-on "collector" in the header, surely the laws should be amended to make this aftermarket alteration LEGAL. It would take a lot of time calling up and writing to California state legislators who represent you but if nothing is mentioned then nothing will ever be done. I live in New York and the long tube header issue is not too much of an issue as we don't have visual inspections but you MUST have your exhaust system utilizing emissions devices or else you will be held back from passing inspection. Unless you know someone who can illegally pass you but that is something I won't even go to.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 11-18-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:36 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Phoenix'97, you must understand that this is the government and they can do what the hell they want. My friend in the Sacramento area had a 86 Vette that passed the sniffer. But during the visual....yes they LOOK, he had a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Those of us that work on our cars know that you can use this to adjust the pressure to get the best performance and dial in the pressure for your car to get the best SMOG results also. The car does not come with an adjustable regulator and therefore they flunked his SMOG test. In order for the car to have headers, the header has to have a CARB number attached to the header. The same is true with CATS. You can have a CAT on the car to reduce emissions but if it does not have the CARB number attached, you flunk. Don't believe this about CATS, look at Summit or Jegs and you will find multiple CATS that will work on a car. But often you will find that they can and will not ship the CAT to California because it is not approved by the STATE!

The State has no leeway or flexibility nor do they intend to. Our politicians do not respond to the possibility to amend the laws.

I know exactly what is wrong with Kimmer's car. He does not have enough back pressure to operate the EGR which reduces the NOX reading. Most states do not measure NOX. If we put a restriction in the exhaust pipe it will increase the back pressure and make the EGR function properly.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Phoenix'97, you must understand that this is the government and they can do what the hell they want. My friend in the Sacramento area had a 86 Vette that passed the sniffer. But during the visual....yes they LOOK, he had a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Those of us that work on our cars know that you can use this to adjust the pressure to get the best performance and dial in the pressure for your car to get the best SMOG results also. The car does not come with an adjustable regulator and therefore they flunked his SMOG test. In order for the car to have headers, the header has to have a CARB number attached to the header. The same is true with CATS. You can have a CAT on the car to reduce emissions but if it does not have the CARB number attached, you flunk. Don't believe this about CATS, look at Summit or Jegs and you will find multiple CATS that will work on a car. But often you will find that they can and will not ship the CAT to California because it is not approved by the STATE!
How do you think new state laws are written? A single person, special interests, or groups of citizens band together and appeal to their representative to draft a bill to be considered by the state legislature. This is how the process works in our country whether you believe it works or trying is a complete waste of time. As per California law, they do not recognize the benefits of aftermarket automotive equipment and it's ability to improve emissions on vehicles it is equipped with. WELL, someone should educate California law makers and make the scientific data based case to allow for these parts to be equipped on vehicles and deemed legal to pass California automotive inspection. Surely enough pressure on law makers will result in an amendment to the current laws. You can't sit back and say I give up when the means exists to have your representative draft a bill on your behalf to get these laws amended.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:34 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
How do you think new state laws are written? A single person, special interests, or groups of citizens band together and appeal to their representative to draft a bill to be considered by the state legislature. This is how the process works in our country whether you believe it works or trying is a complete waste of time. As per California law, they do not recognize the benefits of aftermarket automotive equipment and it's ability to improve emissions on vehicles it is equipped with. WELL, someone should educate California law makers and make the scientific data based case to allow for these parts to be equipped on vehicles and deemed legal to pass California automotive inspection. Surely enough pressure on law makers will result in an amendment to the current laws. You can't sit back and say I give up when the means exists to have your representative draft a bill on your behalf to get these laws amended.
You don't live in California do you? How is it possible that the State can continue to lower the MAX levels for smog regulations? The State of California could care less for the automotive hobbiest.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You don't live in California do you? How is it possible that the State can continue to lower the MAX levels for smog regulations? The State of California could care less for the automotive hobbiest.
The case needs to be made that some aftermarket alterations to a vehicle do indeed help to cut down on emissions pollution as opposed to increasing them. With enough petitioning, with enough pressure on California state legislators, with enough factual and scientific data to prove this, the laws should be able to be changed from their 1970's era standards. Technology has improved since those days, we now have access to cleaner burning alcohol fuel if you wish to spend the additional money to use it and help bring it to the broader market, there are ways to make a higher performance vehicle MORE "emissions friendly", but there needs to be enough people demanding the amendments to the laws in California to make it happen. If you simply give up on the first try, you will have to continue to put up with outdated b.s. mandates for emissions.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
The case needs to be made that some aftermarket alterations to a vehicle do indeed help to cut down on emissions pollution as opposed to increasing them. With enough petitioning, with enough pressure on California state legislators, with enough factual and scientific data to prove this, the laws should be able to be changed from their 1970's era standards. Technology has improved since those days, we now have access to cleaner burning alcohol fuel if you wish to spend the additional money to use it and help bring it to the broader market, there are ways to make a higher performance vehicle MORE "emissions friendly", but there needs to be enough people demanding the amendments to the laws in California to make it happen. If you simply give up on the first try, you will have to continue to put up with outdated b.s. mandates for emissions.

What would be needed is enough MONEY and political influence. I lived there for 4 years and got out. The environmental lobby has way more power than the automotive enthusiasts. Add that an entire industry has been built around the emissions rules and it becomes a losing battle.

After my mandatory desert turtle rules briefing I knew I was in another world.
1) When a desert tortoise wants to cross the road all traffic must stop.
2) If you assist a tortoise across the road you must provide a bowl of water.
3) If you pick up a desert tortoise you must use 2 hands so as not to make it think your a coyote.

You can't make this stuff up.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by belairbrian
What would be needed is enough MONEY and political influence. I lived there for 4 years and got out. The environmental lobby has way more power than the automotive enthusiasts. Add that an entire industry has been built around the emissions rules and it becomes a losing battle.
AGAIN, if the entire automotive and aftermarket parts community in California were to come together and make a strong case that certain components can indeed reduce emissions as opposed to increasing them, contrary to what the environmental lobby claims, how can any legislators refuse to draft up the bill when they have the factual scientific data to back up the bill?

If this is a battle that the automotive and aftermarket parts community can win, why the hell would you throw in the towel without even putting up a strong fight? This is the problem in America, not enough participation in government and putting pressure on politicians so as to enable the continued b.s. that we all complain about but do NOTHING about!

Get notified of new replies

To need ca smog free co. address

Old 11-19-2017, 02:00 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Wait until you see the expectations/ limitations coming in 2020 if nobody stops it.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
They can't. They tried......

Just a couple years ago there was a concerted attempt by the aftermarket (SEMA) people to get California's "1975 and older don't need to be biennially inspected" raised to "25 years old don't need to be biennially inspected". When that looked like a non-starter, they changed the proposal to "1980 and older...". It failed to be adopted. The impetuous for the proposed changes was to widen the potential market for aftermarket parts on "classic" vehicles by adding 5 model years (1976-1980) to the exempt category. How many cars would that actually be? Not many, but still, it failed.

"Smog compliance" in California is a HUGE industry. Especially for bureaucrats. Lots of Ca.Gov paychecks, bennies, and retirements depend on the Smog Compliance rules and program. Politicians get elected using campaign donations from equipment manufacturers that get to force up-grades on the Liscenced stations at great expense (passed on to motorists, of course) every few years. It's a racket. Like most .gov programs are.
WELL, maybe a different approach is needed to make these vehicles "smog compliant" without the mandate forcing them to utilize nothing but O.E.M. components. If emissions is such a big concern in California, and even among the majority of liberal minded people, then how about a compromise where these older vehicles must produce less emissions in exchange for using aftermarket parts? The only solution to this problem being the use of bio-fuels, most notably iso-butanol.

If you can't win one way you find another way.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

I’ve got a feeling that when the DICKHOLES in Sacramento start trying to
outlaw the classic car hobby then it’s going to get real. As stated and it’s only common sense the a fully restored classic car runs better and is a cleaner burning car than it was years ago. Look at it like that this,go to a Good Guys show and times that by thousands. We do love our cars and it just might be us the automotive hobbiests that gets the attention of these DICKHOLES in Sacramento. My bone stock 1991 ZR-1 at 6000 original miles in 2007 would not pass smog today, where would anybody start to look into getting a car like that to pass smog even though when it was produced it was 100% Federally smog legal as mandated by the State?

Quick Reply: need ca smog free co. address