C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wet & Rusty (?) Part Under Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:46 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wet & Rusty (?) Part Under Car

Start on a positive note: I plumped up the tires and took the car for a nice ride this afternoon to run some errands. Time is limited before the onset of winter. I was happy with this pic I took (heavily filtered)...

1986 C4 Corvette

Okay now for the bad.

First off: I noticed there is some green coolant pooled beneath my intake manifold gasket. Wonder why that would happen? Have not seen that yet on this car. It looks like it has a newer gasket.

Second: I was peeling the flaky bits of stainless steel finish off my exhaust pipes (eyeroll) and decided to peek under the rear end of the car. I notice that this part is all wet, corroded, maybe rusty looking. It's located above the exhaust pipes. Hopefully you can see it in this pic.

What is that, and why would it be so wet and oily looking??
Old 11-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

that is your rear end housing and its leaking gear oil
Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Thanks for your response. Is the rear end housing part of the transmission? What is it for? I'm trying to google it, but I'm just getting a bunch of parts websites and no real knowledge.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the rear end transfer power to the rear wheels
Old 11-17-2017, 04:04 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Also called a differential. It's kind of important...
Old 11-17-2017, 04:17 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

I've gathered that most items in a car that contain fluid are important.

Rear differential gave me more relevant information to learn from so thanks for clarifying. I'm still researching in depth what it does and why it's important (I understand it basically sends power to the rear wheels).

This all makes a lot of sense because I've seen a small wet spot under the car, near the exhaust, and hadn't yet identified what it was. It was also causing the exhaust to smoke up time to time. Wonder how much it'll cost to fix.

Edit - just watched a YT video of a guy replacing the differential cover+gasket on an Astro van. Hmm. Doesn't seem horribly difficult... but I might want to know if there's something wrong inside the differential before making this a DIY winter project.

Last edited by corvette_realtor; 11-17-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 568 Posts

You would be very lucky if in fact is was the rear cover gasket and not one of the main oil seals. Clean it up and see where the leak is. Dan
Old 11-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 568 Posts

I suppose it goes without saying that you need to check or have checked the differential oil level before driving very much. Dan
Old 11-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
I've gathered that most items in a car that contain fluid are important.

Rear differential gave me more relevant information to learn from so thanks for clarifying. I'm still researching in depth what it does and why it's important (I understand it basically sends power to the rear wheels).

This all makes a lot of sense because I've seen a small wet spot under the car, near the exhaust, and hadn't yet identified what it was. It was also causing the exhaust to smoke up time to time. Wonder how much it'll cost to fix.

Edit - just watched a YT video of a guy replacing the differential cover+gasket on an Astro van. Hmm. Doesn't seem horribly difficult... but I might want to know if there's something wrong inside the differential before making this a DIY winter project.
a Corvette rear end assembly is A LOT more involved the a astro van

you need to remove the "bat wing" and all that is attached

Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Hmm. seems complicated for a n00b like me. I'll probably be getting this serviced by a pro.

So what's going to happen if I wait until spring to fix it (and keep driving the car as I have been)?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
Hmm. seems complicated for a n00b like me. I'll probably be getting this serviced by a pro.

So what's going to happen if I wait until spring to fix it (and keep driving the car as I have been)?
Your going to totally destroy it if you let it run out of gear lube. I'm telling you right now that leak is bad enough it needs immediate attention.. I would be checking the fluid level at least every 100 miles or less if you intend to continue driving it. The fact you see smoke from under the car at times is a pretty big clue it time to stop driving the car or get it fixed.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:02 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Is there a gauge or something somewhere to check differential fluid level? I assume the worst-case scenario is that the diff fails, and there is no more power to rear wheels. Mine doesn't seem to be noisy that I've noticed (lots of other noisy parts though).

Edit: NVM I'm pretty sure I've heard my car make a "clicking" or "ticking" sound like this truck with a bad diff. is making.

Maybe I should finally give up and trade my car for a better-kept one. lol

Last edited by corvette_realtor; 11-17-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:11 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

If you want o see what your rear end looks like, I have one laying on the floor of my Garage... its a D44 but mounts the same. BTW, you don't use a gasket in mounting the Diff. (sometimes called the pumpkin) back to the bat wing (which I also have laying on the garage floor). If you want to see the whole thing out of the car, your welcome to come over and have a look. I live just south of the drag strip in Indy (Avon). BTW, the old way ( dont know if its current but doubt if its changed) to check the level back in that pumpkin is to take out the plug and stick your finger inside the housing. The level should be close to the top. Don't let this part fail because of poor maintance.. over a grand to repair in a shop just in parts alone.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 11-18-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:35 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

In the pic posted by Nowhere man (thanks), the Bat Wing is the part that looks like a ladder mounter sideways and extends out past the pumpkin,, or perhaps a star wars fighter with wings. The Diff. works by taking the engine rotational power which is sent back by the driveshaft to the pumpkin, which turns that power into a rotational direction (90*) that your wheels are going.
BTW, I had open heart surg at the VA hospt down town. They left a small blood clot in my heart. When I woke, I went into a stroke. So is you see misspelling and such.. please forgive me as I do try . I do ok, just 1/2 blind in my left eye have have very little memory/recall. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 11-18-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:25 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The only way to check the level of the rear end lube is by removing the fill plug and feeling. The oil should be at the bottom of the opening when the car is on a level surface. Again this might be a job you source to a pro. And do it sooner then later The rear end doesn’t hold that much oil. I think two pints so if it’s leaking bad it won’t take long to empty.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

the plug is on the rear diff housing,,take the car to a service/repair shop and have somebody look at it,,

don't keep driving it around
Old 11-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow that's pretty wet...could easily be almost empty if you've never filled it. By the looks of the photo it seems to be coming from the front of the diff which would then be the main seal.

Get notified of new replies

To Wet & Rusty (?) Part Under Car

Old 11-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Front Pinion seal
Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Front Pinion seal

Yes...that^^^
Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

yeah, that’s a pretty healthy leak. And it does look like it’s towards the front of the diff indicating a pinion seal leak. Removing the rear diff is a pretty involved project. You have a lot to remove to get to it, have to disconnect the C-beam, support the tranny etc. Luckily the seals and gear oil are cheap!

Quick Reply: Wet & Rusty (?) Part Under Car