Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Average cost for transmission rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:47 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average cost for transmission rebuild?

I need to have the transmission and torque converter removed, rebuilt and replaced and am wondering the approximate average cost for it.

i have a 1992 C4 LT1 automatic transmission

Last edited by offroadjim; 11-18-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I just went thru this with my 89, 700r4. You can call any shop you would like and will get different answer. Some won’t even give you price without you bringing in car so they can examine it. If you buy on line, unless you put in transmission yourself, there might be warranty problem between who installed it and the transmission company. No matter what price you get from shop to rebuild it, add 1000.00 dollars to it to be safe.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2017, 01:21 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Back in 2010 I had a previous C4 {1995} Auto rebuilt and if I remember correctly it was about $2300
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

If you are taking it in to have the trans rebuilt and converter replaced its going to be in the 3k range.
I wouldn’t think both need to be done at the same time?
What’s the mileage and what is it doing?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:51 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A reputable shop won't ask that you bring he car in so they can remove the trans, tear it apart, and then tell you it's broke.

A good shop will do diagnostics such as a test drive (if possible) and then give you recommendations for repairs. The shop where I worked recommended installing Jasper transmissions. With a Jasper replacement, the shop could call and order a remanufactured trans with a replacement converter and have it delivered by the next working day. Then it was a simple matter of removing the old trans and installing the new one and the converter.

A stock-type converter was a warranty requirement. Jasper has a 3-year, 100k warranty on their transmissions and if something does go wrong with the unit, they will work with the shop to pay for labor costs in addition to replacing the trans.

A C4 auto trans should take about 4-5 hours to do a complete R&R so once a Jasper trans has been delivered, a tech can start in the morning and the car will be ready to drive home that day.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Another approach (depending on where you live) is to visit the local Corvette specialty shops. There are several within an hour's drive of Seattle where I am. Ask them who they use to rebuild customer's transmissions. Visit those trans shops and ask them.

The issue that I found when I recently had my 95 4l60e rebuilt with upgraded internals is that inorder for them to give me a warranty I had to purch a new TC through them or have them rebuild my
TC.

I thought this was a little odd but when I started to read the fine print from some of the on-line sellers I found the same thing... either you get a new TC through them.... or no warranty accompanies your rebuilt trans.

So, the Trans re-build cost approx $2,500 and the TC an additional $1,000. The package came with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and a free fluid and filter change at 25,000 miles. That being said I live in an expensive area of the country so your results may differ.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM
N42375
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

My 90 coupe had it's transmission rebuilt with updated improvements this summer for $2050 with a 3 yr,50,000 mile warranty. The 3/4 clutch pack went bad at 98,000 miles.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:12 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks..... I brought the car to a local reputable Corvette spealist shop that I really trust and they diagnosed it needing a rebuilt transmission, torque converter, flush the system for $2,500 with a one year warranty . A local transmission shop won’t really give me any information without me bringing the car in ($100 to diagnose) but they don’t think it would be over $2,000 not sure about a warranty from them. I’m trying to figure out if it should go back to the corvette shop or to a transmission shop. I don’t ever plan on selling the car and want it done right the first time.

It’s the original automatic transmission with 157,000 miles on it

Last edited by offroadjim; 11-19-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 790 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadjim
Thanks..... I brought the car to a local reputable Corvette spealist shop that I really trust and they diagnosed it needing a rebuilt transmission, torque converter, flush the system for $2,500 with a one year warranty . A local transmission shop won’t really give me any information without me bringing the car in ($100 to diagnose) but they don’t think it would be over $2,000 not sure about a warranty from them. I’m trying to figure out if it should go back to the corvette shop or to a transmission shop. I don’t ever plan on selling the car and want it done right the first time.

It’s the original automatic transmission with 157,000 miles on it
I would go with the Corvette shop. Dan
Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
I would go with the Corvette shop. Dan
Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I pulled the tranny myself and still cost me over a grand. BTW, a TC for V-6, S-10, THE SAME AS ONE FOR A 86 VETTE. yOU cant buy a new TC for your vette thru GM but you can for a S 10. I posted the numbers and reasons for this months ago.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 11-20-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I thought someone had mentioned a GM reman - but I don't see the post today. If there's a GM SERTA available the warranty is 3yr/100,000 for their transmission. Generally speaking regardless of who does the install if you have an issue with it take it to a dealer, if the install is clean and proper I don't know anyone that's had issues with warranty service.

I'd have a conversation and include theirs regardless of installer if it were available.

The GM Warranty document:

https://www.mycertifiedservice.com/c...m-GM-Parts.pdf
Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I have a similar situation, but nothing(I hope) is wrong with my '96 A4 trans with 92K miles. I am doing alot of work on the car and the trans is out, I plan on doing a yank or vig 3200 TC. My mechanic is going to have the trans opened up, inspected and a "soft rebuild" (I hope that means less money...LOL).
Thoughts on cost for a (hopefully) soft rebuild?

TIA
Old 11-20-2017, 11:13 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
I have a similar situation, but nothing(I hope) is wrong with my '96 A4 trans with 92K miles. I am doing alot of work on the car and the trans is out, I plan on doing a yank or vig 3200 TC. My mechanic is going to have the trans opened up, inspected and a "soft rebuild" (I hope that means less money...LOL).
Thoughts on cost for a (hopefully) soft rebuild?

TIA
For a few hundred bucks more, do a complete rebuild. You already have the tranny out. Have him change all the wear items. Everyone has a different definition of a rebuild. How does his soft rebuild compare with a full rebuild?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
For a few hundred bucks more, do a complete rebuild. You already have the tranny out. Have him change all the wear items. Everyone has a different definition of a rebuild. How does his soft rebuild compare with a full rebuild?

I don't know if I could agree more !
In fact I think its silly to do anything besides a full tear down/inspection/replacement of every single wear item.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:43 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

look at a ''GM/CHEVY'' reman,,comes with a warranty too
Old 11-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Great advice

Get notified of new replies

To Average cost for transmission rebuild?

Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 790 Likes on 566 Posts

The reason I say the Corvette shop is trust. This is a long story TL/DR might apply. In 1974 I went to look at a $300.00 Chrysler. It looked great. My first thought was this is way too cheap for this car. Just had an Earl Schieb paint job. It actually looked good. Old timers will remember, " I will paint any car for $29.99". I wanted to drive it and the man was old and just gave me the keys. Within two blocks I realized the transmission was slipping. I pulled in a gas station and checked the fluid and it was 2 or 3 quarts low. I filled it up and it worked perfect. Looked for a leak and saw nothing. I went back and bought the car. After it was mine I said," The transmission seemed to be slipping". He then said,"I probably should have told you the transmission needs to be rebuilt". "I just had it to Amoco last week". I said," Oh, don't worry it was just 2-3 quarts low of fluid and I put it in and it shifts perfect". He reached for the title and I said," The car is mine you have already signed it over". It did not have a leak. Turns out Amoco had rebuilt the transmission 6 months earlier and offered a free rebuild inspection right about the time the warranty expired. He took it in and they drained out enough fluid to make it slip and were going to get this old man to pay for another rebuild. Never had any trouble with the transmission. Unless you have a blood relative that owns a small shop I would be leery. A shop that specializes in Corvettes can't deal with screwing people and expect to stay in business. Dan
Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Rebuild prices can vary depending on hard parts that may need replaced. Sunshell, clutch housing, planetary gears...etc increase cost. A soft rebuild is seals and clutch plates. It's mostly refreshing all hard parts show minimal wear. You can save money by doing the R&R. You must clean cooler and lines failure to do so can cause new transmission to fail. Any trash in cooler would flow into transmission causing damage.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:57 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

There was nothing wrong with the transmission except for some leaky seals. My mechanic friend is friends with the trans guy and he will be there when they crack it open. If it needs a rebuild we'll find out, but I'm hoping it checks out and they replace the 'soft parts'(ie: seals, etc) and I can add the $700+ TC and be on my way.

I'll report back on the findings

Quick Reply: Average cost for transmission rebuild?