C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

coolant lines / throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by JasBass
I agree with you about the subjective part, not debating that at all. Back in my competition days, people would swear certain brand rifles/shotguns would kick harder, regardless of action. It was all BS. But, to go from not being able to touch the plenum to touching the plenum pushes a little beyond subjectivity. Coolant temps would run 210-215 on a stock HD rad system. Bypassed the TB and started seeing 185-195. 30 degrees (at the extremes) is enough to feel a difference for sure. Grumpy wrote up a nice article on it, showed some pretty convincing evidence it makes a difference. Not saying its 100 HP, but why not try and run nice cooler air to your engine
But what exactly is the effect of of the cooler TB? Much of the air charge DOES NOT contact the TB before it goes into the cylinder. What is the temperature increase as noted by the MAT sensor? After that, what is the effect it has on engine performance? Maybe a tenth of a percentage point? Maybe 1 percent? I'd highly doubt more than 5, if ever possible. It would have to be quite a bit for a SOTP dyno to pick it up.

After marrying a young beautiful girl, a ninety year old man told his doctor that they were expecting a child.

"Let me tell you a story," said the doctor. "There was an absent minded fellow who went hunting one day, and instead of taking a gun, brought his umbrella. Before he realized his error, a bear charged him. He aimed his umbrella at the bear, shot and killed him on the spot."

"That`s impossible!", the geezer exclaimed. "Somebody else must have shot that bear!"

"Exactly!", replied the doctor.

Last edited by aklim; 01-02-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:14 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
But what exactly is the effect of of the cooler TB? Much of the air charge DOES NOT contact the TB before it goes into the cylinder. What is the temperature increase as noted by the MAT sensor? After that, what is the effect it has on engine performance? Maybe a tenth of a percentage point? Maybe 1 percent? I'd highly doubt more than 5, if ever possible. It would have to be quite a bit for a SOTP dyno to pick it up.
Never said it was faster, said it idled smoother, ran better and had lower coolant temps. I’m sure it is more affected at idle on a hot day over cruise speeds since idle means a longer contact time with the TB. Not entirely sure where the disagreement is. When did cooler air become a bad thing? Not being snarky, but even if it’s fractions, you’re making a positive improvement in the engineering unless you live in ND or ME and drive in freezing temps. http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...-bye-pass.169/
Old 01-02-2018, 03:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JasBass
Never said it was faster, said it idled smoother, ran better and had lower coolant temps. I’m sure it is more affected at idle on a hot day over cruise speeds since idle means a longer contact time with the TB. Not entirely sure where the disagreement is.

When did cooler air become a bad thing? Not being snarky, but even if it’s fractions, you’re making a positive improvement in the engineering unless you live in ND or ME and drive in freezing temps. http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...-bye-pass.169/
OK. I'm sold that it does give a little more power. My disagreement is that the temp difference is enough to significantly improve things. I can't argue with the power on the dyno but still skeptical that the idle will change noticeably. I'm a skeptic by nature. I doubt everything till proven. Grumpy proved that there is a little power gain which we cannot dispute since he did it in a thorough manner based on what I read. While the theory that it changes idle quality is interesting, I haven't seen proof that it does. I'm always a doubter till proven.

Cooler air isn't a bad thing. Whether it makes anything significant when idling is uncertain since there are no datalogs. My SOTP dyno can only process major changes so when something is not "night and day", I discount any feelings the SOTP dyno gives me. To be certain, I never noticed any major or minor change in idle quality after I did the bypass. If anything minor was noticed, I simply ignored it since it wasn't objective.

Last edited by aklim; 01-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:22 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

If a hundredth of a second matters in a quarter mile, then maybe its helpful.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 PM
RWC4PHX
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a quick question for clarification. The bypass was already done on my 94 but the PO did not cover the pipes where the hoses connect to the TB. Does it hurt not to have them covered? Living in Arizona I see no reason to hook the hoses back up.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

No. Leaving the hose fittings unplugged or uncovered won't hurt anything.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RWC4PHX
Just a quick question for clarification. The bypass was already done on my 94 but the PO did not cover the pipes where the hoses connect to the TB. Does it hurt not to have them covered? Living in Arizona I see no reason to hook the hoses back up.
I would not bother
Old 05-21-2020, 11:02 AM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Way back in this thread someone posted the part # for a 90* Dayco 5/8" (#80406 48" in length) heater hose that could run directly from the front of your engine to the heater core inlet after doing the throttle body coolant bypass. Thanks

BTW if your looking for a 90* Gates 5/8" heater hose equivalent it's Gates part # 28472.
These #'s are for an L98 engine not an LT1

Last edited by mako41; 06-29-2020 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
polo91 (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: coolant lines / throttle body