C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking at 90 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:20 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
It is a start, BUT it is at a dealer which means they got it an auction for almost nothing or they got it in on trade for 3-5k is my bet depending on what they PO bought.

The Tach on a '90 is a most common problem. Not an issue.

Car history, better photos, how motivated is the dealership? They don't want a c4 believe me. Look at the other vette inventory in the background of photos, not c4s.

The good news is they are willing to try to resell it, so it is most likely not too hacked up or beat up, so they could clean it up and advertise it. Not to say it is trouble free, but it is a better than a CL seller IN SOME CASES.

Nice one, but keep looking IMO.

What is your budget?
Do you like small projects?
Do you want a vette or a Special vette?
If you would rather buy a special vette learn the build codes and decide, because if a little more money is not an issue you can get lt4 (I know you need auto, but price range matters) cars for 8-9k or zr1's for 12-?K.
There is a guy here selling a nicely done '93 anniversary for like 9k? it's auto. His name is 1993c4lt1 and there are many others in the F/S section here. usually not trying to rip people off or dump junk, sometimes a little history trail of the car too is left here.
A person can purchase a decent zr-1 for 12k?

My original thought was Id get my feet wet with a nice c4 for less than 8k.. it just so happens 8k was my maximum I was thinking to get into a vette and decide if I even one want.

Im very on the fence on the convertible vs targa. In my youth I would track a car.. but now, especially after the accident, it just isnt going to happen.. so a rigid frame is not a huge deal..

I thought about a special vette.. its nice to say, I have something special here.. not the ordinary.

Ive been reading but need to read more..

I need to price out headers, a cam and ecu change for a l98 vs lt1.

I like metallic paint... a lot.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
My original thought was Id get my feet wet with a nice c4 for less than 8k.. it just so happens 8k was my maximum I was thinking to get into a vette and decide if I even one want.

You could but if it has all kinds of lights on, it isn't nice. It is a PITA and a Moneypit.

That is more of a problem since there are fewer and fewer people doing dyno tunes or even "Guess a Tune" for the C4.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Palanon
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

one of the lights is for SRC (FX3). Not to make you nervous but, that could mean anything from a loose ground/electrical connection to a major problem that could cost well over $1,000 +. Just for that light alone I'd want the trouble codes and pics of the shocks. The shocks cost $250 new or can be rebuilt for $150. Rebuilding actuators is about the same and new are over $350 these days. I happen to really like the option when it is working well so chucking it for regular shocks wouldnt be an option. Granted, I got a really good deal on a nice 94 convertible at about a thousand less than that one with no codes but, there are plenty of others deals like mine out there if you shop around.

Personally, I'd pass on that one. Doubt it will sell fast so you can always revisit if you really like it and it's options.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:24 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

A person can purchase a decent zr-1 for 12k?

Im very on the fence on the convertible vs targa. In my youth I would track a car.. but now, especially after the accident, it just isnt going to happen.. so a rigid frame is not a huge deal..

I thought about a special vette.. its nice to say, I have something special here.. not the ordinary.

Ive been reading but need to read more..

I like metallic paint... a lot.
12k zr1 is an ebay car that has been touched and not a beater but not perfect. Not sure if it is there.

Parts for parts on both engines you end up with the same power ability.

if you bought one to be better or newer lt1 would be fine.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:28 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

12k zr1 is an ebay car that has been touched and not a beater but not perfect. Not sure if it is there.

Parts for parts on both engines you end up with the same power ability.

if you bought one to be better or newer lt1 would be fine.

A zr-1 is out for me if there are no automatics.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:57 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

I understand that and stated so before that I was using examples of price.

In other words c4's are cheap overall. Even if you say a great zr1 is 20k that means a regular or base is low. Asking is asking.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

I understand that and stated so before that I was using examples of price.

In other words c4's are cheap overall. Even if you say a great zr1 is 20k that means a regular or base is low. Asking is asking.
I understand..

You know, I really appreciate you guys calming me down and setting me straight. I was about to make a ginormous mistake.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 PM
aklim
Team Owner

IIRC, they didn't come with an auto. Not that you can't put one in if you really wanted one. Wouldn't be worth it but you can.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I understand..

You know, I really appreciate you guys calming me down and setting me straight. I was about to make a ginormous mistake.
Someone else will make that mistake and buy the POS. They will get the Corvette Fever and buy whatever is in front of them hoping it is a cheap fix which it almost never will be. Just remember it's just another item you are buying. Be clinical about the process not emotional.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:05 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
Someone else will make that mistake and buy the POS. They will get the Corvette Fever and buy whatever is in front of them hoping it is a cheap fix which it almost never will be. Just remember it's just another item you are buying. Be clinical about the process not emotional.

Agreed, no rush. Although I am 52 and times flying by.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I suggest that you take some time and check out as many C4's for the time you have available. Right now, prices are going down somewhat. It may be worth contacting a local Corvette Club to see if any of the club members might know of a C4 for sale that meets your desires. In any event, purchase the best car you can find for your budget. There are nice C4's out there but you just have to find them.

Also, don't worry about things like mods to the engine, suspension, trans or even custom interior touches. Once you find a nice car, then you can start to plan out what you would like to do and find reputable shops to do the work.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:02 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I suggest that you take some time and check out as many C4's for the time you have available. Right now, prices are going down somewhat. It may be worth contacting a local Corvette Club to see if any of the club members might know of a C4 for sale that meets your desires. In any event, purchase the best car you can find for your budget. There are nice C4's out there but you just have to find them.

Also, don't worry about things like mods to the engine, suspension, trans or even custom interior touches. Once you find a nice car, then you can start to plan out what you would like to do and find reputable shops to do the work.
Agreed.. does anyone have a book or website that would be recommended to learn about all the c4 years? I found a few and found them fluffy and limited in technical information.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

/\Google search or advance search here. If I get board I'll post links or try to name it all or someone will. It's about 15-20 things newer cars less issues of course.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

/\Google search or advance search here. If I get board I'll post links or try to name it all or someone will. It's about 15-20 things newer cars less issues of course.
thanks.. I'll try to find it.

Can someone tell me what color this is? Its from a 90 which recently sold on ebay.. what is the likelyhood I will find this? and should since, eventually I will likely end up replacing the interior with new "stuff" should I care? Should I care about changing colors and the whole originality thing?
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:20 AM
aklim
Team Owner

You can get matching color seats and carpet. I had to since my seat was getting broke over the years and the middle of the cushion tear was the last straw. That said, if you change color you will have to change the seat belts and the door panels too. So maybe not. Just stick with cushion, seat covers and carpet change and that should put you back about $2000, give or take.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:36 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

You can get matching color seats and carpet. I had to since my seat was getting broke over the years and the middle of the cushion tear was the last straw. That said, if you change color you will have to change the seat belts and the door panels too. So maybe not. Just stick with cushion, seat covers and carpet change and that should put you back about $2000, give or take.
You'd be surprised how well modern interior rattle cans designed for paint over vinyl work.. In fact, Ive even used it on leather seats and it holds up amazingly well.. as long as you prep right (but not for a color change but for minor wear repairs, same color).

Looks like I need to design a spread sheet so I can quickly look at a car and determine what it would end up costing me to get me to where I want to be.

Is a tan, or saddle, or whatever this is considered desirable? Seems like most people love black.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:56 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

How desirable are convertibles vs. targas? I already know automatics arent very desirable which works in my favor.. but wondering about the two body types.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at 90 convertible

Old 12-02-2017, 12:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

You'd be surprised how well modern interior rattle cans designed for paint over vinyl work.. In fact, Ive even used it on leather seats and it holds up amazingly well.. as long as you prep right (but not for a color change but for minor wear repairs, same color).

Looks like I need to design a spread sheet so I can quickly look at a car and determine what it would end up costing me to get me to where I want to be.

Is a tan, or saddle, or whatever this is considered desirable? Seems like most people love black.
You aren't going to paint over the tears if it shows cushion. Besides I want something better for my tush hence the new seat cushions.

I'd prefer a lighter color since black picks up heat and I sit in thin shorts.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

All sorts of service lights? And he wants $8K? He is high and you sound desperate to own a C4.

I went and test drove this car because it was a easy way for me to test drive a vette since Ive never driven one.

The car was not as described to me over the phone. Was in very rough shape.. lots of issues as far as I could tell. Lets of shaking goin on under acceleration. Brake pedal went very far down.. not sure if this is normal for these cars... but didnt give me much confidence in braking. And felt relatively spongy. AC didnt work. And even though I specifically asked him if it was a respray, it was a respray.. and I think it went from black to a metallic gray of some sort.

Power seemed good.. I mean, I couldnt break the rear end lose, but seemed to be about 250 hp or so.. and it shifted well.. dash was severely warped above glove box.. drivers mirror didnt work, hood stay was laying disconnectd in the engine compartment. Lots of wires disconnected under the hood recently.. Headlights popped up fine. I didnt even get out and do a walk around to check the lights.. but over all, I would say it was a $4000 car to a millenial with $4k to burn.. and a lust for a vette.

$2500 to me.

Anyway.. I did like how a vette feels.. I like the seating position and I like how the steering "feels".. Im picky about brakes because my daily is a BMW and always has been so I will likely never be happy with the brakes.

Next....
Old 12-02-2017, 05:38 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Default opinions please high mile 96

Could I get some opinions on this one please? Been conversing with owner and apparently it is in very nice shape. Apparently.. with this many miles.. what should I look for? leaky seals?

1996 Chevrolet Collectors Edition Corvette. 1 of 4031 Collector Edition coupes produced.
Collector Edition (Z15) Special edition Corvette body package.
The Special Edition Corvette, included a special Sebring Silver paint color, P255/45ZR17 front and P285/40ZR17 rear tires, 5-spoke wheels painted silver with matching special "collector edition" wheel cap centers, "NEW" perforated gray leather interior sport seats accentuated with "Collector Edition" embroidery from Corvette America and "NEW" Collector Edition floor mats, black brake calipers with "Corvette" lettering, and a special trim package featuring chrome "Collector Edition" badges. The 1996 Collector Edition Corvette was solely designed to help honor the end of the C4 era.
This Collector Edition Corvette came equipped with the 300 HP LT1 engine.

DON'T LET THE MILAGE SCARE YOU, THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL GARAGE KEPT, WELL MAINTAINED VETTE. MAKE ME AN OFFER I CAN'T REFUSE.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Looking at 90 convertible