C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wheels are complicated...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:28 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveBlakeman
Thanks to all of you have contributed to this thread. The questions and answers have been exactly what I've been wondering for my 95.

Do you all recommend the China replicas for the A molds?

Thanks
Won't matter, I think they are a little heavier than stock, but who knows this many years in to making them.

Buy from a reputable place, or AFS used or try OE wheels they seem cheap.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 AM
Komiller118
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not trying to hijack, but will 9.5 sawblades with 285's scrub/rub on the front?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Komiller118
Not trying to hijack, but will 9.5 sawblades with 285's scrub/rub on the front?
Don't know why they would. They would be the same height (26.1" I think) as the 255s that came OE on the 8.5" wheels. And that's only about 1/2" taller than the 275s.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:30 AM
c4p
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by straycatt
Good info.
So, I'm assuming there are not going to be any rub issues with the 275's in the front on heavy corners. What about the 11" rims out back with 315/35's? If I was to go with those....rub or no?
Im currently running 275s in the front and 315s in the back..not having any problems though am contemplating some grand sport type fender flares for the rear
Old 12-11-2017, 01:05 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

With the correct offset C4's can run lots of tire. my 88' stock had 275's on all 4 corners with 56mm offet factory 17x9.5 wheels.

I currently have 315's on all 4 corners with 18×10.5 Z06 wheels. Now that my suspension is redone and alignement is dialed in it does track rutted roads much at all. I think some of the 'wandering' people attribute to bigger front tires is related to worn suspension or improper alignment specs.

as long as you have the proper offset ) OR use spacers/ adapters to compensate) I don't think you will have an issue running 275's on all 4 corners.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hard to find a good tire guy these days but if you do its worth paying a few dollars extra. Few and far between, mine has never done me wrong, everything always fit perfect. recently had him run true duals all the way back on a c4. like a work of art he did, an old world craftsman at this point, most of the young bucks at the shops these days cant even keep their shoes tied. Cant tell you how mad I get when an idiot tries to put a balancing weight on the outside of my wheels but what do you expect at the crappy lube.........
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
Hard to find a good tire guy these days but if you do its worth paying a few dollars extra. Few and far between, mine has never done me wrong, everything always fit perfect. recently had him run true duals all the way back on a c4. like a work of art he did, an old world craftsman at this point, most of the young bucks at the shops these days cant even keep their shoes tied. Cant tell you how mad I get when an idiot tries to put a balancing weight on the outside of my wheels but what do you expect at the crappy lube.........
Or they put a floor jack under the floor pan and crack it. From now on I'll take my wheels off and take them to the tire shop. Or take it to NTB where my neighbor works. I know where to find him.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:08 PM
straycatt
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just for a little closure on this thread....

I bought the 9 1/2's, and finally got the tires that I ordered last week installed today. Nitto 555G2's, 285's in the rear and 275's in the front. I'll never put enough miles on these tires to wear them out before they grow old and die, so being able to rotate tires with a square set up wasn't a concern.

I really like the way it looks. Too bad I have to wait months for spring, to get it out on the road.
Again, thanks to all who contributed to this thread...
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2017, 12:20 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Glad you got what you like, looks good. Remember, you're the only one you have to please so if you're happy that's all that matters.

When I got the replacement rims and tires for my 86, like was mentioned earlier I took the rims down to the tire place and let them mount and balance them but put them on the car myself. Saved a lot of aggravation and potential damage.

Last edited by hcbph; 12-30-2017 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
straycatt (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 04:47 PM
straycatt
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Glad you got what you like, looks good. Remember, you're the only one you have to please so if you're happy that's all that matters.

When I got the replacement rims and tires for my 86, like was mentioned earlier I took the rims down to the tire place and let them mount and balance them but put them on the car myself. Saved a lot of aggravation and potential damage.
I totally agree.

I really didn't want to use them, but Discount Tire had the best price (including mounting/Road Force balancing) locally. They seemed happy to get me out the door....I carried my rims in with the shipping protectors on the face of the new wheels. I insisted on no clip on weights, tires built in the last half of 2017, and no damage whatsoever to my wheels.

They actually did a nice job, but no way would I want them trying to get my car up in the air...

Quick Reply: Wheels are complicated...