C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weatherstrip Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Weatherstrip Help

I need a new Weatherstrip for the Windshield top and "A"pillars on my 1993 Convertible.
There are too many choices. OEM, EDPM, Rubber,Latex, Improved Latex maybe even Silicone.Imported or Domestic. This is aside from the various sellers.
Does anyone have real experience with this? I suppose time frame would be important as well since a 10 year purchase would not reflect present availability.
I thought this would be an easy choice, price sometimes is a determinate but the difference in price seems to be over $100. Even the usual suppliers cannot agree.
HELP!
Barrier

Last edited by Barrier; 12-13-2017 at 07:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aklim (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:06 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I like oem stuff. Not sure what is and what isn't available though.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:43 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
I have heard that there is no more available from GM. All the descriptions say "OEM Quality", or design I don't know what that even means. GM OEM for other parts means made in China, not that that is bad but I don't want to go thru this and have to do it again and again. I have heard of good quality one time and second different supplier and poor or no quality.
In the scope of things this is not a major problem. Just a small pain.
Barrier
Old 12-13-2017, 12:42 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/di...arnmoreid=5594

This is where I bought my weatherstripping...get the "made in the USA"
Old 12-14-2017, 05:50 AM
seu318
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A second vote for Corvette America's WS. I used it on my '91 coupe. Was very impressed and it has held up well, though its only been on for just over a year and a half. I have yet to do the hatch area though.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:11 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

In my opinion, in regards to weatherstripping I will always look for NOS. Its the best fitting and highest quality. Otherwise, OEM isnt bad. As mentioned, try to find USA products.....
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by seu318
I have yet to do the hatch area though.
I could kick myself for not doing the rear hatch, but IIRC....the total was adding up ($500+) and I held off.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
In my opinion, in regards to weatherstripping I will always look for NOS. Its the best fitting and highest quality. Otherwise, OEM isnt bad. As mentioned, try to find USA products.....
Is NOS going to be that good after all the years? Sure, if they stopped making them last year, no problem. OTOH, if the last set was made 20 years ago, well......

Another issue I have is that there might be a supplier that sells it to different vendors so unless they are made to different spec, what's the difference? I suppose we can try SteeleRubber but IDK how good they are. I know they are much more expensive and before I shell the money ($780) vs ($529), I'd be curious to see if it is something that will work better, in which case, I'd be willing to pay more or it is something someone is reselling.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Are you serious ? Is this component really that expensive ?

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 12-14-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Are you serious ? Is this component really that expensive ?
https://www.steelerubber.com/body-we...kit-90-3295-90 $779.30

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...96-coupe-26687 $529.00

I wouldn't care which one I bought as long as it was the better of the two. That ($230.30) could be the price difference that scares enough people away that we can't get enough of a sample size to see how it holds up over time. Nothing would **** me off more than having to go back in again in 2 or 3 years to redo.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:00 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
Is NOS going to be that good after all the years? Sure, if they stopped making them last year, no problem. OTOH, if the last set was made 20 years ago, well......

Another issue I have is that there might be a supplier that sells it to different vendors so unless they are made to different spec, what's the difference? I suppose we can try SteeleRubber but IDK how good they are. I know they are much more expensive and before I shell the money ($780) vs ($529), I'd be curious to see if it is something that will work better, in which case, I'd be willing to pay more or it is something someone is reselling.
I have had no issues with NOS for my outer window belt moldings/window sweeps..... Same with door seals for my sons 95 when he had it. So long as its in the GM packaging, there was no problem for me.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 81c3
I have had no issues with NOS for my outer window belt moldings/window sweeps..... Same with door seals for my sons 95 when he had it. So long as its in the GM packaging, there was no problem for me.
When you got them, how old were they?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:58 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

When you got them, how old were they?
Belt moldings about 3 months ago... they were pliable and fit perfectly. The door seals.... probably 5 years or so for the 95.... When stored properly I don't think there is an issue...
Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

https://www.steelerubber.com/body-we...kit-90-3295-90 $779.30

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...96-coupe-26687 $529.00

I wouldn't care which one I bought as long as it was the better of the two. That ($230.30) could be the price difference that scares enough people away that we can't get enough of a sample size to see how it holds up over time. Nothing would **** me off more than having to go back in again in 2 or 3 years to redo.
Oh ok.
I thought it was just for the back window. I was about blow another gasket since in the thread that Renfield started back in 2016, the Wilcox people (or person) admitted that the reproductions don't fit right. The 529 number is probably worth it even though the back glass strip fitment sucks.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Oh ok.
I thought it was just for the back window. I was about blow another gasket since in the thread that Renfield started back in 2016, the Wilcox people (or person) admitted that the reproductions don't fit right. The 529 number is probably worth it even though the back glass strip fitment sucks.
Perhaps but if the other one has it all fitting, it would be worth the extra $230 so you don't have to do it again
Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Yes it would.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

One thing i learned, buy a kit.
Dont buy piece by piece.
I bought what i needed when i found a killer price, and i had some issues with fitment.
I also used "metro" brand.

I hate my seals!
Way too stiff, seals great, but even after two years, i can't roll my windows up with out opening my doors, or unless i bring my windows up in increments.
up till it stops, down a little, then up a little more...
I hate it!!
the tightness also makes it so i need to slam my doors to get them to close.
​​​​​​​With the original seals it was a very light close with a nice soft "click".

There might be some window adjustments i'm missing, however on my driver side i upgraded to the later power windows thinking i needed more power, but there was very little improvement...

I'm thinking about trying the Willcox brand after i paint the car...

Last edited by Gibbles; 12-14-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip Help

Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gibbles
Dont buy piece by piece.
I bought what i needed when i found a killer price, and i had some issues with fitment.

I hate my seals!
Way too stiff, seals great, but even after two years, i can't roll my windows up with out opening my doors, or unless i bring my windows up in increments.
I hate it!!
​​​​​​​With the original seals it was a very light close with a nice soft "click".

There might be some window adjustments i'm missing, however on my driver side i upgraded to the later power windows thinking i needed more power, but there was very little improvement...

Yeah dang, I'm thinking you have some window adjustments to make.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gibbles
Dont buy piece by piece.

I hate my seals!
I hate it!!

Question is who else gets "Metro", isn't it? If it comes from a different vendor who got it from "Metro", well, you see the problem.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:18 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Question is who else gets "Metro", isn't it? If it comes from a different vendor who got it from "Metro", well, you see the problem.
That's a good point, who uses metro as their supplier?
in the end i probably need to open the door up and play with the adjustments for a few more hours.
Probably better now that they have had some time to soften.

The biggest issue i had was with the lower door seal, tons of trimming to make the a pillar and ths lower seal play well together.
super hard rubber there.
I have noidea what they were thinking, original seal was soft foam in that location.

One positive thing, the rear hatch seal has not yet split in the corner. 😉

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Help