Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How many 1987 C4 Owners in Vette-Land?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:15 AM
Varoom - Vette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many 1987 C4 Owners in Vette-Land?

Curious to get a count of 1987 owners on here, not just C4's but 1987 C4's. Just like to get an overall rating here and also what you've had to fix or repair on your 87. I've a long list of what I had to replace/repair and want to see if what I've done is typical for this year. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-23-2017, 10:01 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Varoom - Vette
Curious to get a count of 1987 owners on here, not just C4's but 1987 C4's. Just like to get an overall rating here and also what you've had to fix or repair on your 87. I've a long list of what I had to replace/repair and want to see if what I've done is typical for this year. Thanks in advance!
exhaust, water pump, egr valve, cold start injector, asr, digital dash, ac control head, heater core over a period of five years
Old 12-31-2017, 11:24 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Love my Lady, been going a lot of fix up work, pretty sure the POs did okay.

She tempted me to become a hobby mechanic, and I certainly agreed with her.

Part of the list, sure I forgot some things from the last two years.

Replaced Power window motors, both sides.
Converted third brake light to LEDs.
Replaced plugs and wires.
Replaced shocks.
Replaced front brake shoes.
Replaced front and rear bushings.
Replaced front ball joints, tie rod ends.
Replaced fuel pump and filter.
Fixed the rear hatch solenoid.
Flushed coolant.
Tore down to engine block, had heads machined.
Cleaned many gaskets for days.
Chased the horror code 36.

Washed, waxed many times.
Accompanied Her to a car show.

Moving now to replace fuel injectors, EGR valve, IAC and rebuild throttle body, all stuff I should have done with the heads last winter. Oops.
Time for some 18" wheels and tires, since the 16" are extinct.

But, mostly, I drove, Drove and DROVE with my Lady!
Old 01-01-2018, 01:39 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought an '87 coupe with a 4+3 back in February 2003. I had just retired and I wanted a Corvette that I could drive anywhere, anytime in good or bad weather. At that time I also had a '92 convertible that was a touring car and took it to shows.

The '87 soon became my dedicated autocross car. I upgraded the suspension, added headers and a true dual exhaust system. Picked up some Hoosiers and an extra set of wheels and bought a trailer.

When I bought the '87, the engine had been slightly modded (.030 over, intake port matched, Comp cam/lifters, and balanced/blueprinted all done by a very reputable area shop).

Over the years, I had to replace some parts but that was due more to parts wearing out because of autocross.

I sold the car in December 2016 and for all of the time I had owned it, it never once failed to start, never broke down. The trans worked fine, never replaced any engine accessory. It really was a fun car to drive and I would have driven it to any point in the country without worry.

The following users liked this post:
kael (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I bought mine while on vacation in Colorado in 1991. It is a 4+3 car also.

I replaced the tires immediately. The only maintenance/repair I had to do was the oil pressure sending unit read low and I replaced it, the clutch slave needed to be bled once and then never had to again.

I also made a mistake and got wax on the key resistor pellet. It failed the resistance check in the column and the car wouldn't start. I tried cleaning it, but no good. I had to replace the key.

It was a fun car. With the non Z51 suspension the overdrive was the 0.60 ratio. On the 1000 mile trip home when I bought it, it got just over 30 mpg. That really surprised me. I daily drove the car for a few years.

The following users liked this post:
kael (01-02-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

87 here. Bought used way back in 89. Replaced many things: exhaust, head/tail lights, wheels rotors/brakes but all because I wanted to. What I HAD to replace was both window contraptions because of worn plastic parts. They are both all metal now, go up and down twice as fast as the original. Replaced all the rubber bits because of ware and tare and weather taking it's toll.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 01-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How many 1987 C4 Owners in Vette-Land?

Quick Reply: How many 1987 C4 Owners in Vette-Land?