Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Protection for the digital gauge cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 AM
michgill
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protection for the digital gauge cluster?

Hi guys,
For Christmas I received a new gauge cluster for my 89, and I was wondering if there is anyway I can avoid it getting the lcd's blotchy. My current one has one huge blotch that covers the entire speedometer, kind of a pain when driving to and from college. I've seen some places say it is caused by heat, which could be understandable with Alabama summers getting unbearable, and I've seen others that say it is direct sunlight hitting the gauge. Would just getting a windshield sun shade be effective? Thank you in advance
Old 12-26-2017, 03:59 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
The early clusters had heat issues from the halogen backlight bulbs, your 89 should already have Xenon backlight bulbs I believe.
I replaced my 85 bulbs with led ones many years ago, original dash and still looks great.
Keeping the car out of sunlight is the best way, the UV light damages the film on the glass. That results in unreadable dash unless wearing sunglasses.
My 85 is now a weekend car, is garaged during the week however she has 176,000 miles on her. She is no trailer queen and gets driven as much as I can the dash still looks great, I like to take her for a good couple of hundred mile drive every weekend.
Cheers

Last edited by gerardvg; 12-26-2017 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
michgill (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:27 PM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi
The early clusters had heat issues from the halogen backlight bulbs, your 89 should already have Xenon backlight bulbs I believe.
I replaced my 85 bulbs with led ones many years ago, original dash and still looks great.
Keeping the car out of sunlight is the best way, the UV light damages the film on the glass. That results in unreadable dash unless wearing sunglasses.
My 85 is now a weekend car, is garaged during the week however she has 176,000 miles on her. She is no trailer queen and gets driven as much as I can the dash still looks great, I like to take her for a good couple of hundred mile drive every weekend.
Cheers
Have to ask.... How did the LED dash lights work? Can you dim them?

Get notified of new replies

To Protection for the digital gauge cluster?

Quick Reply: Protection for the digital gauge cluster?