Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Water pump and optispark OUCH!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Water pump and optispark OUCH!!!!!

1996 conv 6spd with 90k. WP and Opti went yesterday, Since daily driver, needed mechanic to fix. not cheap, but fast and done right. Pick up today, Wish I had a couple of days to do myself
Old 01-16-2018, 07:02 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Charsel
1996 conv 6spd with 90k. WP and Opti went yesterday, Since daily driver, needed mechanic to fix. not cheap, but fast and done right. Pick up today, Wish I had a couple of days to do myself
It is a hard choice having some one else do the install but it is a job i wish i sent out because the warranty now is in your installers hand and you do not have to chase the parts supplier if there is a problem.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Did you have them do all the "while you're in there" stuff too? Like plugs, wires, timing seals, hoses, knock sensors, coolant, etc. Would you mind sharing the extent of the OUCH? I'm curious how much I saved busting my *** replacing all that stuff.

Took me two months of mostly pounding on that balancer. Some here say it's a two hour job.

Also, because so many GM apologists among us here claim that the Optispark is being replaced in error, how did you determine that yours failed? I pulled mine because of the WP gusher, even though it was still working. Turned out the rotor had spit out a screw inside the cap and the bearing had excessive play. It might have gone another 10K miles.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Book time is 4 hours. I'm sure the new pump was 200, the opti was 300, so I'm gonna guess they charged right around a grand to fix it.

Really not too bad, better than paying a grand for a single electronic component.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Charsel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Renfield
Did you have them do all the "while you're in there" stuff too? Like plugs, wires, timing seals, hoses, knock sensors, coolant, etc. Would you mind sharing the extent of the OUCH? I'm curious how much I saved busting my *** replacing all that stuff.

Took me two months of mostly pounding on that balancer. Some here say it's a two hour job.

Also, because so many GM apologists among us here claim that the Optispark is being replaced in error, how did you determine that yours failed? I pulled mine because of the WP gusher, even though it was still working. Turned out the rotor had spit out a screw inside the cap and the bearing had excessive play. It might have gone another 10K miles.

Hoses were good (just replaced), coolant sensor done, all other sensors tested good, plugs and wires replaced. Having had a '67 MGB, water pump/optispark replacement would not have been difficult, except for time downtime.

Oh yeah, $1,200 out the door. Kept old opti to trying to rebuild when this one goes. Should have gotten drain hoses for weep holes, but another day. So much for headers/cats and 1.6 rockers. Summer will be a good time budget wise. I am finding out that a'vette and racing sailboat tends to drain the wallet
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I took a day off work when I did my 1995 opti cap at 100,000 miles. Replaced water pump, hoses, plugs, wires, opti cap and rotor, balancer, timing chain/gears and seals incluging water pump drive shaft seal.

Finished it the second day. Pulling and installing the balancer was easy because I used the proper tools. It was just too much money to pay for. Didn't rush as I had never done one before. When the NAPA water pump failed the next year I knocked it out quick.

Had all this room to work with!!!

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 01-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 PM
Charsel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
I took a day off work when I did my 1995 opti cap at 100,000 miles. Replaced water pump, hoses, plugs, wires, opti cap and rotor, balancer, timing chain/gears and seals incluging water pump drive shaft seal.

Finished it the second day. Pulling and installing the balancer was easy because I used the proper tools. It was just too much money to pay for. Didn't rush as I had never done one before. When the NAPA water pump failed the next year I knocked it out quick.

Had all this room to work with!!!
That's what I wanted to do, but work takes 1st place (for now). It looks like the Grand Canyon
Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Hoses were good (just replaced), coolant sensor done, all other sensors tested good, plugs and wires replaced. Having had a '67 MGB, water pump/optispark replacement would not have been difficult, except for time downtime.

Oh yeah, $1,200 out the door. Kept old opti to trying to rebuild when this one goes. Should have gotten drain hoses for weep holes, but another day. So much for headers/cats and 1.6 rockers. Summer will be a good time budget wise. I am finding out that a'vette and racing sailboat tends to drain the wallet
If you have a 1996 six speed manual, it is an LT4 and you already have the 1.6 (roller) rockers straight from the factory, courtesy of GM! Used to race Highlanders and Lightenings, not sure I could afford that and a Corvette at the same time but, at least you don't have to buy rockers.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:06 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Having had a '67 MGB,
I feel your pain. Best thing about my MG, was that I learned things at 45 mph that would have later killed me at 90 mph in my first vette. Yeah I was young and "enthusiastic".
The following users liked this post:
Charsel (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
If you have a 1996 six speed manual, it is an LT4 and you already have the 1.6 (roller) rockers straight from the factory, courtesy of GM! Used to race Highlanders and Lightenings, not sure I could afford that and a Corvette at the same time but, at least you don't have to buy rockers.
My mistake; I have 1995 6spd. A long day yesterday
Old 01-17-2018, 07:55 AM
Renfield
Drifting

When my WP died, it blew out the rear bearing seal. The gusher came from well above the weep hole, so a drain hose there would've been a waste of time. I skipped it.

So if I back out the cost of parts, doing the work myself saved about $700. Not a bad job at that rate.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Renfield; 01-17-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Charsel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Renfield
When my WP died, it blew out the rear bearing seal. The gusher came from well above the weep hole, so a drain hose there would've been a waste of time. I skipped it.

So if I back out the cost of parts, doing the work myself saved about $700. Not a bad job at that rate.
My WP was missing about 6 bearings; Opti looks OK. Hopefully, there won't be a next time. If so, I'm doing it myself. What could possibly go wrong???????????????????????
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It's not too bad, had my laptop out with me under an awning when I replaced the opti and pump, and pulled the truck around to use the tailgate as a workbench. Took about a week with having to stop for work and having to keep looking back at the manual on the laptop and looking at some videos to see what it was talking about. Think the worst part was putting the balancer back on, I couldn't get the tool in there correctly, so I torqued the hell out of the balancer bolts to get it back on. Probably not the best idea (actually come to think of it, it was a really stupid idea), but it's on now, probably forever. I just hope it lasts long enough to either trade her up or swap in a different engine.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Originally Posted by KenMathisHD
It's not too bad, had my laptop out with me under an awning when I replaced the opti and pump, and pulled the truck around to use the tailgate as a workbench. Took about a week with having to stop for work and having to keep looking back at the manual on the laptop and looking at some videos to see what it was talking about. Think the worst part was putting the balancer back on, I couldn't get the tool in there correctly, so I torqued the hell out of the balancer bolts to get it back on. Probably not the best idea (actually come to think of it, it was a really stupid idea), but it's on now, probably forever. I just hope it lasts long enough to either trade her up or swap in a different engine.
In 5 yrs, LS1 swap looks pretty good, just for not having to deal with Opti
Old 01-20-2018, 02:15 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

sweet boat
Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Charsel
Instructor

Originally Posted by kimmer
sweet boat
Thanks. When I bought it, I told my wife I don't need a 'vette now. I love my wife for the forgiving soul she is, as well as a good sailor and boat driver.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:15 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

My WP was missing about 6 bearings; Opti looks OK. Hopefully, there won't be a next time. If so, I'm doing it myself. What could possibly go wrong???????????????????????
Did you replace the Opti, then? I was going to say that with the 95/96 vented Optis, a coolant spill probably isn't going to hurt it. And if you did replace it with a new non-OEM one, then don't throw it away! The module in that thing, at the very least, is worth keeping, If the bearing is still good, the whole thing is worth keeping.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-20-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump and optispark OUCH!!!!!

Old 01-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Charsel
Instructor

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Did you replace the Opti, then? I was going to say that with the 95/96 vented Optis, a coolant spill probably isn't going to hurt it. And if you did replace it with a new non-OEM one, then don't throw it away! The module in that thing, at the very least, is worth keeping, If the bearing is still good, the whole thing is worth keeping.
Opti replaced, and I kept the old. Kind of drying it out just in case
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

In 5 yrs, LS1 swap looks pretty good, just for not having to deal with Opti
An LS1 harmonic balancer would cost you more than your opti did, and one of those failing can destroy the engine.

It' really not a bad diy job, and it will probably last you 15 or 20 years. I don' get people complaining about it. These cars are all over 20 years old by now, stuff will need replaced. Every 20 year old car will.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by FAUEE
An LS1 harmonic balancer would cost you more than your opti did, and one of those failing can destroy the engine.

It' really not a bad diy job, and it will probably last you 15 or 20 years. I don' get people complaining about it. These cars are all over 20 years old by now, stuff will need replaced. Every 20 year old car will.
Clearly, empathy is not your strong suit.

Quick Reply: Water pump and optispark OUCH!!!!!