C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

January spin

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:53 PM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts
Default January spin

45 and sunny in MI today! Roads were dry, had to get out for a little HP therapy.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdlclam:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (01-22-2018), kael (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 01-21-2018, 12:57 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

How many people looked at you with the facial expresssion of "WOW...Why are you driving that nice car in the winter"?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:44 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
How many people looked at you with the facial expresssion of "WOW...Why are you driving that nice car in the winter"?
I would guess not too many. Most normal people would not see anything wrong with driving a car down a public road when and where they choose regardless of the season.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:52 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Won't drive mine here in CT because of the salt :P
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by arbee
I would guess not too many. Most normal people would not see anything wrong with driving a car down a public road when and where they choose regardless of the season.
The car in the picture isn't a 1990's minivan. It's Winter. Snow and salt conditions. It's an old classic Corvette. I think most "normal" people understood my question to the O/P.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
Won't drive mine here in CT because of the salt :P
Yup. Salt on that road and would never do this
Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

The car in the picture isn't a 1990's minivan. It's Winter. Snow and salt conditions. It's an old classic Corvette. I think most "normal" people understood my question to the O/P.
And I think most normal people can see a picture and read what the OP stated. "Roads were dry....". He is doing what cars were made for...DRIVING. At the end of the day, it's his decision, not anyone else's.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

And I think most normal people can see a picture and read what the OP stated. "Roads were dry....". He is doing what cars were made for...DRIVING. At the end of the day, it's his decision, not anyone else's.
Dry doesn't mean no salt that could cause damage.
Cars are made for driving, but vettes need a little more care if you expect to keep them for a long time
Old 01-22-2018, 01:03 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Dry doesn't mean no salt that could cause damage.
Cars are made for driving, but vettes need a little more care if you expect to keep them for a long time
Everyone to their own opinion. I just don't happen to be a subscriber to the "Chicken Little...the sky is falling" crowd. There is nothing special about these cars. Fun to drive?..Yes. Agile on the road?...Yes. Nice styling?...Yes. Special?...NO. Glass, metal and rubber like any other vehicle. Are you saying it would be totally acceptable to take a 70 or 80 thousand dollar duellie down this same road but not to take a less than 10,000.00 Corvette because this imagined salt is going to destroy it?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:45 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to drive Corvettes in the winter. I didn't get to drive my C4 this winter, but I've driven my C5 a lot.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Everyone to their own opinion. I just don't happen to be a subscriber to the "Chicken Little...the sky is falling" crowd. There is nothing special about these cars. Fun to drive?..Yes. Agile on the road?...Yes. Nice styling?...Yes. Special?...NO. Glass, metal and rubber like any other vehicle. Are you saying it would be totally acceptable to take a 70 or 80 thousand dollar duellie down this same road but not to take a less than 10,000.00 Corvette because this imagined salt is going to destroy it?
Seriously? You'd better educate yourself!
As far as a more expensive vehicle? You most likely didn't buy it to last several decades as many do with their corvette
I've seen my fair share of rusted frames

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 01-22-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

OP, I hope you had a nice spin in your car! When you live in the Midwest, sometimes you gotta get a toy out and go play when the opportunity presents itself.

Love the blue - probably my favorite of all the C4 colors I have seen.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Seriously? You'd better educate yourself!
As far as a more expensive vehicle? You most likely didn't buy it to last several decades as many do with their corvette
I've seen my fair share of rusted frames
I'm thinking you are the one that needs to educate yourself! Here you are, ragging on about the OP going for a drive on a perfectly dry road. I fail to see these piles of salt that are going to reek havoc on his car. As far as you seeing rusted frames, I don't doubt it. You live next to a body of saltwater! It's a well documented fact that seaside communities have a higher incidence of corrosion on their vehicles simply from the salt laden air! By your way of thinking, no one living in any city next to an ocean should be driving their car during any season!
How are you able to avoid this calamity more easily than a guy hundreds of miles from an ocean and driving on a dry road? How do all these people in seaside communities protect their precious Corvettes that they bought to last for decades?

https://blog.allstate.com/does-livin...fect-your-car/
Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

"arbee" According to your avatar, you don't even own a Corvette. Is this true? If you do own one, can we see a recent picture of it? Year, model, etc? This will help the rest of us see your side of this subject.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:28 PM
jdlclam
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by turtle96
OP, I hope you had a nice spin in your car! When you live in the Midwest, sometimes you gotta get a toy out and go play when the opportunity presents itself.

Love the blue - probably my favorite of all the C4 colors I have seen.
Good gravy, sorry for starting WWIII. 😜 It had been 7 weeks since it got out of the garage thanks to the nasty December weather. It was dry enough and clear enough to go for a 20 mile spin - didn’t see any other Corvettes on the road, but that’s not unusual - mostly I see C6 and C7 around here. As someone said, you have to take advantage of clear roads when you can during these MI winters. It doesn’t come out to play in the rain or snow, but the car too much to hibernate it 6 months out of the year, and I will drive it around the block on reasonably nice winter days. Otherwise, she rests in the garage.

Last edited by jdlclam; 01-22-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jdlclam
Good gravy, sorry for starting WWIII. 😜 It had been 7 weeks since it got out of the garage thanks to the nasty December weather. It was dry enough and clear enough to go for a 20 mile spin - didn’t see any other Corvettes on the road, but that’s not unusual - mostly I see C6 and C7 around here. As someone said, you have to take advantage of clear roads when you can during these MI winters. It doesn’t come out to play in the rain or snow, but the car too much to hibernate it 6 months out of the year, and I will drive it around the block on reasonably nice winter days. Otherwise, she rests in the garage.
No. You didn't start any arguments. Most of us agree that getting to take your Vette out in the winter on nicer days is always a great thing! I merely asked you if you got any strange opinions or looks when you did so. I always do under these circumstances. It's kind of funny and appreciated at the same time. Nothing negative by me was intended towards your spin in your car. Have fun I say! But it's hard to understand someone who calls a Vette nothing special and expects the rest of us to agree with him. Especially since we're on a forum dedicated to C4's. You obviously do feel your car is special and you wanted to treat yourself and your car to a "spin". I personally hope you get some more time behind the wheel this winter!

Get notified of new replies

To January spin

Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

"arbee" According to your avatar, you don't even own a Corvette. Is this true? If you do own one, can we see a recent picture of it? Year, model, etc? This will help the rest of us see your side of this subject.
Not sure when displaying a car picture on your avatar became mandatory. Many others with no picture, so I guess we are all in violation. If you require more information, it is readily available by looking at my profile.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Komiller118
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW............... All this negativity
Drive it like you stole it..............
Old 01-22-2018, 09:46 PM
KMS88Cal#16
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

👍
Originally Posted by Komiller118
WOW............... All this negativity
Drive it like you stole it..............
I took my 96 CE Convertible out Saturday for a drive. 50 degree day in NE in January. Got to get it out of the garage!

Last edited by KMS88Cal#16; 01-22-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: January spin