C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Door ajar switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:42 PM
stabac
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Door ajar switch

1985 the larger cylinder in the switch moves in/out, does the smaller button on the end also telescope or is it fixed to the larger cylinder?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:06 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 375 Posts

I have a 1984 and if my memory serve me correctly the smaller plunger will move in and out manually. It appears to me to just be a way for the minor adjustment for the switch. I have one side that the smaller plunger is broke off and missing and the door ajar switch still works properly.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

The way it works is they are originally installed with the small pin telescoped outwards. Once the pin pushes in, I do not think it is designed to push back out again. It's sort of like a one-way ratchet system I gather. As the weatherstripping compresses that pin pushes in more.

I had one that was pushed all the way in and when I adjusted my door it was not contacting the door jam anymore and I could not pull it out. The new one had the small pin pushed out. They recommend closing the door slowly for the first time. That way the pin does not get smacked in prematurely. It sets in one position and then as the weatherstripping compresses over the years it's slowly pushes in to compensate.

when I was trying to pull my pin out, I did read that others have successfully pulled her there pin out. I was unable to pull my pin out.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

some people install a small round rubber pad, similar to the ones you would find on the bottom of a chair leg or the ones you would find on the bottom of the cupboard door. They put it on the frame of the vehicle and that makes up for the gap.

Get notified of new replies

To Door ajar switch

Quick Reply: Door ajar switch