C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1990 Convertible Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Maldini
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 1990 Convertible Purchase

Hi everyone, i'm looking for a bit of advice on purchasing a C4. The situation, and the car is a bit unique. Let me explain.

My uncle purchased a 1990 Convertible 6-speed off the lot when it was new (black on smoke gray leather), enjoyed it for a handful of years before moving himself and the car to Italy (around 1997). Years later (2002/2003), he decided to move back to Canada, only he left the Corvette behind where it remains to this day. He of course is the original owner, and has decided to let the car go since he has no desire to keep it. My cost of the car is essentially the cost to ship it to Canada (around $4,500 - $5,000 USD).

So is it worth it? Well the car has right around 18,000 miles (30,000 km's), is factory original in every way except for a replacement battery, and the tail lights were changed to meet whatever department of transportation requirements there are in Italy (he of course kept all original parts). Even the original Gatorback tires are on the car, though they're more than likely dry rotted and of no use.

The downside is the car has been idle, and largely untouched for some time. My uncle has been back to Italy twice, once in 2005/2006, and again in 2011/2012. Standard maintenance was performed on both visits - an oil change, fresh fuel, and he did drive it a little bit. Since 2011/2012 though, nothing. It's tucked away in a garage, and probably hasn't seen a ray of sunshine for 6 or 7 years. The car will no doubt require some work since it's been sitting for this long, however I'm unsure of what to expect should I choose to ship it. Apart from changing every fluid, draining the fuel, replacing the fuel filter and possibly changing out the sending unit, what else might I expect to encounter? Likely every rubber hose that is part of the cooling system will need to be changed as well. I am prepared to spend what I need to in order to make it right, but I don't want to exceed the value of the car in doing so (including the cost of shipping).

Here's a list of RPO codes. Fairly standard stuff except for the sport seats, and selective ride (which functioned fine when the car was last driven).

19T, 1SB, 41U,903, 909, 90I, AC1, AC3, AJ3, AQ9, BGR, C68, D4D, DB9, DL8, E5Z, E9Z, FE1, FX3, G87, GT7, JL9, K05, K68, KC4, L98, ML9, MN6, NA5, NK4, QA1, T61, U19, UU8, UX0, V56, V73, XAU, YAU, Z31, Z49

Thanks, and looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:03 AM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My opinion is, your uncle spent good money originally to export the car to Italy, where the corvette (and especially C4) are rare and considered high end / exotic cars. Taking a quick look at Italy Ebay, a 1990 vert would sell for about 20k USD there, while if you imported it back to the US the car would be worth around 8-10K USD and that is after you spent the 5K USD shipping plus you may need to spend more to re-convert it back to US standards (ie. the tail lights). If I were you, I'd buy a ticket to Italy for a few weeks, make a vacation out of it while making arrangements with mechanics to do the basics like changing all the fluids and replacing the tires, and a good wash. Odds are it will be fine otherwise. I'd then sell it locally in Italy, and use the 20K$ USD to get a nice C4 in US for 8-10k$.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:57 PM
Palanon
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What DanADaMan said. It's low miles a decently equipped. Unless there is sentimental value to you, you or your uncle could make a decent chunk of change. At the least, you get a nice trip to Italy to deal with what I would guess as minor repairs and your uncle recoups a lot of what he spent. If he gifts to you, you get a nice trip and a choice of a nice sports car when you get home. Even an outstanding deposit on a newer Corvette or (gasp) other go fast zoomie! If you go that route, get a sports car. Preferably a Corvette. Don't waste the opportunity on a grocery getter, no matter what anyone says.

If it's a bring it home or nothing kinda deal, bring it home. It's worth the five grand for shipping plus replacing lights to stock.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:56 AM
Maldini
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Palanon
What DanADaMan said. It's low miles a decently equipped. Unless there is sentimental value to you, you or your uncle could make a decent chunk of change. At the least, you get a nice trip to Italy to deal with what I would guess as minor repairs and your uncle recoups a lot of what he spent. If he gifts to you, you get a nice trip and a choice of a nice sports car when you get home. Even an outstanding deposit on a newer Corvette or (gasp) other go fast zoomie! If you go that route, get a sports car. Preferably a Corvette. Don't waste the opportunity on a grocery getter, no matter what anyone says.

If it's a bring it home or nothing kinda deal, bring it home. It's worth the five grand for shipping plus replacing lights to stock.

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts. Though he hasn't outright said it, I can only assume its a bring it back home or nothing kind of deal. I wouldn't feel right going about it any other way. I guess the reason i find myself in this position is because of a sentimental attachment to the car (this is a bit of a common thing for me - pic below is my first car that I bought over 17 years ago, and I still own it). Anyway, I was barley 7 years old when my uncle took me for a ride in his brand new Vette, and I have always had the desire to one day own it, or at least one like it. I think its because of this history he's offering me the car.

As I write this I can't help but think I've had my mind made up for a while to ship it back and enjoy it. I guess my point to this thread was seeking a reason to talk me out of it. Whether it just don't make economic sense to spend the money in shipping when a better car can be had for less, or its too far gone mechanically that shipping and repairing would again not make it worth it. Where I am in Canada, I don't see a lot of C4's pop up for sale, and the ones I've seen have been abused, are over priced, and have high mileage. I am quite confident I would leave enough meat on the bone if I can do everything I need to (including shipping) for $8-10K.

Second pic is the Vette as it sits right now. It's been covered all these years so not nearly as dusty as I thought it might be.
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2018, 07:13 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Go get it, these are a want/feel good thing not "makes sense"

Living life on a spreadsheet is boring.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Go get it, these are a want/feel good thing not "makes sense"

Living life on a spreadsheet is boring.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:31 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

18k miles ?? For five grand ??

You don't need to ask any more questions, just go get it.
Alternatively, have your uncle contact me here, and I will go and get it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Convertible Purchase

Quick Reply: 1990 Convertible Purchase