C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 AM
drivestwin
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95tealconvert
I did not take from the responses that anyone is worried about the paint but rather they are trying to get you to realize that $2-3K is too much for the car you are describing. The reason why is you are talking about buying a car that does not run, has bad paint, bad leather, doors do not open etc. etc.

We are just trying to help you make a educated decision since you are asking. Just does not make sense to pay up to $2K for this car when there are running examples in much better shape for not much more. It is much better to save up and buy a better example in the long run. You are right that the C4 represents a great bang for the buck in today's market but buying a good example is your best move.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

a high mi C5 recently sold here for 5k. Visually cherry hes a member here but traveled everywhere it was a true hwy mi car. So keep an open mind and a leery eye lots of cheap vettes that arent projects.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

A turd, is a turd, is turd.....just flush em. Lots of nice ones for cheap. Start lookin.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:06 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have looked on multiple websites to see what is out there. There are not that many, within 200 miles or so, that are for sale. I have seen prices for decently nice ones for 5k to 10k. I can't tell a difference between one that is 5k and one that is 10k. Because of this, I was not sure of the price c4s are going for now a days. Thats why I asked. It seems some people say it's a ridiculous idea and some say less money.

If I were to get one, then I want it to be the older body style and a manual transmission. This one not only has what I want, but has the added bonus of being a couple miles from my house. I guess I'll just see what the owner will do. If he wants to be ridiulous on price then yeah he can keep it!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:28 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Any project on a car these days is more money than you'll ever expect.

It's an old parked car. That generally happens for a reason.

Now throw in age, being parked, half covered, etc...

You'll find out to make the car feel right you need NEW
-z51 suspension parts
-tires
-possibly exhaust unless stainless already

Then you can fix the cracks in seats, or buy different.

Is the paint peeling or the clear coat?

If it is stick and he can get it running and moving enough for you to see the brakes are not stick, it will move etc... Consider it at 1500. BUT KNOW you will be in for a couple thousand to make it right, and more to make it decent.

The prices are all over because sellers know someone uneducated will buy a "vette" for 10k.

Drive a 10K c5 then a 10K c4. C4 is more fun to some, but c5 is a better baseline. Just depends what you want.

You can get a decent c4 for less than 10k for sure. I have seen them for sale here.

Make sure you want a C4 before you buy one. Especially this one.

Last edited by pologreen1; 02-22-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by BowerPower
I have looked on multiple websites to see what is out there. There are not that many, within 200 miles or so, that are for sale. I have seen prices for decently nice ones for 5k to 10k. I can't tell a difference between one that is 5k and one that is 10k. Because of this, I was not sure of the price c4s are going for now a days. Thats why I asked. It seems some people say it's a ridiculous idea and some say less money.

If I were to get one, then I want it to be the older body style and a manual transmission. This one not only has what I want, but has the added bonus of being a couple miles from my house. I guess I'll just see what the owner will do. If he wants to be ridiulous on price then yeah he can keep it!
The paint needing done as well as all the other problems makes it a parts car. By the time you get it the way it should be you will have spent thousands more than you could ever get back for it.
Wouldn't take it for free unless I had time to part it.
Lots to pick from on craigslist when driving season starts
Old 02-22-2018, 01:57 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Any project on a car these days is more money than you'll ever expect.

It's an old parked car. That generally happens for a reason.

Now throw in age, being parked, half covered, etc...

You'll find out to make the car feel right you need NEW
-z51 suspension parts
-tires
-possibly exhaust unless stainless already

Then you can fix the cracks in seats, or buy different.

Is the paint peeling or the clear coat?

If it is stick and he can get it running and moving enough for you to see the brakes are not stick, it will move etc... Consider it at 1500. BUT KNOW you will be in for a couple thousand to make it right, and more to make it decent.

The prices are all over because sellers know someone uneducated will buy a "vette" for 10k.

Drive a 10K c5 then a 10K c4. C4 is more fun to some, but c5 is a better baseline. Just depends what you want.

You can get a decent c4 for less than 10k for sure. I have seen them for sale here.

Make sure you want a C4 before you buy one. Especially this one.
I completely agree! It will need loads of new parts to make it run and drive like it did in 1985. My 1949 Chevy pick up sat for 6 years before I got it running and driving. I know the time, money, and patience it takes to make it right. Working on stuff like this is what I like to do in my free time. Spending the the money is no fun, but part of it.

Only the door an roof have paint problems, the rest is fine. It so much a complete car, that I it would be a waste to use it as a parts car. There's a good chance that I could make it run in a day, but I may never know.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:22 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 871 Posts

I completely agree! It will need loads of new parts to make it run and drive like it did in 1985. My 1949 Chevy pick up sat for 6 years before I got it running and driving. I know the time, money, and patience it takes to make it right. Working on stuff like this is what I like to do in my free time. Spending the the money is no fun, but part of it.

Only the door an roof have paint problems, the rest is fine. It so much a complete car, that I it would be a waste to use it as a parts car. There's a good chance that I could make it run in a day, but I may never know.
There is a big difference in a restored 85 Corvette and a restored 49 Chevy Pickup. The Pickup actually has value after the restoration.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I do not see any place where you stated the mileage on this project. That would be a determining factor of value to me. Help me with the risk I would be willing to take on things like the OD unit working OK.

As described it would be worth $1000-1500 to me.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by divotdug
I do not see any place where you stated the mileage on this project. That would be a determining factor of value to me. Help me with the risk I would be willing to take on things like the OD unit working OK.

As described it would be worth $1000-1500 to me.
Why?
Add a $5k (conservative) paint job
$2k (conservative) to fix interior and mechanical issues
And you are at least $2K over what it's worth
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

watch the for sale section here youll see some well maintained ones pop up. Doesnt cost that much to have one transported....if you can find the right member to inspect it in the long run its worth it. Be patient if you are buying local there will always be more....just have to sort through them to find one thats "right". A long term owner is usually a good sign

Lots of guys pick these up cheap hoping to save em on the cheap. They get a taste of what it really takes, and the car changes hands over and over.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:46 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Everyone telling you that's too much hasn't priced out a manual trans car. 2-3k is a lot for a risky buy (he could be lying about the engine and trans being good), but it' a reasonable price for a stick shift Bette. Autos are worth several thousand less than sticks.

If you should buy it all depends on what your appetite for risk is. If it does need a new engine, are you ok with that? It's just as likely to be a blown fuse as it is a grenaded engine at this point.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Everyone telling you that's too much hasn't priced out a manual trans car. 2-3k is a lot for a risky buy (he could be lying about the engine and trans being good), but it' a reasonable price for a stick shift Bette. Autos are worth several thousand less than sticks.

If you should buy it all depends on what your appetite for risk is. If it does need a new engine, are you ok with that? It's just as likely to be a blown fuse as it is a grenaded engine at this point.
Where'd you dream that up?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Why?
If having the car painted cost $5K then I would rather drive it around like it is or just run it primer only the darn thing!
I stated the interior is perfectly fine, other than the cracked leather seats, but that can come later. It really just needs to be cleaned.
I'm not buying the car to restore it and stick it in the garage. I want it to drive a sports car and enjoy the speed and performance that comes with it.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Originally Posted by FAUEE

THANK YOU, FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!!

90% of the corvettes for sale are automatic, which I will not buy.
If the engine were to be dead, that is not a problem because I was soon to start a new 383 for my 93 Blazer, but if the funds have to go to a corvette engine, no big deal.
The day it did not start the owner went to my boss to ask for ideas, but he never followed through with it. My guess it because has other things to drive, the corvette just being an extra car for fun. He does run his own business, so I assume that he can get busy.

Last edited by BowerPower; 02-22-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:26 PM
ON 8TH
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking back I think I got screwed when I bought the 58, hard top included for $500.00
Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Where'd you dream that up?
Sold prices? Buying one? Go check prices and you'll see it's true.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 price?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Why?
Why? Because a paint job is not going to cost me $5k. My son's FIL and BIL are both auto painters by trade. All it would cost me is material and to help with the prep.

I also would not be buying it with the expectations of flipping it. I would be buying it because I like tinkering with project cars.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:34 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

A paint job will only cost 5k if you want a really good paint job. If the car is just a driver, you don't have to spend that much.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

It would have helped if you had said you only wanted responses that agreed with you.

I don't believe the 4+3 adds much if any over a auto trans. There getting hard to find parts for too.

IF you must have the earlier body with a manual find an 89.

Quick Reply: C4 price?