convertible deck lid protector

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 06:03 PM
Greg Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default convertible deck lid protector

HI Friends,

I need to replace the protector on my deck lid. Are there separate protectors for convertible top and hardtop? Also, how do you remove the old one? Can I use a heat gun? Is there a foolproof way to attached the new one in the right location? Thank you kindly.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:30 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Johnson
HI Friends,

I need to replace the protector on my deck lid. Are there separate protectors for convertible top and hardtop? Also, how do you remove the old one? Can I use a heat gun? Is there a foolproof way to attached the new one in the right location? Thank you kindly.
There are two types of deck lid protectors, one each for the soft top and accessory hardtop. There used to be a choice between black and clear for both. The aftermarket ones are two part (rt & lt) static cling things. I put one on for the hard top in the fall. It does not correspond to the coverage of the OEM one for the soft top. I have not tried to remove the existing clear one but... I expect heating it up moderately would loosen the adhesive.

The one I have will only go on one way as the tips must touch the door opening and the rear center must overlap and meet congruently.
The static cling ones are easy to move around, no issues. If you are using one with adhesive, I'd guess that a spray bottle of soapy water would help, like installing a big decal.
The following users liked this post:
Greg Johnson (04-25-2018)

Quick Reply: convertible deck lid protector