C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Panel fitment issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Panel fitment issue?

I have a 94 auto with what looks like is a panel fitment issue. The hood appears to stick out 1/4 inch from the drivers door and the gap between the hood and door seems off. Am I right? If so any ideas on how to adjust?

Old 05-15-2018, 03:49 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

It does look like it's sticking out more then it should, does the other side do it? Has the car been in an accident before? Is the hood original? I'm not aware of an LT1 badge being on the hood. for any year, just ZR-1s.

In some ways it just looks like it might not be fully closing and latching.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

My GrandSport doesn't look that much better and it has never been hit, I have owned mine since new. As long as the gap is the same on both sides I'd say it is normal.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
It does look like it's sticking out more then it should, does the other side do it? Has the car been in an accident before? Is the hood original? I'm not aware of an LT1 badge being on the hood. for any year, just ZR-1s.

In some ways it just looks like it might not be fully closing and latching.
The other side does not stick out it is flush with the door. I believe that the hood is original no accidents were on the carfax. I put the LT1 badges on.
So, anyone come across this issue? Anyone know if the hood has any adjustments?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

If the critter is off it ain't by much, Ive seen em much worse ( usually on cars that have been "bopped in the nose" ) Don't see enough there to fiddle with really. But I do see three specks of dust...how about getting on that fella

later, tiny
The following users liked this post:
Kens94 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

You can make some adjustments to the guide pin on the hood. You can make some small alignment movements so I think a 1/4 should create no issues. Any more and you will look at making adjustments to the hood hinges.
Kens94 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Kens94
So, anyone come across this issue? Anyone know if the hood has any adjustments?
I looked in my FSM for my 96, there is no mention of adjusting the hood from side to side, not sure if that can be resolved. Unfortunately in the 80's & 90's QC on body panels was not at the level it should have been. On my 96 by the left side rear wheel well I can clearly see if the sun is hitting directly on that spot the paint coverage wasn't sprayed on as even as it should have been.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Bad news - good news:

Bad news is (as mentioned) many of the body panels of these cars are less than perfect from day one. So, there is often some minor fitment needed to 'get it right'.

The good news is everything is adjustable! And, from what I can see, your adjustments are pretty minor, i.e., won't require aligning the rest of the panels as a group to "fix" the one issue (hood).

Where you could start with how the door is hung and work your way to the gill panel and front bumper and then finally to the hood to get it "perfect", or you can loosen the hinge attachments just a bit and the 3-bolt latch pin plates and relocate the latches 1/8" toward the passenger side. Then close the hood to force the alignment.

You might have to make several attempts before you're satisfied, but fixing it is very doable; just takes time and patience.

Oh! And, don't do like I did one time... After I got everything lined up to fit and look even better than from the factory, I got distracted and didn't tighten ALL of the adjustments. When I went for a drive, the FIRST pot hole I hit and a whole day's worth of work went down the tube - had to start all over again. ARGH!
BV85 (05-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Panel fitment issue?

Quick Reply: Panel fitment issue?