1986 Corvette C4 Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Corvette C4 Radiator

Hey Guys,

Do you have any recommendations where I could get a GM C4 radiator or something as close as possible. Is it even possible to get these?

Originally, I bought one from Autozone - but it's no good, the position of the drain plug is directly below the lower transmission line inlet, making it hit the frame of the shroud. The position of the plug should be slightly to the LEFT OF THE LOWER TRANSMISSION LINE INLET.

I would go for one from Summit racing, but, it's over $500 dollars and probably has far more performance than I need.

Looking closely at the positioning of the plug on another radiator by OSC on RockAuto, it seems to be positioned identically to my original radiator (which has a GM marking on it).

Cheers,

Ved

Last edited by Ved; 05-19-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Go to Zip Corvette (or any other) and get a factory replacement.

Unless you are racing a fully prepped engine the factory radiator will cool just fine.

Plus, it has the added benefit of being correct in fitment.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Ved
Intermediate

I checked their website a few days ago - they have the exact same position of the drain plug as the AutoZone radiator, i.e. the plug is located directly below the lower transmission line inlet (and not slightly to the left of it, as on the factory radiator). This would once again cause a fitment issue.

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Go to Zip Corvette (or any other) and get a factory replacement.

Unless you are racing a fully prepped engine the factory radiator will cool just fine.

Plus, it has the added benefit of being correct in fitment.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:21 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Ved
I checked their website a few days ago - they have the exact same position of the drain plug as the AutoZone radiator, .
Website "artwork" can be deceiving. The website "catalogs" are designed by graphic artists who occasionally upload "stock" photos and use them as representations. To the artisit "any radiator picture will do." Often these web artists are not car people, unschooled in OEM nuances and rarely do they go to the loading dock and snap a shot of the actual piece as it is being unpacked. (Most of this stuff gets drop shipped anyway to it is virtually impossible to get a 100% accurate photo).

My recommendation is to make a phone call to a reputable parts supplier (zip, Ecklers, Corvette America...etc) and talk to a service rep and ask for an original spec OEM radiator. These people will be more helpful than baseing your decision on a generic web photo.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 05-20-2018 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ved (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Ved
I would go for one from Summit racing, but, it's over $500 dollars and probably has far more performance than I need.
I'd say this. How cheap do you want to go? Good things aren't cheap because they can't and/or don't have to be. Cheap things aren't good because they can't be.

More performance than you need doesn't hurt you other than putting out more money. Lousy quality makes you work harder to get it to spec. See above statement. So how cheap, IOW, how much work are you willing to do and low quality you are willing to put up with? That should answer your question. My DeWitts one slipped in with minimal adjustment and no fitment problems other than trimming something out to make way for a larger core and maybe a couple of spacers that were easy to insert.

When you ask how cheap you can go, the question is how much aggravation you are willing to put up with.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Ved
Intermediate

Yea, this is very true. Good point. I'll call a few of the suppliers to see if they have the OEM part.

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Website "artwork" can be deceiving. The website "catalogs" are designed by graphic artists who occasionally upload "stock" photos and use them as representations. To the artisit "any radiator picture will do." Often these web artists are not car people, unschooled in OEM nuances and rarely do they go to the loading dock and snap a shot of the actual piece as it is being unpacked. (Most of this stuff gets drop shipped anyway to it is virtually impossible to get a 100% accurate photo).

My recommendation is to make a phone call to a reputable parts supplier (zip, Ecklers, Corvette America...etc) and talk to a service rep and ask for an original spec OEM radiator. These people will be more helpful than baseing your decision on a generic web photo.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Corvette C4 Radiator

Quick Reply: 1986 Corvette C4 Radiator