Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 568 Posts

Road force balance!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Having seen what some places do lifting a Vette, I take the rims in for them to mount the tires and take them home and put them back on the car myself. That way I can raise it and support it correctly.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by hcbph
Having seen what some places do lifting a Vette, I take the rims in for them to mount the tires and take them home and put them back on the car myself. That way I can raise it and support it correctly.
Exactly.

Hope you have better luck with Nittos than I had. Bought the same tires, except in 275/40/17 all around. If you get vibrations you didn't have before, check them out. Mine were bought last year (2017) with a late 2016 build date (check out the DOT codes there will be a week nbr and year there).

The ones I had flat spotted, vibrated, shook the car. NTB warrantied the tires out, I bought better Coopers for a small difference in price (NTB credited me the entire price of the Nittos and the mounting and balancing). They were balanced multiple times on conventional as well as on a Hunter Road Force machine.

My car rides absolutely smooth now. No vibrations. With the Nittos, if it sat for 3 days, the car would shake like I was running square wheels until the tires warmed up, and still there was a vibration.

If you have problems, don't expect Nitto to be any assistance. Their customer service rep's solution was to put the car on jackstands any time I parked it for a day or so.

Yep I am down on Nittos. Never again will I buy their tires. So just be aware.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by tmirisola
I purchased a set of Nitto 555 G2 Tires for my 1995 C4 Coupe Today

2- 255-45-17

2- 285-40-17

Summer Rated at 140mph Plus. Not that I will ever go that fast :-o

Total Price $602 for the set including Shipping

Any Suggestions?????

Thanks
If you already bought the tires, what kind of suggestions are you looking for?

I bought Continental Extreme contact DWs a couple years ago (same sizes as yours above), pretty happy with their quality, performance and price. They don't have the highest performance but then I'm not a very aggressive driver, just normal driving with occasional spirited runs

I was thinking about trying the Nitto 555s next time, but now am reconsidering. Not too many choices for these sizes but there are still a few out there.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
Exactly.

Hope you have better luck with Nittos than I had. Bought the same tires, except in 275/40/17 all around. If you get vibrations you didn't have before, check them out. Mine were bought last year (2017) with a late 2016 build date (check out the DOT codes there will be a week nbr and year there).

The ones I had flat spotted, vibrated, shook the car. NTB warrantied the tires out, I bought better Coopers for a small difference in price (NTB credited me the entire price of the Nittos and the mounting and balancing). They were balanced multiple times on conventional as well as on a Hunter Road Force machine.

My car rides absolutely smooth now. No vibrations. With the Nittos, if it sat for 3 days, the car would shake like I was running square wheels until the tires warmed up, and still there was a vibration.

If you have problems, don't expect Nitto to be any assistance. Their customer service rep's solution was to put the car on jackstands any time I parked it for a day or so.

Yep I am down on Nittos. Never again will I buy their tires. So just be aware.
I have the same tires on my '92 and they only vibrate after winter storage for a few miles. In better weather I drive it about once a week and never have vibration issues.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
If you already bought the tires, what kind of suggestions are you looking for?

I bought Continental Extreme contact DWs a couple years ago (same sizes as yours above), pretty happy with their quality, performance and price. They don't have the highest performance but then I'm not a very aggressive driver, just normal driving with occasional spirited runs

I was thinking about trying the Nitto 555s next time, but now am reconsidering. Not too many choices for these sizes but there are still a few out there.
I'm on my 3rd set of 555s. They have been good to me. No vibrations here, but they do suck in rain.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I just go my car back on the road. After sitting for 6 months the Nitto's were fine. No matter what you buy someone is going to hate them and others think they are great.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
drcook
Safety Car

To imagine how bad the ones I had shook, put your hands up like you have them on the wheel at 10 and 2 and then move/shake your hands forward and back a few inches, that is how bad they were until they warmed up.

I live a little over a mile from the entrance to the highway, actually 3 highways and they are the best way to get around. I would have to warm the tires up 8 miles or so before getting on the highway so they wouldn't damage something from the shaking.

As I said, after their rep told me to put the car up on jackstands, I will never again buy, nor recommend Nittos and will tell everyone my story, whether they want to hear or not. When a company treats me like that, I get a burr under the saddle so to speak.

I completely realize that it could have been a defective tire or tires, but his response and solution told me how much they value their customers.

My dad was a tire designer for Goodyear Tire here in Akron. He was part of the Cad/Cam program Goodyear implemented (early to mid 60's) when the rest of the tire companies were still using pencil and paper and wrote the program that was a wire frame rotating tire that Goodyear showcased on a Super Bowl ad many many moons ago.

As such, I have always had performance tires using his discount, or my discount when I worked for Goodyear Aerospace (at that time a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire). On all the different performance cars I have had and all the tires, this was the first time that I had a set like this and the first time that I had a customer service rep tell me that.

Last edited by drcook; 05-23-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:49 AM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My nittos are fine so far as they came on the car. I think they are a few years old but only have 1 or 2k on them. Have a bit of a vibe but it is the usual 55-65mph so I believe a balance job will cure that. I normally drive 90+ so not a big deal.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 PM
drcook
Safety Car

It also could be a bit climate related. Many of you who say your Nittos are fine, don't live here in Ohio. When I first started noticing the problems was the morning of leaving for the Vette show over in Carlisle Pa. It was in the low 50's that August morning, which was abnormal for us.

The tires on my truck will sit all winter and not shake,flat spot etc from sitting. And that is when temps will go below zero and stay there for days.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:19 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Nitto screwed the pooch with drcook. What a BS statement to a "customer", why not meet up with or have a tire tech find out what the customer is experiencing?
No....they not only lost a customer, but pissed one off.
Now you get the "what tires should I buy" thread, guys like drcook will go and "share their experience" with other posters....maybe scare them away from trying Nittos, so not only did the Nitto rep lose one customer, but ones they will never know the lost.

Good job regional Nitto rep!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:46 PM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Two buddies have them on their mustangs and swear by them so far. They told me the 555 GS was a better design for the rain than the old 555's. I just asked one friend and he has no problem with flat spots or vibration. His car sat all winter and ran smooth the 1st time out this season. We shall soon see, they get delivered tomorrow and the Vette comes out of storage on Friday. Hopefully get mounted over the weekend.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:12 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

[QUOTE
My dad was a tire designer for Goodyear Tire here in Akron. He was part of the Cad/Cam program Goodyear implemented (early to mid 60's) when the rest of the tire companies were still using pencil and paper and wrote the program that was a wire frame rotating tire that Goodyear showcased on a Super Bowl ad many many moons ago.

As such, I have always had performance tires using his discount, or my discount when I worked for Goodyear Aerospace (at that time a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire). On all the different performance cars I have had and all the tires, this was the first time that I had a set like this and the first time that I had a customer service rep tell me that.[/QUOTE]

This begs the question; if you used and were satisfied with Goodyear tires, why would you make a change in what you Buy? Most car guys form brand loyalty early on (esp tires and oil).
Old 05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
djpink889
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Definitely get them road force balanced. Bought a set of 555G2s last Sept and had them road force balanced. Rides almost as smoothly as my Olds Regency. Temps haven't bothered me, and I live in Ohio too. Rain hasn't been a problem either.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:12 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey5
[QUOTE

As such, I have always had performance tires using his discount, or my discount when I worked for Goodyear Aerospace (at that time a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire). On all the different performance cars I have had and all the tires, this was the first time that I had a set like this and the first time that I had a customer service rep tell me that.
This begs the question; if you used and were satisfied with Goodyear tires, why would you make a change in what you Buy? Most car guys form brand loyalty early on (esp tires and oil).[/QUOTE]

He bought a set of Coopers that I have on another car I own. Goodyear and Cooper both made in the USA and the Coopers he bought had a $100 rebate. Goodyears are a great tire, but kind of pricey.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

I have those tires on my truck. They're not bad, butbnot amazing either. Not great in rain or cold, my Colorado with a stock 5.3 will smoke 275s if I'm not careful.

I just bought some general 595ss for my c4, 310 shipped for all 4. Should make for good burnout tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchased New Tires Today

Quick Reply: Purchased New Tires Today