C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Got some respect today

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:43 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Default C4 Got some respect today

On the topic of C4 respect that occurs here.

I went to a work car show event (begged me to) that is also open to the public.

There were lots of nice old 60's muscle cars like: Camaros', mustangs, mopars, etc, even a couple ricers, along with some new mopars.

The ratty C4 is what everyone came and sat around and drooled over today.

I don't generally enjoy talking about my car or repeating a list of mods, since I forgot the papers, but people all wanted to know what year and WTF?

I actually felt bad for the guys with real muscle cars and vipers and new cars.

Either way some of them seen the light when I said, I don't have to panic if something happens to it, many said yep it is not even enjoyable. I said well, I can just hop in have a bast and no major worries. That is the old C4.

Anyways to the guys that love these things, people even appreciate the abortions like mine
The following users liked this post:
Dacer Spears (12-15-2022)
Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

It's funny you mention that you don't have to care about what happens to it and just get in and drive it. That's how the old musclecars were until I guess 30 years ago. I mean you watch movies and TV shows from the mid 80s to the early 90s and you still see a lot of the old stuff rolling around in the background.

Granted cars get driven a lot more now but I'd guess the majority of vehicles on the road are <10 years old. With the majority of the remainder being <20.

Back on topic, good to hear something positive for a change lol. Drive the crap out of her and forget about the haters.
sahhas (11-21-2021)
Old 06-10-2018, 04:49 PM
JETSTEEL
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by pologreen1
On the topic of C4 respect that occurs here.

I went to a work car show event (begged me to) that is also open to the public.

There were lots of nice old 60's muscle cars like: Camaros', mustangs, mopars, etc, even a couple ricers, along with some new mopars.

The ratty C4 is what everyone came and sat around and drooled over today.

I don't generally enjoy talking about my car or repeating a list of mods, since I forgot the papers, but people all wanted to know what year and WTF?

I actually felt bad for the guys with real muscle cars and vipers and new cars.

Either way some of them seen the light when I said, I don't have to panic if something happens to it, many said yep it is not even enjoyable. I said well, I can just hop in have a bast and no major worries. That is the old C4.

Anyways to the guys that love these things, people even appreciate the abortions like mine

i hear ya...way to represent us guys
Dacer Spears (12-15-2022)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It makes me proud every time I get a nice compliment when I am out. Especially since mine is just a very good DD. No flashy aftermarket anything, paint in good shape but not NCRS quality. I’m just proud to own and maintain an American icon. Kudos to all Corvette owners that love their cars and drive them. Ken
The following 3 users liked this post by Kens94:
jehuds10 (11-16-2021), puufgone (11-10-2021), wilcar (11-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:19 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
It's funny you mention that you don't have to care about what happens to it and just get in and drive it. That's how the old musclecars were until I guess 30 years ago. I mean you watch movies and TV shows from the mid 80s to the early 90s and you still see a lot of the old stuff rolling around in the background.

Granted cars get driven a lot more now but I'd guess the majority of vehicles on the road are <10 years old. With the majority of the remainder being <20.

Back on topic, good to hear something positive for a change lol. Drive the crap out of her and forget about the haters.

Yeah, I got the "car guy" talk today about value.

Guy says "oh you have the same wheels as my '98 camaro convertible." It's worth $45k, they said I could get more at an auction" "It has the same parts as the corvette and only 400 were made like that and is the first year of the LS1 and has 750hp from the factory, and the tires were $1k a piece".

I said wow you really got a special car there, he said yep 3,500 miles on it and it it will be worth more an more...

Too much for me to even deal with.
puufgone (11-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:44 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

My box stock 95 lt1 car with an auto trans and soft ride suspension will go over one hundred and fifty five miles per hour. My car will go 400 miles in four hours, without stopping. This type of performance doesn't even compute with ninety nine point nine percent of the driving public. The point is this, you cant respect the car, until you are a competent driver, and since almost no one is, its impossible to care what the others think.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
ghelle (11-18-2021), Incorvettei (11-10-2021)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:04 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Guy says "oh you have the same wheels as my '98 camaro convertible." It's worth $45k, they said I could get more at an auction" "It has the same parts as the corvette and only 400 were made like that and is the first year of the LS1 and has 750hp from the factory, and the tires were $1k a piece".

I said wow you really got a special car there, he said yep 3,500 miles on it and it it will be worth more an more...

Old 06-11-2018, 10:34 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Lol. Some people just get me.

I drive em all. Even the 55. Lifes to short to think about what may be when what can be can be had now.
puufgone (11-10-2021)
Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

That's cool.
I rarely am around car people, though recently got nice compliments/remarks about my '88 and yes it felt good.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Lol. Some people just get me.

I drive em all. Even the 55. Lifes to short to think about what may be when what can be can be had now.
Yup, as I've seen said here many times "Why save your girlfriend for the next guy?!?"
Old 06-12-2018, 08:37 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
Yup, as I've seen said here many times "Why save your girlfriend for the next guy?!?"
I have a T-Bird and a Vette. Neither are the 'desirable' models, but both are mine and paid for. If it has to sit in a glass done, that's called a museum, not a garage. Mine are in a garage and get exercised a fair amount. Yes I've gotten a ding or two on them as well as a scratch or two. That's life - fix it and get on with it.

I won't own something I can't drive.

PS it seems the young kids or the older folks that grew up C4's are the ones that appreciate them the most. Nothing better than getting a thumbs up while out and about.

Last edited by hcbph; 06-12-2018 at 08:38 AM.
puufgone (11-10-2021)
Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 PM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

How do you keep your eyes from rolling completely backwards?
SH-60B (11-17-2021)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Fred T. Meyer
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a dark metallic red coupe. I have owned it since 2005. and it has won 74 plaques and trophies in competition such as AutoRama and Corvette Expo. This Corvette has earned lots of respect.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:10 AM
Duc96cr
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If you want to use historic plates you will find a way to do it. I find it hard to believe your LE has that much spare time and nothing more constructive to do than harass antique car owners. Those are some really bored police.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:06 AM
Chris44m
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

i always taste a little stomach bile, when people yap at me like that.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:47 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Duc96cr
If you want to use historic plates you will find a way to do it. I find it hard to believe your LE has that much spare time and nothing more constructive to do than harass antique car owners. Those are some really bored police.
If I was going to do it the way I want to do it, it would attract attention. Indiana has a program where you can use a license plate from the year of manufacture, which I want to do, but they also have a lot of restrictions on what you can do with your car when it is registered as a collector car, which I don't want.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:12 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 302 Posts

Accidentally drive into car show (seriously was just following some cool looking cars and ended up there). Decided WTH and started walking around. Came up and started chatting with a C5 owner, roughly went like this:
Me - "What year?"
Guy - "2000"
Me - "Cool, it's a nice C5"
Guy - "No, it's a C6, it's really rare"
Me - "Are you sure? C6s didn't start until...."
Guy - "Yes, see the redline is at 6 which means it's a C6"
Me - "Ummmmm...are you sure?"
Guy - "Yeah a guy told me"
Me - "OK cool car, have a nice one!"

Poor soul...even if confused with a Z06 ouch...

Old 11-18-2021, 04:45 AM
Chris44m
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by pedricd
Accidentally drive into car show (seriously was just following some cool looking cars and ended up there). Decided WTH and started walking around. Came up and started chatting with a C5 owner, roughly went like this:
Me - "What year?"
Guy - "2000"
Me - "Cool, it's a nice C5"
Guy - "No, it's a C6, it's really rare"
Me - "Are you sure? C6s didn't start until...."
Guy - "Yes, see the redline is at 6 which means it's a C6"
Me - "Ummmmm...are you sure?"
Guy - "Yeah a guy told me"
Me - "OK cool car, have a nice one!"

Poor soul...even if confused with a Z06 ouch...
That's incredible, I know not everyone is a car guy, but not knowing one generation from the next is bad form. but to each their own!

Last year i went to a car show, cleaned my car up, my Son puts these shows on for a charity, so I help register cars.

I put the original sticker price of my car, for fun, The 96 convertible LT4 base price was $47,075....two C8 guys were looking around the car, one stopped and pointed to the sticker, and said holy ****!!.

hahaha

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Got some respect today

Quick Reply: C4 Got some respect today