C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Getting 96 back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 12:20 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Default Getting 96 back on the road

Just bought a 96 CE, picking it up in 10 days or so. 40k miles.

Its got full MX history, but hasnt been driven but 2000 miles in the last 10 years. Has 18 year old coolant, I think 10 year old brake fluid, etc... Has newer battery from 2015, has had a rear brake pad change, but no front pad change. Has almost 20 year old tires on it. Has had oil changes done almost yearly, had rear end fluid changed at least 3 times, dont see that a transmission fluid change has ever been done. I have not seen the car in person yet, only pictures. The car itself is immaculate, but it needs a little work to make it reliable and have a baseline for fluids mainly.

My thoughts were this:
tires(Toyo R888R)
brake rotors, pads, fluid, lines all the way around
coolant, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses
serpentine belt(Continental Elite)
spark plugs(TR55's)
full lubricant change in engine, trans and rear end(all Amsoil)
fuel filter

That was my plan, however I am re-thinking the brakes. I will still do a fluid flush and most likely lines(stainless), but not sure the pads and rotors NEED to be changed, plus that would save me nearly 300 bucks I could put into other things.

Anybody got any other thoughts on bringing this car back to full road worthy status beside what I have outlined above?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Unless pads/rotors need changing you're probably fine with pads/rotors, even brake fluid is probably fine. Same with plugs too. I would concentrate on routine fluids first...oil, coolant, transmission, difs, etc. Basically hard to know for sure until you see the car in person.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:01 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I would bleed the brakes. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs water). Getting fresh clean fluid through the system will help you evaluate the condition of the rest of the components and how the car stops, ABS works correctly, etc.

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/brake-fluid/
Old 07-02-2018, 08:56 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Oh I'm doing brake fluid for sure. I change it every 2 years in everything I own.

I guess I will evaluate the rest of the brake system once I see it.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:04 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs

Its got full MX history, but hasnt been driven but 2000 miles in the last 10 years. Has 18 year old coolant, I think 10 year old brake fluid, etc... Has newer battery from 2015, has had a rear brake pad change, but no front pad change. Has almost 20 year old tires on it. Has had oil changes done almost yearly, had rear end fluid changed at least 3 times, dont see that a transmission fluid change has ever been done. I have not seen the car in person yet, only pictures. The car itself is immaculate, but it needs a little work to make it reliable and have a baseline for fluids mainly.

My thoughts were this:
tires(Toyo R888R)
spark plugs(TR55's)
fuel filter

That was my plan, however I am re-thinking the brakes. I will still do a fluid flush and most likely lines(stainless), but not sure the pads and rotors NEED to be changed, plus that would save me nearly 300 bucks I could put into other things.

Anybody got any other thoughts on bringing this car back to full road worthy status beside what I have outlined above?
Got any pictures of your future '96???
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like a solid plan!
Old 07-02-2018, 01:41 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
Got any pictures of your future '96???

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks great !!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Let the owner know even though it looks great its going to need a fair amount of money thrown at it.
18 yr old coolant, freeze plugs and heater cores dont mix well. Bought right the cars worth it, most are really worn out looking these days.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

When you do the coolant change the knock sensors to get all of the crud out of the cooling system.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JimLentz
When you do the coolant change the knock sensors to get all of the crud out of the cooling system.
Thats the plan.

Going to drain the gas tank as well when we do the fuel filter.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Let the owner know even though it looks great its going to need a fair amount of money thrown at it.
18 yr old coolant, freeze plugs and heater cores dont mix well. Bought right the cars worth it, most are really worn out looking these days.
I paid what I felt was a good price knowing going in I was going to put some money into it.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM
turbobuick33
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How much did you pay for your c4 CE?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:54 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

My thoughts were this:
tires(Toyo R888R)
spark plugs(TR55's)
fuel filter

Research my posts about the amount of $ spent on repairs/pm in little over a year. that should keep you awake at night. this month will be $1,440 for A/C and 2 tires. best of luck with yours.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johno504
Research my posts about the amount of $ spent on repairs/pm in little over a year. that should keep you awake at night. this month will be $1,440 for A/C and 2 tires. best of luck with yours.
no offense, but reading your thread you are paying for labor and it seems you are getting taken for a ride on the repairs...

I do 100% of all of my labor. I cant say I have paid for labor on anything in the last 15 years outside of somebody to do the tuning since I am not good with computers.

I dont plan to spend a ton on this car, thats why I am buying a cherry example of a car.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:29 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Buying a cherry example is the way to do it and yours looks like a really nice example!

I like those sill covers. I don't think that I've seen those before. Are they padded?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 AM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

If you can do your own labor, then I feel theses cars are actually pretty cheap to maintain. I picked up a 94 a few months back and even though it was already in good shape, I wanted to be sure it was daily driver reliable so I’ve put a lot of work into fixing anything I felt was questionable from a reliability standpoint. Even though I’ve done a laundry list of work to it, I really don’t have much money invested in it at all. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised how easy it is to work on (in my opinion).

Get notified of new replies

To Getting 96 back on the road

Old 07-06-2018, 11:28 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Buying a cherry example is the way to do it and yours looks like a really nice example!

I like those sill covers. I don't think that I've seen those before. Are they padded?
No clue, like I said, I have not seen the car in person yet. They "look" padded, but I dont know.

Originally Posted by JBPC4
If you can do your own labor, then I feel theses cars are actually pretty cheap to maintain. I picked up a 94 a few months back and even though it was already in good shape, I wanted to be sure it was daily driver reliable so I’ve put a lot of work into fixing anything I felt was questionable from a reliability standpoint. Even though I’ve done a laundry list of work to it, I really don’t have much money invested in it at all. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised how easy it is to work on (in my opinion).
Yea, ive been researching all of the common issues these cars have like opti spark, water pump, etc... and the prices arent crazy and I am capable of doing all of my own work. The most expensive "common" items seem to be water pump and opti spark replacement, but lots of good aftermarket optispark units out there and there are still OE AC Delco water pumps out there also.

LT4 motor=bullet proof
ZF6 transmission=bullet proof
D44HD rear end=bullet proof

One big reason I have owned 3 Corvettes(this is my 4th) is the community. If there is an issue with the car, the community figures out the best fix, has VERY detailed DIY's and TONS of people on here to guide and give advice.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:56 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

no offense, but reading your thread you are paying for labor and it seems you are getting taken for a ride on the repairs...

I do 100% of all of my labor. I cant say I have paid for labor on anything in the last 15 years outside of somebody to do the tuning since I am not good with computers.

I dont plan to spend a ton on this car, thats why I am buying a cherry example of a car.
I didn't plan to spend a ton on the car, that's why I purchased a cherry CE LT4 at Barrett-Jackson. well...... that logic did not work for me. my best advice , pay to have the ECM reprogramed to turn the fans on/off sooner.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:34 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johno504
pay to have the ECM reprogramed to turn the fans on/off sooner.
Im going to be doing a DeWitts/SPAL fan upgrade...

Quick Reply: Getting 96 back on the road