C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Some DIC lights don't illuminate on start-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:22 PM
bcbcbc
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some DIC lights don't illuminate on start-up

Hello group, I haven't seen this particular problem yet in a thread, or I missed it. On start-up, I'm to understand all the DIC lights illuminate momentarily. My ASR OFF, Low Coolant, and Service Ride Control (yes I have the option) lights don't illuminate on start-up. I took apart the DIC (surprisingly not a hard job) and checked the three bulbs and sockets and all checked good for continuity and I got them to light on the bench. Only thing I could think of is their contacts on the circuit board, but I didn't see any problems there, the metal surfaces all looked clean. Is there something else controlling these three lights for a "bulb check" or is it possible they don't light on start-up. Any help would be appreciated as I've run out of ideas and I do like everything working. BTW, the ASR OFF light doesn't come on when I press the ASR button, must I be driving at a certain speed for this to happen? Thank you group.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:13 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

You don't state year, but I suspect a late model C4, but according to my 96 manual the ASR system active light and Service Ride Control Light comes on briefly when I turn the ignition key to RUN, The Low Coolant Warning Light doesn't come on. Next time I'm in my Vette I will have to watch to verify.

The ASR OFF light should come on whenever you press the button, it is not related to speed.

I don't recall if the EBTCM (Electronic Brake Traction Control Module) controls these lights or the BCM does based on inputs for the EBTCM. The EBTCM is located in the compartment behind the drivers seat, maybe try re-seating the connector.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:48 AM
bcbcbc
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bac22
You don't state year, but I suspect a late model C4, but according to my 96 manual the ASR system active light and Service Ride Control Light comes on briefly when I turn the ignition key to RUN, The Low Coolant Warning Light doesn't come on. Next time I'm in my Vette I will have to watch to verify.

The ASR OFF light should come on whenever you press the button, it is not related to speed.

I don't recall if the EBTCM (Electronic Brake Traction Control Module) controls these lights or the BCM does based on inputs for the EBTCM. The EBTCM is located in the compartment behind the drivers seat, maybe try re-seating the connector.
Thank you, I will look into it.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

You may also have burned out bulb, removed bulb or a previous owner taped over the DIC lights.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:42 PM
bcbcbc
4th Gear

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
You may also have burned out bulb, removed bulb or a previous owner taped over the DIC lights.
Thank you, but in my initial post I mentioned I already ruled these out.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:58 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

It’s normal. All of the important DIC lights come on as a bulb check, but there are a few lights that for whatever reason GM did not see fit to include with the diagnostic check. This is true for late model LT1 cars at least, not sure about the older style dash.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:55 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JBPC4
It’s normal. All of the important DIC lights come on as a bulb check, but there are a few lights that for whatever reason GM did not see fit to include with the diagnostic check. This is true for late model LT1 cars at least, not sure about the older style dash.
Not quite, I just checked and the ASR system active light and Service Ride Control Light did come on briefly when I turn the ignition key...my owners manual states that this should happen as well. Might want to see if the module is throwing errors, especially since your saying the ASR light isn't working correctly.

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...trouble-codes/
Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah even though it’s normal for some not to come on, the asr light should come on. Does the asr work?

Get notified of new replies

To Some DIC lights don't illuminate on start-up

Quick Reply: Some DIC lights don't illuminate on start-up