Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

cool "sticker"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:03 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Seems most don't follow, but The U.S. Flag Code says, “The Flag Code addresses the impropriety of using the flag as an article of personal adornment, a design of items of temporary use, and item of clothing. The evident purpose of these suggested restraints is to limit the commercial or common usage of the flag, and, thus, maintain its dignity.”

I'm not a fan of it either on the car and I do think the flag isn't taken as seriously in this country as it once was.

Last edited by bac22; 07-16-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Thats cool.. your opinion noted. I presume you pull over trucks with the flag flown from the pickup bed.. Id like to see that
that is about as smart as cat ****, but at least its the whole flag. you asked for opinions and you got them. most not what your looking for
Old 07-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Yeah that is my thought.. the last thing I want to do is try to turn it into something it is not.. this is the mistake many make when they try and "make it their own"... You have to go with its root..

The car is clearly a strong example of made in USA.
It is considered 'fast'. The flag design clearly represents a flag that is being blown hard.
and of course its directional.. the car is moving in the direction the flag is being flown..

And they key is, as you point out, I think ANYTHING done on the c4 needs to be very subtle to not mess with the original design.

Anyway.. my thoughts.
This is what I meant when saying color is important. That black on bright red is hideous. But a slight shade darker red MIGHT help.

This is about all the sticker I can stand on mine. Does it make it my own enough?

NCM Motorsports Park.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
that is about as smart as cat ****, but at least its the whole flag. you asked for opinions and you got them. most not what your looking for
I rather enjoy negative opinions. Nonissue. But if you are going to tell me Im being disrespectful by flying old glory on the side of an american made car then you are high..

Now, you want to take up disrespect? Here ya go.. here is old glory on the side of a japanese made brand. Go tell Kyle Bush he is disrespectful. The statement was the the us flag is not a decoration.. Now, if you want to say, that design sucks so bad that its disrespectful fine!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
Seems most don't follow, but The U.S. Flag Code says, “The Flag Code addresses the impropriety of using the flag as an article of personal adornment, a design of items of temporary use, and item of clothing. The evident purpose of these suggested restraints is to limit the commercial or common usage of the flag, and, thus, maintain its dignity.”

I'm not a fan of it either on the car and I do think the flag isn't taken as seriously in this country as it once was.
Which is why Chevy had to ditch it from the original Corvette crossed flags logo just prior to the unveiling. Nice tie-in.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Renfield
This is what I meant when saying color is important. That black on bright red is hideous. But a slight shade darker red MIGHT help.

This is about all the sticker I can stand on mine. Does it make it my own enough?

NCM Motorsports Park.

No, its subtle and I stated that the black on red was too bold.. seems people cant read though.

I have many many miles logged on Road America. Has a very special meaning to me as well.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Which is why Chevy had to ditch it from the original Corvette crossed flags logo just prior to the unveiling. Nice tie-in.
Interesting.. if this is true it shouldnt be on anything other than an actual flag. If Im reading it right? I think I am..
Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

"at the time" and Commercial products.

"When Chevrolet was preparing their new Corvette sports car in the early '50s, the task of designing the logo fell to Chevy interior designer Robert Bartholomew. Bartholomew's design (above) featured two crossed flags: One, the checkered flag that symbolized race victory, the other, the American Stars 'n Stripes.

However, using the American flag to promote commercial products was illegal at the time, and Chevy execs reportedly decided at the last minute to nix that part of the design. (It's not clear why they waited until four days before the car's unveiling, but you can practically picture Bartholomew sitting at his drafting table going goddammit.) Bartholomew's last-minute replacement was a flag sporting both the Chevrolet logo and a fleur-de-lis, a French symbol that was reportedly part of Louis Chevrolet's family crest."

Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

It might have something to do with a black American flag, that's not right.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kael
It might have something to do with a black American flag, that's not right.
that and it’s incomplete. If you want to have the flag on your car get a window decal or sticker of the whole flag in the correct stance
Old 07-16-2018, 02:44 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

I've decided not to move ahead with this project. This is clearly thought of as a very disrespectful and therefore unpatriotic artists rendering of the US flag.

Thank you for your opinions and advice.

Quick Reply: cool "sticker"