C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Arrrgh

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Williamlindsey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arrrgh

Went to replace the ICM today while disconnecting the wire connectors, they disentegrated (plastic pieces inside the distributor one I can repair with a little super glue the one that runs from coil to ICM is beyond repair. was wanting to get this done today, as monday I am having cataract surgery.won't be able to do anything for at least a week. the OE part number is 1892261 coil to ICM. found them on ecklers both but only the coil to icm on corvette america.
I am about to throw a match to it. everytime I get something fixed something else breaks or a simple job turns into 3 or four jobs because the brittleness of the parts you have to move or remove to fix the original problem.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:50 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 84. The plastic fell apart and looked hopeless. I ended up taping them up till I could get new or better used pieces. I ran the car for over a year that way till I found a used complete distributor that was as good as new. It may not have looked the best, but it worked just fine. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:24 PM
MissileDoc
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Williamlindsey
Went to replace the ICM today while disconnecting the wire connectors, they disentegrated (plastic pieces inside the distributor one I can repair with a little super glue the one that runs from coil to ICM is beyond repair. was wanting to get this done today, as monday I am having cataract surgery.won't be able to do anything for at least a week. the OE part number is 1892261 coil to ICM. found them on ecklers both but only the coil to icm on corvette america.
I am about to throw a match to it. everytime I get something fixed something else breaks or a simple job turns into 3 or four jobs because the brittleness of the parts you have to move or remove to fix the original problem.
There are numerous sites that may have the connectors you need. Here are a couple with GM connectors. Google is your friend!
https://www.weatherpack.com/
https://www.wiringproducts.com/gener...ectors-sockets

Old 08-04-2018, 08:21 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Dont get frustrated.... you have an old Chevy.... its just part of the game.... Youre absolutely right... one thing always leads to another.... Eventually, the end does come if you service the entire system that you happen to be having an issue with. For example.... If you have to change your radiator hoses, you will need to do the T-stat, all the other hoses in the cooling system and a proper block and radiator flush....why not change the sensor for the temp gauge, the coolant temp sensor and even a new knock sensor (s)....... that should keep the cooling system up to snuff for a good while. If you just replaced the upper and lower hoses, then you can pretty much count on another cooling system related issue to come up much sooner than later. thats how you begin building a reliable engine....:Then its on to the next problem and addressing its system...cheers:
Old 08-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Dont get frustrated.... you have an old Chevy.... its just part of the game.... Youre absolutely right... one thing always leads to another.... Eventually, the end does come if you service the entire system that you happen to be having an issue with. For example.... If you have to change your radiator hoses, you will need to do the T-stat, all the other hoses in the cooling system and a proper block and radiator flush....why not change the sensor for the temp gauge, the coolant temp sensor and even a new knock sensor (s)....... that should keep the cooling system up to snuff for a good while. If you just replaced the upper and lower hoses, then you can pretty much count on another cooling system related issue to come up much sooner than later. thats how you begin building a reliable engine....:Then its on to the next problem and addressing its system...cheers:
Yeah w/ John.

Owning a 23-35 year old Corvette is best looked at as a HOBBY car. It will require a lot of TLC in the best of circumstances, and a LOT MORE if the car was neglected in a previous life!

Get notified of new replies

To Arrrgh

Quick Reply: Arrrgh